Got Burgled Yesterday...

I'm not the first person to be burgled, and I know I wont be the last.

Yesterday, two stupid tw*ts thought it would be a good idea to break into our home through a £6,000 set of Oak folding/sliding doors (which they have knackered), to then trample crap through the house (after ruining both the front and back doors in vain), to then pinch a Sony Playstation, a small camera and around £500 in currency.

We have been lucky. They were too stupid to steal my collection of guitars, my wifes Jewellery or anything of any great value. More than that, I had an expensive camera lying about, which they didn't bother with either. It seems they can't be sold quickly enough to get a few quid up together...

What galls me is not the material things. I am away for two weeks from the middle of next week. How is my wife going to feel on her own at night...The little Sh*ts.

A prison sentence is no longer mandatory for breaking and entering, so even if they get caught, they will be straight out on the streets again.

The Silver Clould in all of this? The Police turned up on time, and a CSI officer came around and took footprints and fingerprints and he was very thorough. They may not be caught, but it is refreshing to know that the police didn't just issue a crime reference number and sit on their collective rear ends.

They have done around £7,000 of damage to steal around £1,000 of goods and cash. How much I pity them for not having 3 brain cells to rub together collectively. How pathetic!

Cheers,

Graham.

Graham,
Sorry to hear that. I hope your insurance will cover the losses. Another good argument for home defense methods..I assume no one was at home at the time of the incident.

Graham,
Sorry to hear that. I hope your insurance will cover the losses. Another good argument for home defense methods..I assume no one was at home at the time of the incident.

Jack,

Home defence over here is "if you say BOO to the perpetrator and he starts crying, then you, the homeowner is going to jail" unfortunately...

I like the U.S way of things - If you enter my home in an attempt to do harm to my property, I will shoot your sorry ass.

No-one was at home, thank goodness. If it had happenned in a weeks time whilst I was away, I would have been gutted!

Thanks Jack,

Graham.

Graham,

To commemorate experiences, I was car jacked the friday before the invasion of Iraq in 2003. Two dumb wits jumped into my car at a roundabout in a nice area, threatened me with a knife and hammer. They only took the car and my wallet with my credit cards.

Anyway, two weeks later they were picked up driving the Volvo with a false number plate and then I identified one on the video line up.

The lessor of the two had two years in jail, and the bigger of the two spent 3 years in prison.

Like you, I was concerned about being at home alone (I live alone) and thought about doing one of those traditional american moves of self defence which ultimately I did not do.

I think they will find the bums.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
There does seem to be a move towards justified force aimed towards intruders and the recent publicity in High Wycombe here in the UK where the person used something akin to a baseball bat to actually 'brain damage' a perpetrator of a crime against him has been released from Jail after only a couple of weeks. I think the feeling was that the brain damage so caused was justified. But it is a fine line as to how much force can be used. I have yet to be tested here in the UK but in Milan
my brother had cause to apprehend a milanese Gypsy who was stealing one of our generators. Needless to say he, the gypsy, ended up in hospital for a considerable time with both wrists not functioning. Italian Police were not interested.

Keith

Yes what was really interesting about the case you refer to David, was that they had already chased the perps into thje street, ran after them and then gave them a beating. That would not have even stood up in the US correct me if I'm wrong US guys, so it would appear to be more of a milestone for the UK than meets the eye.

The perp and the "victim" were both of the Indian Continent possibly of Pakistan background and they do not take highly to people invading their space.

Not Pakistan but Delhi - I was completing a project at the Hilton (or was in Continental? don't recall) and had just arrived from another city via train. At the train station, a great cry went up of "thief, thief" and (it seemed like) about a hundred people chasing after what I found out later, was a pickpocket. There on the station concourse, the crowd kicked him to death. The authorities eventually turned up and just dragged the body away. That was it....

A mere 30 years ago....

I think you would have legal problems here in the US if you chased the perps out into the street, ran them down, and gave them a beating. It's one thing if the perps are in your house and coming towards you and you fear for your life. I'm not entirely sure, but even in the states that have Castle laws, if the perps are exiting the house and not being aggressive, you better not shoot them in the back....

Keith

Exactly, but that's what happened and they got an aquital...

Bit of a surprise from the Marshmallow Country eh?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
That just plain SUX....

I have a couple of small dogs - not that they would ever do anyone any harm, but they do make a lot of racket when they hear noises.. Also - when we leave, I leave a radio tuned to a Talk Radio station on with a medium-loud volume.. There have been signs that someone has tampered with my doors, but no break-ins (luckily) ... I don't know if it's the dogs, radio or whatever that scared them off - but my property has not been violated since I started this practice..

Also -

You may want to invest in an Alarm system - or cheaper still - just the signage to be placed in obvious places...

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I think you would have legal problems here in the US if you chased the perps out into the street, ran them down, and gave them a beating. It's one thing if the perps are in your house and coming towards you and you fear for your life. I'm not entirely sure, but even in the states that have Castle laws, if the perps are exiting the house and not being aggressive, you better not shoot them in the back....

