Cowboy Ethics...a TRUE conservative policy

I thought I would share this opinion piece with some of the fine folks here on the GT40s board...

By Patrick Dorinson - Political Commentator

When it comes to analyzing America's current economic woes and how we got here, I have heard just about all the whining, navel-gazing, excuses, television talk show psychobabble, hand wringing and pundit puffery I can stomach. This is not just about lost home value or diminished 401(K)s.
In all my born days I have never witnessed a spectacle quite as ridiculous as this. America is on the psychiatrist's couch looking for a cure to a self-inflicted problem.

All the so-called experts who are spouting all this nonsense are looking at Bernie Madoff's Ponzi scheme or A-rod's "everybody was doing it" steroid defense, or Senator Chris Dodd's laughable claim that he had no idea he was getting special treatment on his multiple mortgages and trying to divine what it all means.

Hell I'll tell you what it all means. It means that all three and many more out there that don't make headlines have no moral compass and that lying, stealing and cheating are OK as long as, one you don't get caught and two, you can go on television and sheepishly apologize.

The real societal disease that has crippled us for decades -- and will continue to as long as we excuse bad behavior and allow half-hearted apologies to explain it away --0 is the utter collapse of values and ethics in America.

And until we address this problem all the bailouts and stimulus packages won't amount to a hill of beans and in a few years we will be right back in the same spot.

The cure for this disease is not more group therapy. It is as simple and as old as America itself and it still lives in the hearts and minds of the most iconic figure in our history-the American cowboy.

For all you tenderfoots and high buttoned shoe Easterners let me try to explain.

Unlike politicians and our current crop of business "leaders", a cowboy still makes a deal with a handshake and his word is his bond. A cowboy does not make rash decisions because the wrong decision can be the difference between life and death for him, his horse and those he works with.
And a cowboy lives by a code-a set of unwritten principles that no one has to teach him because it is instilled in him at birth. Cowboys don't whine and stomp their feet like spoiled children as some people seem to do when the going gets tough.

A few years ago I found a book that changed my life. It reminded me that even if I lost everything I had worked for I would still have my code to lean on and start all over again. I remember learning these principles from my late mother who spent a good portion of her childhood living and working with cowboys on a ranch in Colorado. The words might have been different, but she and my Dad hard wired these life lessons into me and my three brothers and sister.

Cowboy Ethics: What Wall Street can Learn from the Code of the West was written by James Owen, an investment consultant who after ENRON and the other Wall Street scandals of a few years ago, decided it was time to take a good look at what we had become. Like myself, he is not a genuine cowboy but we both have a great deal of respect and admiration for the cowboy and the cowboy way of life.

After talking with real cowboys and researching the cowboy way, he came up with his Code of the West which states some simple principles that all of us should try to live by.

• Live each day with courage
  • Take pride in your work
  • Always finish what you start
  • Do what has to be done
  • Be tough, but fair
  • When you make a promise, keep it
  • Ride for the brand
  • Talk less and say more
  • Remember that some things aren't for sale
  • Know where to draw the line
Recently he published the second volume called Cowboy Values: Recapturing What America Has Lost which talks about the basic values that used to be second nature to most Americans, but somehow got lost in a celebrity obsessed culture that glorifies materialism and instant gratification and where winning at all costs has replaced the credo of the race well run. Here is Jim's list of core values.
  • Courage
  • Optimism
  • Self-Reliance
  • Authenticity
  • Honor
  • Duty
  • Heart
Somewhere along the line we forgot these basic ethics and values and replaced them with a self-centered "grab all you can and forget the consequences" attitude. Many of our political and business leaders need a crash course in the principles and ideals of these two books and none too soon.

We have politicians who cheat on their wives. If a man will break his vows to his wife what do you think he will do to you? We have politicians who walk away from their financial obligations and receive special treatment unavailable to you and me. If they can't handle their own money what do you think they will do with yours? We have politicians who preach ethics and values only to fall from grace themselves for not practicing them. We have business leaders who have been convicted of using the stockholder's money as a personal piggy bank then say with a straight face they were business expenses.

And we ourselves are just as guilty when we buy things we can't afford and then when we can't pay look for help from those who didn't.

My whole point is that with all the advances we have made of as a society, we seem to have left behind those things that we should treasure most-the basic truths that right is right and wrong is wrong. That there is no free ride and either we pull together or we will pull ourselves apart. That we all need to face up to our problems because if we face up to them and meet them head-on, they won't seem half as bad than if we ignore them.

