A lousy day @ IAD

Got these photos e-mailed to me today. They are from the recent snow in Washington D.C.

Probably 100 million in damaged Gulfstreams and Global Express's.

I hope the F.B.O. paid their insurance bill.

Attachments

• 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg.jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 361
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(1).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(1).jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 366
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(2).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(2).jpg
    18 KB · Views: 352
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(4).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(4).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 365
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(5).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(5).jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 341
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(6).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(6).jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 357
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(7).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(7).jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 333
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(8).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(8).jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 381
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(9).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(9).jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 343
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(11).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(11).jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 375
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(12).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(12).jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 361
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(13).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(13).jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 353
  • 2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(10).jpg
    2_6_BLZRD2010.jpg_(10).jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 371
Might have to upgrade the 'snow loading' specs in the local building code by the look of it, good news everyones insurance premiums will go up due to this:)....user pays and all that stuff...

Ah, such a shame, all those bailed out Wall Street execs and Bank CEOs, along with their DC lobbyists, will have to fly regular business class now.....must be tough....

(please excuse my cynicism)

It's that damn global warming! Gore must be pulling his hair out!

Al, sorry don't understand. This surely is a byproduct of global warming? The shifting in temperatures doesn't have to be up, more severe weather in all it's forms is making itself felt worldwide.
Simon

Ah, such a shame, all those bailed out Wall Street execs and Bank CEOs, along with their DC lobbyists, will have to fly regular business class now.....must be tough....

(please excuse my cynicism)

Not sure if any were owned by Banks.

The blue Global was Kodak's.

I'm sure if I sniff around I can find out who owned/leased what though.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Less money on super floor paint and more on a decent building /hangar next time.
The aeroplanes dont really mind unpainted concrete floors so long as it's not dusty.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Well, not to burst your bubble or anything, but snow damage isn't necessarily covered by insurance. Ice is, but not snow weight if memory serves. I just got my Insurance Adjuster License and had to go through a 40 hr class for the certification. Snow isn't covered under most standard insurance policies. Ice is covered in case a pipe bursts due to freezing, but that's really about it. Same for excessive rain and flooding. You need a separate policy to cover that stuff. This being said, the license I have is for Texas, other states may have different standard policy requirements in place that may cover snow accumulation damage, but from what I know, it's not covered.

Al, sorry don't understand. This surely is a byproduct of global warming? The shifting in temperatures doesn't have to be up, more severe weather in all it's forms is making itself felt worldwide.
Simon[/QUOTE
Like the earthquake in Haiti as so noted by the wellknown braintrust Danny Glover.

Brian Hamilton

Let me revist my previous statement about snow not being covered... The weight damage from snow accumulation IS covered. LOL Did a little digging back in my books. :thumbsup: Anyway, it IS covered, so you're all right.

Carry on...

Man, tough luck. Thanks for sharing. Better those planes, than say a bunch of beauties over at the National Air and Space Museum Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center

One of the Air and Space Museum storage facilities collapsed because of the snow.

Federal News Radio 1500 AM: Snow collapses Smithsonian storage warehouse

The heavy snow fall that has closed much of the Washington area on Wednesday collapsed the roof and a wall at a Smithsonian storage facility in Suitland, Maryland.

[...]

Linda St. Thomas, a spokeswoman for the Smithsonian, says that no items of value were damaged. A sealed steel shipping contaniner inside the warehouse successfully protected items from the Air and Space Museum's portrait and fine art collection.

Let me revist my previous statement about snow not being covered... The weight damage from snow accumulation IS covered. LOL Did a little digging back in my books. :thumbsup: Anyway, it IS covered, so you're all right.

Carry on...

Although, that doesn't mean that the underwriter might not initially try to deny the claim as not a "covered event"....leaving the insured to go hire an attorney and insurance consultant to go read the fine print and suggest otherwise in a Demand Letter.... Ah, the games insurance underwriters play!

Brian Hamilton

Although, that doesn't mean that the underwriter might not initially try to deny the claim as not a "covered event"....leaving the insured to go hire an attorney and insurance consultant to go read the fine print and suggest otherwise in a Demand Letter.... Ah, the games insurance underwriters play!

This is true. I was out with my friend a few years back and we were adjusting on houses in MN who were hit by hail and wind damage. We just wrote the estimates, entered them in the computer, and cut the checks on the spot. Pretty quick and easy.

On a personal note...
God, I can't find a damn job in this industry to save my life though!!!!! GGGGRRRRRR!!!!!! I swear I've put out 25 resumes at least. I know 15 this week alone. So, more like 35-40. Jeez!

Venting. Sorry.

Laters,

Brian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
ya know - it's funny I've not seen this on the TV news yet...

I did a project once at a 230,000 squre foot building in the Boston area. The facilities guys told me what a lousy job the original owner/builder had done, such that they had hired their own structural engineer to come in and evaluate the roof relative to snow loads. He showed me the end result of the structural engineer's work. It was a plumb bob that was suspended from a beam next to which was a color-coded placard that was mounted to the floor. As the snow loads would accumulate, the beam would bend, and the plumb bob would move from the green to the yellow to the red portion of the placard, where the word "EVACUATE " was written in large, bold letters. Brilliant!

Back