Speeding Fine - seems a tad harsh....

The idiot was doing 85mph in a village. And not his first time either! Should have done time as well.

If a junkie breaks into my house I'll be pissed but I can recover from that. If this idiot hits me or you our life would be ruined.

Speed has its place but it's not where people are at great risk.

Danny I think you need to read this a little closer and assume the media is trying to "make " this sound worse than it is. The man according to the report was in a 50 mph zone. There are no speeds this high going by schoolyards and sidewalk cafes. Admittedly he deserves the citation but the fine is absurd.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
All in accordance with the "2009 Redistribution of Wealth" movement.

Other medias mentioned that the fine was determined based on the perp's wealth :thumbsdown: .

Doug

I kind of agree with the coart actually.
What is the point of fining a multi millionaire a minimal or normal fine for speeding. There is no dissincentive there at all. He could pay those every day of his life and not feel it at all. It has to hurt a little or he'll simply keep doing it.
Martin

As I said - "a tad harsh' - I'm not in favour of idiots that speed in inappropriate places, minor roads, side roads, schools etc etc but who has NEVER speeded on here?

Hell I got knicked last March in my van for 40 in a 30 limit (just out of a derestricted section) after joining from a side road where the speed limit had recently changed. Seing no sign I went by my TomTom unit and have now learnt not to believe it - my mistake, so be it! 3 points and £60 and the first for past 25+yrs...

If you choose to speed, you run the risk - I just think £180K is plain stupid though...

I kind of agree with the coart actually.
What is the point of fining a multi millionaire a minimal or normal fine for speeding. There is no dissincentive there at all. He could pay those every day of his life and not feel it at all. It has to hurt a little or he'll simply keep doing it.
Martin

Then ban him - over here at 12points, (max 4 offences) you get a 12mth holiday from driving and in some circumstances could be banned from day dot. Just seems daft to me.

Also - the 'Press' are a rule unto themselves on how they present the facts - 'Repeat Offender' might mean he has been clocked speeding just once before. I'm not defending, just pointing fact.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
IMO, the size of the fine is related to the economy. The number of tickets and the fines related thereto, have gone off the chart here in Colorado. Colorado's economy, just like many economies, has suffered. Even though I have no proof, the harshness of the fine seems to indicate someone is looking for a way to cure their budget deficit.

My two cents-

At 35mph over the speed limit, you are not going to get away with a slap on the wrist, whatever country you're in. A ban may well be appropriate, but that often comes with a fine too.
I agree that the fine seems to be an opportunist money making exercise on a rich guys bank account if this is indeed an isolated case. If there is a policy of matching fines to wealth in Switzerland then he probably knew the risks. If not, and this sets a precidence for courts to follow in the future, this guy is very unlucky.
Martin

Danny I think you need to read this a little closer and assume the media is trying to "make " this sound worse than it is. The man according to the report was in a 50 mph zone. There are no speeds this high going by schoolyards and sidewalk cafes. Admittedly he deserves the citation but the fine is absurd.

No I did read it as 50mph. Don't know about your area but here built up zones with that limit (80kph) can have intersections, traffic lights, safety islands, pedestrians, moderate to heavy traffic etc.

If that was a father, mother and three children in the family estate, or two bikers/ricers racing or a tradie in his work van sentiments would be high for tough action.

85mph is well on the way to double the limit. In optimum conditions he needs about 150 metres to stop. That's about one and a half soccer fields. That's optimum, but if he's spooked and loses it with a slide or so there's 1 tonne of momentum heading who knows where. I've seen too many forensic reports of inappropriate speed where innocent people have lost their lives or been seriously injured.

Speed can be great fun BUT pick your places. St Gallen town zone st gallen switzerland - Google Maps
isn't one of them.

As for the fine, no problem with that. More and more jurisdictions around the world are tailoring fines to suit the individual's means. Fines as a deterrent need to hit the pocket.

Doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. If you accept the notion that fines are designed to incentivize a behavioral change, then, likely it takes a fine of this size to deter the particular (repeat offender) driver.

It's doesn't matter what the speed limit is, going 85mph through a village is a serious matter (unless you're in the mille miglia in 1958) and threatens life/limb. If you've driven a lot in Europe then you know that the speed limits tend to be quite high through the villages, unlike here in the US where we have a lot of 25mph zones in congested areas. European drivers tend to drive below the speed limit if conditions warrant it, whereas here we all do the speed limit or more most of the time.

If you want to go really fast, do it on a track where everyone knows and understands and accepts the risks. If you're being really stupid then chances are still pretty good that might kill someone other than yourself unfortunately.....

Gent's,

Here in Ontario 50 klic's over he would have been charged with racing, 6 demerit points and impounding of the vehicle. Your insurance ratea also go up.
Dave

All this time I thought that the local governing bodies made the speed limits and the fines that go with them. How are the fines imposed? I don't know how you guys do it there. To me it sounds like the judge has the authority to levy whatever fine he wants. Since a fine is a tax, I guess he can do it. If that is the way it is, I would expect someone on welfare to be fined $1.95.
Here in Ga. they just enacted the "Super Speeder Law". Over 85 on a divided highway or over 75 on a 2-lane road and it is an automatic $200 fine which is going to the trauma networks. I am sure there are points which will affect your policy premium.

Bill

Back