How to influence Politicians?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Last night Di and I were discussing the flood of illegal immigrants invading Australia and the apparent lack of will by the Government to do anything about it. (There are a lot of things our Government does not do, this was just one we were discussing).

The question is, what in your opinion it the best way for the individual to influence their local Polly and get their viewpoint across? We send emails and letters that get ignored, or replied too with the usual "spin doctor" meaningless mumbo jumbo.
We would be interested in your feed back, any ideas?

Pete,
Can you and a group of citizens sue the Government? I was thinking that most of the Pols are lawyers and lawsuits get their attention. If that fails try a Tea-Party.
Garry

Don't know Pete, I doubt even going so far as to flying a plane into a building will do anything. It's been done... no really.

Pete, I think the only way to do it is to run for office yourself. You know what they say - "If you want something done right, do it yourself."

Other than that, keep it lubed my friend!

Pete,
If you take time to study the tea party actions, you would see that when the government does something that a lot of the electorate feels is unjust, imoral and/or illegal, they will let out a scream that will be heard. Then and only then, can the people tell the politicians what THEY want and how THEY want him or her to vote. The American population(and most other countrys as well), is a silent force that the politicians haven't riled very often. When only a small segment of the population is affected, we too just shrug our shoulders. Our history is full of those local and regional politicans. They nibble away with small changes that most say "Oh Well" and go about their business. it is this creeping injustice that isn't quite enough to upset the entire population.
This time though, it started with one president who doubled the national debt in four years(a big deal). This stirred the population because they realized it would affect their pocketbooks. A war that seemed to not have a cause(a big deal). Most rememberd Vietnam and the taste it left in the electorate, coupled with a few key cororations going bankrupt, people loosing their life savings, stired them even more.
This was to be followed by a slick politican that everyone knew was radical left but talked a good game. Young and articulate, he promised change, but wouldn't elaborate. They used focus groups to get the key words that made people feel good about what they were talking about. Then they promised all these good things, but renigged on most if not all. There was a disconnect in what they said, and what they did. Most families understand a budget. With the quadrupling of the debt in one year and 50 or so new government agencies yet to be put to work, along with the recession, massive spending programs that producded little if anything, the population relized that this was not what the mainstream Americans wanted. People that were never active in politics before, for the first time, began to stand up and shout. The organisers remembered the first organised revolt in our country was over the taxation(of tea) without any representation. They felt that they were overtaxed as it is and the prospect of new taxes(you got to pay for these programs somehow), that they wer not being represented the way they wanted. This was from people in both parties. They coalested iinto groups around the country, into the tea party movement. There are key people within the movement that have been active in politics in one way or another. They were the driving forces. The people have made it cleaar to the politicans that they want this nonsense and not listening to the people to stop. A few key elections sent the message. The ones that are not listening such as Senator Bayh, Harry Reed and many others have terrible polling numbers. A good number are resigning and not running for reelection rather than being beaten in the election.
Yes you can make a difference, you just have to hope the rest of the population is as pissed as you are and are ready to make themselves heard. But they gotta speak up and do more than just vote. Remember the town Hall meetings last summer??

Bill

Pete, mate i'm no defeatest and have to agree with you whole heartedly, but as for dealing with the problem , Mmm look what they did to Pauline, and that was just the press, what her colleagues did was much worse.
if i looked hard, i could only ever find one fault with this great country, and that is on the whole its people are far to apathetic, and thats why the pollies get away with what they do.
cheers John

Many years ago the Australian government signed and parliament ratified the International Convention on Civil and Political Rights.

This convention came about as a result of the persecution of the Jews & other minority groups in WW2.

Quite a few countries signed up and now they find that by the actions of their predecessors long ago, they are obliged to consider and accept those who meet the definitions contained within the convention. No option.

No country that has signed up to this convention has ever rescinded it's ratification, indeed the international view is such that any country that even attempted to do so would be ostracised so quickly and effectively that it would cease to be recognised etc.

That's the reality of the left wing grip on international politics.

Interestingly, a number of countries have chosen not to sign the convention and have instituted their own humanitarian approach, almost all of which has it's basis in the convention, but with a particular slant that suits their own domestic needs and wishes.

