Torque Wrench needed

Hi all

Can anyone recommend a nice torque wrench that would be suitable for my Tornado TS40 build? I am stocking up with some more tools at the moment and want to buy a good quality torque wrench. I know you can spend hundreds on these things but ideally I don't want to spend too much

Any suggestions?

Trev

www.gt40builder.com

Malcolm

Supporter
I recently got a Halfords Expert for about £60 in 3/8 drive, the most common sized socket I use on my cars. It seems to cover most situations for me.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Unless you are going to become a permanent mechanic would it not be more suitable to purchase a more reasonable one.

It should survive at least one car build and if you remember to release the pressure on the spring after use shoudl be reasonably accurate for a long time

Try
Clarke ½" Drive Torque Wrench - CHT141 - Machine Mart

or others from e bay

If you are that worried get a cheaper one and link it toa "borrowed" good one to check how far out the readings are

Ian

Unless you are going to become a permanent mechanic would it not be more suitable to purchase a more reasonable one.

It should survive at least one car build and if you remember to release the pressure on the spring after use shoudl be reasonably accurate for a long time

Try
Clarke ½" Drive Torque Wrench - CHT141 - Machine Mart

or others from e bay

If you are that worried get a cheaper one and link it toa "borrowed" good one to check how far out the readings are

Ian

Valid point Ian. I don't think £50-60 is that bad though for something Ill use regularly and also the halfords one is supposed to be very easy to setup etc. Those few minutes spent here and there messing around configuring tools will soon add up.

Trev

Malcolm

Supporter
I would be cynical perhaps to think that on really cheap versions the torque setting spring might be made of chocolate? Works a few times then looses calibration. I still have tools I bought to build my first kit car (Dax Cobra in 1984) so buying something for a few extra pounds now should make it last a lifetime if cared for. And it is less likely to break on you in use so saving your knuckles from punching something you didn't want to! As has oft been quoted to me on this forum before, you pays your money and takes your choice!

Right, looking at the build manual the torque settings chart states the lowest setting used in the build as 20ft/ibs and the highest as 200ft/ibs.

Looking through a load of torque wrenchs I can't seem to find any that offer that kind of range. I might have to buy 2 of the halfords wrenchs to meet all required torque settings.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Trev

Back