Now that is big!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
....and they went broke while building it....

To what end?

Keith

Babel.

Impressive. I suppose the skill will be trying NOT to fly into it...

I also think it's the world's largest middle finger and they probably hoped y'all could see it from Washington.... :)

I wouldn't even stay on the GROUND floor.....:worried:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
From a flying aspect, it will make the Minimum Safe Altitude (MSA) over Dubai probably in excess of 5000 feet. (The minimum altitude that can be flown in Instrument Meteorological Conditions, i.e. in cloud).
Typical conspicuous consumption by a nearly bankrupt nation.
Once again bailed out by His Highness Sheikh Khalifa.
10 degrees cooler at the summit than at the base. Probably a great base jump.
A tour de force of engineering but would you want to live there. Not me.

Last edited:
Anybody remember the book/movie "The Towering Inferno"?

Imagine what would happen if a fire broke on on, say, the 40th floor of this monstrosity. The world's biggest Roman Candle, and it would make the Twin Towers falling look about as significant as a game of Jenga!

I travel all over the world for a living, and especially in third-world countries, I try my best to get a hotel room high enough above the street to make a car bomb blast survivable, but low enough that I could potentially be rescued afterwards....

David,
You got that right, he holds the mortgage on it. I been up the CN Tower many times and it's 555 meters, this thing is 828 meters. What I really wonder is at the end of their life cycles how do they bring them down with everything built up around them.
Dave

its almost to high to see the top...
and a apartment cost in the millions :stunned:
if you can't pay it anymore you jump of the balcon and enjoy your flight as long as it last :laugh:

Keith

David,
You got that right, he holds the mortgage on it. I been up the CN Tower many times and it's 555 meters, this thing is 828 meters. What I really wonder is at the end of their life cycles how do they bring them down with everything built up around them.
Dave

Call Osama Bin Laden on his Sat phone. :lipsrsealed:

What I don't really get about it is that the traditional logic for going high has been that it's less expensive on a leasable square foot basis to go taller than increase the footprint and gain square footage that way - hence in NY and Tokyo there are some very tall buildings because the costs of increasing the base footprint are higher than simply building taller (most cities have a height cap so there's an absolute limit). In Dubai, where this building is, there's quite a bit of available room to increase the foot print which is modestly expensive, not crazy expensive. So, in short, this building is tall just to be tall, not because it made economic sense to go tall. And, things that don't make economic sense usually produce some strange outcomes in my experience......

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
babel.

Impressive. I suppose the skill will be trying not to fly into it...

I also think it's the world's largest middle finger and they probably hoped y'all could see it from washington.... :)

i wouldn't even stay on the ground floor.....:worried:

spot on!!!!

Anybody been in Dubai recently? Recommend a hotel that doesn't cost > $1000/night? Any "must see" sights besides the Burj?...speaking of which, for those of us on the N. side of the world, what the hell does "onya Kief" mean? :eek:)

Keith

Anybody been in Dubai recently? Recommend a hotel that doesn't cost > $1000/night? Any "must see" sights besides the Burj?...speaking of which, for those of us on the N. side of the world, what the hell does "onya Kief" mean? :eek:)

No

erm, No

None

AS in "Good"

:)

Back