An example; The USA.

That's working just fine isn't it....

Last edited:
Pete, here's one suggestion...

Simply, talk about it.

Talk about it with your neighbors, friends, business colleagues, etc. Talk about it openly and publicly, using simple language and words. Use communication tools like the internet to efficiently spread the written word.

Efficient mobilization of the public is the first step, and that's done through efficient and clear discussion. In the old days it was the town hall meeting. Now, we're all stuck behind computer terminals and there's no such thing as the town meeting anymore, however, that computer terminal can serve as proxy for the town meeting on a much grander scale.

That, and vote out the incumbent come election time!

Pete:
Bill alluded to the solution in his post. Simply put hit them in the area they feel most uncomfortable and that is that they are in danger of getting booted out. When we fear them that is tyranny, when they fear us it is liberty. From your many previous posts I know you are well informed and as they say knowledge is power.
Hold their feet to the fire as you would an employee as they work for you, and all is fair within reason when it comes to getting these characters to listen.
I go to a lot of meetings in my small town and at the county level, and more, and I have no problem voicing my discontent. It does take time and can be frustrating but generally when one speaks up there are others that may be reluctant but just need a nudge to get involved. This is how the Tea Party movement got started here and they are afraid now of the influence we have and the consequences.
Take a look at recent elections here in Virginia, New Jersey, and Massachusetts that were left wing (democrat) strongholds and you will see the results.
I admit I don't know much about Aussie politics, but politicians are the same all over and they need to know that they work for us.
Thanks for posting this topic.
cheers
Phil

How about this for a novel idea. Approach the tv stations with a proposal for a new tv show. Have the staff meet with the people around the country that feel change is needed and give them a forum to plead their case. Now heres the good part, let a vote take place on the subjects discussed and the aye or nay would be displayed for all to see. The government would take notice of something like this . You could add in a call in debate time and respond to e mails on the air. Kind of like despain on wind tunnel. If this becomes a viable tv show I would expect to be compensated for the idea. THIS I AM NOT KIDDING ABOUT.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks for all the replies, it seems there are many World wide that share my frustration.
Molleur, public hangings may be a bit radical but the odd public flogging or two would not go astray.
Egoman, there have been a couple of shows on Australian television along the lines you suggest, but the audiences have been by invitation only and generally stacked to reflect the thinking of the producer/director running it.
Cliff, we do talk about it via email and as we are doing right here. But as I said in my first post, emails, letters, and such to local and Federal politicians are either ignored or replied to by the "Spin Doctor".

Aero, I have no desire to become a Politician myself as generally I think they are two faced conniving bastards!

Bill, I agree with most of what you say and as always you make sense.
Our Prime minister has taken this country from a healthy $90 Billion surplus courtesy of the previous Government to a huge $180 billion debt within a couple of years in Office and the silent majority seem to be just copping it, when they should be up in arms about it.

John I agree, sadly apathy is alive and well

Last edited:
:greedy:<------Pete, the "pollies" ears will open up with a little(ahem) of the cash donations(ahem)........as Pat said earlier. Question is, do you and friends have enough?

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Something I have never quite understood with the political process is that you can make "contributions" to a politician's "reelection" campaign in order to influence his vote. People do it all the time, and think nothing of it.

But in the business world, if you give someone money to influence his decision it's called a bribe, and it'll land you in prison (unless your pockets are deep enough to bribe your way out.)

So why is it OK to "bribe" a politician, but not a businessman?

If the "under the table" incentives to sell power & influence, and become rich in the process, were removed, we'd have a far better quality of politician representing us, and perhaps their attentions would return to representing the people (which is what they're elected to do), rather than lining their pockets.

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
A few years ago I got decided to run for local office (long story). In the end... I won. I've Councilman ever since. Lots of work but it is worth every bit of time and effort. (If you're interested in doing it for the money... get a pizza delivery route and you'll make more money!)

Want to make a difference locally, run for office.

Want to make a difference in your territory, state, or region; run for office or get directly involved with someone you believe in. It doesn't have to be money, participation takes many forms.

Back