You'll never see a cowboy on a psychiatrist's couch.

This stuff isn't born in you, you learn it from your parents and community. It is those that bear the responsibility. A couple of lax generations it seems - shirking their duties.

You'll never see a cowboy on a psychiatrist's couch.

Unless you are a psychiatrist - Dr/Patient secrecy and all that.

Cowboys, like any cross section of humanity, have their issues like anyone else. They all don't live idealised lives (do they?). If they do, then I want a pony. Er, I mean, can I have a pony please?

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Spyder if you really want a pony, work hard save your dollars and I'll sell you a good used one!

WYLD
A great article thanks for posting. Australia as well as America needs to
Cowboy up.

That is true, you learn ALL behaviors from the society around you. Do you approve of the current degradation in manners and behavior?

There is nothing wrong with a good, STRONG moral code, which is all this was presented as. Better yet, if you can't handle this stuff, how can I trust you as a neighbor, community leader or employee?

Yes, we all get that humans have their foibles. Not all cowboys are the rodeo guys you see on ESPN at 3 am. There are ALOT of genuine ranch-hands who still live this life. I grew up in a community full of them.

The difference is, we genuinely try to work through our own stuff, not indulge in self-loathing and apathy.

This stuff isn't born in you, you learn it from your parents and community. It is those that bear the responsibility. A couple of lax generations it seems - shirking their duties.

Unless you are a psychiatrist - Dr/Patient secrecy and all that.

Cowboys, like any cross section of humanity, have their issues like anyone else. They all don't live idealised lives (do they?). If they do, then I want a pony. Er, I mean, can I have a pony please?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

Mike, this is an issue I "preach" constantly......our kids are not responsible, we parents did this to them (sarcasm is only one of the many fine services I offer). There is an element of truth to that, though.....when I grew up we had no cable TV, no internet, no cordless telephones or cell phones, no VCR's/DVR's, no microwaves, no fast food restaurants to speak of. When we saw the rapid expansion of technology, I for one know that I and all of my friends wanted to make our childrens' lives better than those we have had, so we went to great lengths to make sure that our children had all of those advantages we never had.

Now I know of 10 year old children who "cannot survive" without their own I-Phones with unlimited talk/text/internet.

So, did our generation do the wrong thing? Not totally, we just failed to let our children know how hard life can be b/c we tried to make it easy on them......and now our kids think they ought to be earning the big $$ right out of college, b/c they never knew a life in which it didn't seem as if we were earning the big bucks. Our kids can't wait for dinner to be reheated in a regular over (heaven forbid the microwave is unusable for some reason), or cooked for that manner, they run out to the fast-food establishements if the process will take longer than 5 minutes....our kids can't wait to get home to use the land-line phone, they have to have their own cell phones so they won't have to wait......our kids can't imagine having only one or two TV stations to watch, they have to have one or two hundred.......in essence, I feel we failed in our responsibility to teach our children's generation to persevere in the face of adversity and the big, bad wolves in the financial industry recognized that and have convinced that generation that they don't have to suffer the indignities of waiting until they can afford to pay cash, just take our credit card and charge it and they can have it now.

OK, so I have no sympathy for the financial industry and the way they have taken advantage of our society in general and our younger generations in particular, but we have only ourselves to blame when the big, bad wolves recognized a business opportunity and jumped all over it.

Now we're in deep shite, so to speak, as a society. WYLD is right in this issue, a greater adherance to cowboy ethics might well have helped us stave this disaster off, but IMHO the technological revolution was every bit as imminently disastrous as was the industrial revolution and both were such a powerful force that they couldn't be stopped by a few cowboys.

Now we've got ourselves a big hole to dig ourselves out of.......but, wait, we don't have to do anything about it right now, we can leave it to our kids to take care of, I mean after all they are the ones who got us into this mess, they can fix it, right :idea: ?

Riiiiiiight...........:thumbsdown:

One very sadly disappointed.....

Doug

Last edited:
Doug...

All I can say is wow...and thank you for not only seeing, but admitting many of the things I talk about constantly.

The last 3 generations have not had to learn how to persevere through adversity.

God forbid if there were some truly large paradigm shifts...ones so catastrophic that the last 50 years of technological innovation would seem like a brief dream.