Not if you live here in Texas, Rick! Here's the story of Joe Horn--he actually killed two burglars with shotgun blasts to the back as they were running away from the house and was on the phone with the police dispatcher at the time:

Man Kills Suspects While On Phone With 911 - CBS News

The grand jury no-billed Joe Horn.

When the backgrounds of the two (dead) perps were investigated, it was found that they were from Columbia, had numerous criminal convictions here in the U.S., had been deported to their native country and had made their way back into the U.S. via Mexico (a border where our government apparently believes "lip service" is all the security they are compelled to provide), ostensibly to continue their career of preying on law abiding citizens.

Many citizens believed Joe Horn was the criminal, the rest of us want to buy him a beer :thumbsup: ! You can tell which side I'm on.......:laugh:

Joe Horn now says he regrets his actions.

My sympathies to you, Graham....I've been burglarized before and I know that they steal more than property when they do that, they steal your sense of security and there's no way to place a value on that!!!

Doug

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Graham,
Really sorry that you have been visited by these scum. It really makes your blood boil. At least the police showed up and looked interested. Hope your wife is not too badly affected by the experience. Very often these days they break in to steal the car keys. Where's my baseball bat?
Cheers
Mike

Graham,
Get a BIG dog! Even if the dog is friendly type like a labrador retriever, they have a big bark. It has been my experience that most perps won't invade with a big dog barking its head off in fear of getting bit. They make great companions as well and mine can hear a pin drop outside even when my bad ears cannot. My wife never feels unsafe with Gracie in the house...that and a 12gage Enforcer nearby.
Garry

I've been hit a lot. Even had a boat on a trailer stolen in the middle of the day, which someone in the neighborhood told me where I could find it stripped towards evening. I've also bought back some stuff from the drug dealers it usually ends up with.

Since installing monitored alarms there have been no more break-ins for a few years now. I also installed interior keyed dead-bolts we use only when we are not home and reinforced the jams. Intruder will have to bust out or go out the window again.

I don't know how insurance works in the UK, but mine was cancelled after the second claim. They agreed to reinstate my insurance after the alarms and other upgrades to the house. If you can absorb the losses it might be better to use it for something larger. If you have a good agent he can advise you.

At least put up alarm signs if you don't have any. Also if your car has an alarm, your wife can use the panic button on the fob to set it off if she's home and she hears someone trying to break in.

Thanks so much to all of you for your kind words. In a screwed up world
its always nice to have some support from your peers, no matter
how near or far.

Time to sort an alarm, and maybe a big dog too :)

oh well, there goes my paint job for a while!

Cheers,

Graham.

Graham very sorry to hear about this. I've been in the same situation (twice) while I lived in London. It's an awful feeling. Hope you and your wife didnt lose anything of sentimental value because no insurance can cover that. I just second the advice already given - very visible alarms, good bolts and locks and a dog with a loud bark.

And a baseball bat, big stick, BIG hammer, etc. I prefer a 12 gauge shotgun but you are not allowed to do that.

Sorry to hear of the misfortune, Graham. I can indentify with the feelings you've expressed. I was mugged at gunpoint,about 8 years ago. A crack addict came out of nowhere and hit me square in the jaw with the pistol, momentarily stunning me. He then held the gun against my forehead while going through my wallet. Apparently he was only interested in cash as he didn't care about my credit cards,phone or watch, shaking as he probed for additional money. Obviously, I'm still here and squeaked by with only a jaw injury and a few dollars lighter. I've also had the house broken into, walking in on the intruder. He escaped through a window leaving with a coin collection and some cash. It is not a feeling I want to experience again, much different than facing an adversary in wartime combat but un-nerving just the same. You feel violated and helpless as well as angry. Hope they catch the bastard.
In the U.S.,you can't just shoot these jerks or you end up in jail too, you have to be confronted and firmly believe your well-being is in danger. But....I'd rather be the one still standing and giving the explanation than the alternative. The best defense is to make it difficult and time consuming for the prospective thief. A vocal dog or two is the best deterrent,you can't bullshit a defensive canine(thief loses the element of surprise),plus good multiple locks,security lights and a clear area which doesn't give the criminal any cover to work from. In some areas here, an American flag flying in the yard also gives the perpetrator a good idea of what's waiting for him inside. If you're home at the time, they all know the sound of a 12 gauge chambering a round and will leave quickly.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about that Graham. Seems to be a fact of modern life unfortunately.

When I'm gone, my wife (retired Captain in the US Army) keeps her 12 inch bowie knife at the ready on the night stand. That seems to calm her. We've hesitated getting a gun as we have small children but we'll probably get one and use a finger print gun lock.

I pity the guy that tries to break in when I'm gone - first she'll shoot him (she's an excellent shot) and then she'll stab him a few times for good measure. Then she'll make him listen to the screaming kids for the next half hour while the police get there......

Back