280 HP VW Vanagon twin turbo

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Ok I may have went a little overboard on the HP so I dropped the boost level down to 7 psi from 15 psi. The second time I got on it to check the A/F ratio on the gauge I heard a popping noise coming from the back. It was in tune with the wheel speed so I dropped the old CV joints down and yes they didn't like the punishment. So I have new half shafts on the way and will keep the boost level down to save the input shat and transaxle of the the old VW Vanagon. I put a clutch and pressure plate in that is good for 300+ HP so from that back is going to be a good question. When you got on it and boost came up I had a hard time controlling the old girl as she has never been 80+ MPH that I can remember and the front end comes up so high that its hard to steer, the subie engine is heavier and the extra power really exaggerates the steering so I put new shocks all the way around and airbags on the rear coils, also the subie had pwr steering pump cruise control, and AC so I added all of them which makes a real joy to drive. I have several people ask me "WHY?" well two reasons, ONE is the long block 105 HP VW waterbox is $2500 with a core, the JDM engine I got had less than 40k miles on it and twice the technology for $960 all day long. The adapter bell housing is a perfect unit made by a company in WA www.smallcar.com for $590 which included the internal hydraulic throw out bearing. I will hand it to these guys what they sell is perfect engineered stuff, it fit like a glove and great instructions on how to do it. The subie conversion is quite popular because of cost and reliability. Doing the twin turbo is a little overboard, I think the standard subie engine is what most guys do and a good swap.

The JDM Subaru twin turbo WRX motor stock is 250 HP at 10 PSI water to air intercooling, so at 7 PSI and water injection it should be in the 200 range and some easy foot feed it should last many years to come. I opted for water injection because there is no room for an intercooler and there is a built in 20 gallon water tank in the Vanagon Camper. The motor mounts for the twin turbo were totally different that was Small Car sells so I had to make them myself and that was pretty easy done. The exhaust is two super traps I had used on my twin turbo Ferrari so I put them on which give its a real cool sound, the twin turbo subie engine is sequential so only one side makes noise till 5 PSI of boost then the second side opens up, the subie engineers really had this figured out.

TWO Because I love doing it and I can.

The real test will be the Rocky's in two weeks when I drive her back to CA for a family visit. I will post some more pictures when she is all done.

PS if anyone wants a long block 1.9 waterbox for a Vanagon with new heads real cheap let me know, it on a pallet and ready with all the hardware.

Attachments

• DSCN3734.jpg
    DSCN3734.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 608
Jack,
That sounds like a fun project. I love the old Vanagon and I have always thought I might do something similar. Right On!
Garry

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Wow what a job.... One of only a few VW Bus' that won't be a rolling roadblock... :thumbsup:

There's a local guy here that has one that has some very deep toned ominous sounds coming from it. easily 2 more power pulses over the expected 4. Maybe even twice that... All I can say is that it has a bout an 8" long extension of the bodywork in the rear and will leave two wide rubber marks on the pavement when he accelerates too hard..

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks guys I will get a video of it with some sound but you will not see any burn outs, I think it was the fast shift to second and 6 feet of rubber in my driveway that was the nail in the coffin for the CVs. I wonder if the VW transaxle would be the same as a 911 unit? Another gear would be cool.

Funny story about the old Westfalia camper, I was driving down the road pulling a backhole with my wife in the passenger seat of my 1 ton and seen this thing with a for sale sign on it in Sonoma County CA, I whipped over and said to her we are going to buy this thing and have a good time on the coast diving and camping out. She is from Michigan and does nothing on a quick decision, so every time I do something like this she trembles. So I started it up and drove it around the block and said I will take it and wrote out the check for $2500, asked her to follow me as going from Sonoma to Mendocino county there are some curvy roads and hills. Now remember I am pulling a backhole on a trailer and creping up and down hills is the only way. I lost her! Pulled over on the Hwy and called her cell, she said I walked off from her at 65 and she was still catching up, from the hills. :) I hadn't owned it 2 hours and this was already in the back of my mind. We (I mostly) have enjoyed this old camper more than 8 years and hope to have a lot more fun in it now with all the upgrades.

I do recommend the Small Car company for any of you that have one of these old vans, there stuff is great and very reasonable.

I have a old 73 Porsche 914 California car thats body is really good shape in the barn and was just wondering what a 300+ WRX STI motor would do in it? :)

Last edited:

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Renegade Hybrids has a kit for that...

I spoke and hung out with the owner of Renegade Racing and he said that conversion is absolutely perfect for that car and is sooooooo much fun. LOL I highly recommend checking it out.

Back