Peak oil, global disasters, pandemics, recessions, massive solar flares...there are so many things which are not only possible, but also extremely likely to happen...that would completely alter our "normal" course of life as we currently know it.

Even in times of plenty, you shouldn't throw caution to the wind.

But what do I know? To many on this sight and the rest of the world, I am but a "kid".

What I find interesting, sadly, is the utter disdain people have for failure. It's almost to such an extreme that people will not try things knowing they might possibly fail. They won't go into somthing without some guarantee that they will be successful. Is this a result of the parents providing too much structure and programming? You know everyone in the group participated so you all get a ribbon, everyone is a winner, there are no losers here.

I hope I am wrong here. But I will never know for sure. My wife and I agreed on one thing at the onset - no kids - ever. No experimenting with my own offspring.

Without failure we have no progress.

I hope I die before I get old.

Oh, Pete, thanks for the offer, but horses scare me, even used ones. That is, unless it is one of the 1960s Mustangs you are referring to....

Is it failure they are afraid of...or actual earned success? ;)

What I find interesting, sadly, is the utter disdain people have for failure. It's almost to such an extreme that people will not try things knowing they might possibly fail. They won't go into somthing without some guarantee that they will be successful. Is this a result of the parents providing too much structure and programming? You know everyone in the group participated so you all get a ribbon, everyone is a winner, there are no losers here.

I hope I am wrong here. But I will never know for sure. My wife and I agreed on one thing at the onset - no kids - ever. No experimenting with my own offspring.

Without failure we have no progress.

I hope I die before I get old.

Oh, Pete, thanks for the offer, but horses scare me, even used ones. That is, unless it is one of the 1960s Mustangs you are referring to....

We are turning into a government that enables. We have enabled people to get on welfare and breed generations to stay on welfare. We just passed healthcare to keep them healthy on welfare. We will go the way of Greece if we keep on this track. I wonder how many cowboys are on welfare?

Interestingly enough, did you realize that cowboys started one of the very first health insurance/HMO systems in our country?

Seems it was hard to find doctors in these parts for quite a while, so alot of the ranchers and their hands got together and pooled their money to recruit medical professionals to come back to this area.

Medical insurance was pretty spendy even back then...the average cowboy paid between $1 and $3 a month for the privilege. That's equivalent to about $500 a month in today's money.

The idea was a bit ahead of its time and eventually fell apart after a number of years.

We are turning into a government that enables. We have enabled people to get on welfare and breed generations to stay on welfare. We just passed healthcare to keep them healthy on welfare. We will go the way of Greece if we keep on this track. I wonder how many cowboys are on welfare?

Interestingly enough, did you realize that cowboys started one of the very first health insurance/HMO systems in our country?

Seems it was hard to find doctors in these parts for quite a while, so alot of the ranchers and their hands got together and pooled their money to recruit medical professionals to come back to this area.

Medical insurance was pretty spendy even back then...the average cowboy paid between $1 and $3 a month for the privilege. That's equivalent to about $500 a month in today's money.

The idea was a bit ahead of its time and eventually fell apart after a number of years.

The key phase is "the average cowboy paid between $1 and $3 a month for the privilege."
What a concept, paying for a service, are you sure the government didn't give it to them?
The rich cowboys probably paid for it, damn those rich cowboys!

Heh...

I know, crazy thought...actually WORKING to earn money, and then PAYING someone else for their work. No subsidies, no unfair taxes, just unbridled capitalism.

Sadly $1-3 a month was about 20% of their pay...

The key phase is "the average cowboy paid between $1 and $3 a month for the privilege."
What a concept, paying for a service, are you sure the government didn't give it to them?
The rich cowboys probably paid for it, damn those rich cowboys!

So if you can buy a top drawer health policy for $15k today and make $100k a year, 15% is a bargain. The whole idea hinges on working for pay, what a concept.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
So if you can buy a top drawer health policy for $15k today and make $100k a year, 15% is a bargain. The whole idea hinges on working for pay, what a concept.

Working for pay and paying for service? Nah, it won't work. Vote for me and I'll raise tax and give it to you for free.

making money and working are not synonomous! goods and services get paid for with money. how money is made is another issue. the american ideal seems to be to find a way to work less and make more.

Too true on both accounts. The former is a pitiful state of corporate culture, the latter is a good thing for ALL cultures.

making money and working are not synonomous! goods and services get paid for with money. how money is made is another issue. the american ideal seems to be to find a way to work less and make more.

Back