More and more intrigued by BBC

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
So tonight, while working on the Mirage, a show on BBC America came on called "Doctor Who" (the TV is more or less background noise and I never have seen this program before). I eventually had to catch myself as the ratio of car work completed/broadcast mesmerization (is that a word?) was decreasing at an alarmingly quick but unnoticed rate. I found I had totally stopped all work to allow the sacrifice of an untold number of brain cells as I watching Spitfires (yes, the prop-driven, oxygen consuming, heavier than air, but needing air, 1940's vintage Spitfires) in high earth orbit as they strafed alien spaceships via nimble high-G turns, supposedly during the German air attacks on London during WWII. I surmised this was the situation by an uncanny resemblance to Churchill in one scene. I didn’t know what to think, and still don’t. What I think really happened though is the Acetone/Resin formula induced some sort of hallucination that I could never come to grips with.

Last edited:
Terry,

With all that High Voltage stuff you play a round with I would of thought you had heard of "The Doctor". After all everyone knows that "Tesla" was a "Time Lord". You've got to get out more.
Dave

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Geez, this sounds bizarre! I watch a lot of PBS and IIRC "Doctor Who" is on....might just have to tune in sometime!

Doug

Geez, this sounds bizarre! I watch a lot of PBS and IIRC "Doctor Who" is on....might just have to tune in sometime!
Doug

PBS usually runs the original "Doctor Who" series (episodes aired prior to 1990). In the US, the cable channel BBC America is showing the new "Doctor Who" series (started up in 2005). The SyFy channel is no longer show the new "Doctor Who" series.

If you like "Doctor Who", there's a show spinoff called "Torchwood" that's intended for adults. Three seasons of "Torchwood" aired, but it's in hiatus at the moment.

Dr Who is a "Must Watch" in our household. Even the missus watches it (I say even advisedly, as the missus is a Professor at uni and generally tends to watch intellectual stuff only).
The advantage of time travelling is that you can move the action back to any period you like, and play around with interactions with history, using artistic licence. Dr Who also happens to get some very attractive assistants (if you prefer them over Daleks). Tesla discovered the force fields (anti-gravity, etc.) that UFO's use for propulsion. As David says, you really need to leave the garage and get out more, Terry.

Ben & Dalton,

We will have to find a copy of the original "Doctor Who" movie with Peter Cushing for Terry. I think it was done in the 60's or 70's and it's in black and white. That way we start at the begining and bring him up to speed. "Exterminate" "Exterminate"
Dave

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Boy! Sounds like I've lived the sheltered life here. Note to self, experiment, live life more freely, and watch another episode of Dr Who after I recover.

Terry,

Over here in the U.K, I think just about everyone under the age of 60 has been brought up on Doctor who. It is pretty much considered a national institution over here. I still rememer hiding behind the sofa when The Cybermen were on....

OMG... that was a LONG time ago :)

Graham

Both the '60s Doctor Who movies are in glorious colour. Perhaps you remember them from a screening on a b&w telly. The tv series weren't in colour until the 3rd incarnation of the Doctor ( Jon Pertwee).

The spitfire's were encased in a "bubble" of oxygen which kept them running! Blimey, common sense really!:laugh:
was Star Trek a documentary series then?:lol:
All very enjoyable hokum.

Simon,

Hokum, this thread is very relative to the GT40 and other cars on this site. After all we are all driving and building our own time machines.

Terry, the American take off of "Dr. Who" were those great classic's "Dr. Peabody and Sherman". Don't forget the wayback machine.

Dave

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
was Star Trek a documentary series then?:lol:
All very enjoyable hokum.

What I have never understood about the original STAR TREK is why if warp speed was umpteen times faster than the speed of light and radio waves travel at the speed of light, why would they radio to Star Fleet Command? Wouldn't it be FASTER to just go there?

And if they radio out at warp 9 and then turn around, will they intercept their own communication?

and, while the new show is good, Tom Baker is STILL the best Doctor of all time.

Tom Baker was my first, and he's my favorite.

And K-9 the best sidekick.

There's now a K-9 series. It started earlier this year. It's produced in Australia and airs on one of the Disney cable channels in Europe. Because of copyright and trademark issues, K-9 has a different body (BBC owns the image, but not the character) and none other Doctor Who characters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-9_(TV_series)

And before this K-9 series, one episode of a series called "K-9 and Company" with Sarah Jane Smith (Liz Sladen) was aired in 1981, but then the show disappeared.

However Sarah Jane Smith is back with her own series on the BBC.

BBC - CBBC - The Sarah Jane Adventures - Home

The fourth season will start airing in the Autumn.

If you don't remember, Sarah Jane was a companion for Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

Back