A cool bit of engineering.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Well, it's electric, so I guess it needs something in the order of the torque produced by diesel truck starter. LOL That'd rule!

Pete K.

GT40s Supporter
Really neat!

That said...

... go to a Wal*Mart and then tell me that this device is good for society!

;-)

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
I wonder how long it takes something like that to make those skinny women into obese cows? They ought to sell well in the U.S. where we love to buy anything that is guaranteed to make us overweight. I hate crap like that. But the sooner those lazy ass people get fat and have heart attacks the better off we all will be. So I guess it's a BIG deal.

Er, David, I don't think it's PC to be wanting to be rid of the mass-challenged people among us. But I absolutely agree with the sentiment. My daily driver doesn't even have power steering, so I get a good upper-body workout just getting out of the office carpark.

I can see a lot of use for something like that. Get Granny and Gramps able to make the longer outings with the grankids. Rent one after your new knee goes in for a few weeks. And, of course, a whole new category for the X-Games.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Aside from everything else, you just have to admit that this is SO CLEVER from an engineering point of view.

I am looking forward to seeing Asimo riding this (or maybe Honda will just add these wheels as retractable undercarriage in Asimo's feet) !

Take cheap shots at the concept if you like, but next time you see a disabled person struggling with a wheelchair (the technology of which seems to have stalled in the 1950's), pause for a moment & think about how this new concept might be able to change lives for the better.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Can you imagine people driving these things around while using their i-pad? It looks like the perfect complementary device for i-pad's and the flood of 'pad' computers that are about to enter the market.

I must say that the use of attractive females for this product demo was a good choice; though they should have been wearing short skirts...

Dave Wood

Lifetime Supporter
Take cheap shots at the concept if you like, but next time you see a disabled person struggling with a wheelchair (the technology of which seems to have stalled in the 1950's), pause for a moment & think about how this new concept might be able to change lives for the better.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

As someone that has disabled people in the family, my son is paralyzed from the waist down and my wife is an invalid from cancer taking her, I think you are mistaken regarding stalled technology...unless you only consider computers technology. If the concept was about helping THOSE individuals, why is it that they used cute models with NO impairment?? I am sure someone made the same case for the Segway. The most I have ever seen those used was in INDY at the downtown enclosed shopping area...by lazy ass security people that looked like they could use a little walking. Doesn't it bother you that the people you seem to be so concerned with helping could get seriously injured further from an electrical/computer failure??( I know it never happens, ask Toyota they'll back you up) When these things become mass produced( I doubt they will) they will be considered as being flawless and typical safety concerns will go out the window. I see lawsuits from those that have more money than sense, just what we don't need.
I am old enough to recall when the parking meters were checked by foot patrol, later 3 wheeled motorcycles and now they use Blazers and Explorers. This is in the exact same community...that refers to themselves as "green". Call me a Luddite, I just don't think something should be welcomed just because it can be done. Cell phones are a GREAT example. Devised to make communication from remote areas possible, now every parent seems to feel that their 10 year old should have one. Somehow creating a false sense of security that could have been a real sens if they had taught their children to be careful and that all people are not their friend. But that doesn't generate a monthly bill. Kind of like the teach someone to fish sentiment. Teach your children how to be safe and they will be for the rest of their lives, teach them to rely on technology to make them safe and they will wind up on a milk carton.
By the way..that wasn't a cheap shot that was a multi-million dollar shot.

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Dave, you don't seriously think I was suggesting disabled people be perched up on a single wheel ?

I didn't mention it, but I was thinking a little outside the square - a multi-wheeled version for inherent stability, but taking advantage of :

- The ability to move sideways & diagonally
- Control via body (or maybe even just head) movements

I also have 2 wheelchair users in my family, & both of them thought that these attributes would be a wonderful improvement.

By "stalled technology", I was referring to the majority of powered wheelchairs still on the market - heavy units powered by a couple of ancient starter motors & lead-acid batteries ! It seems that modern brushless hub-motors & lithium batteries are only just starting to impact on wheelchair design, after having been around for electric bikes & model aircraft for quite a while.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back