The Shirley Sharrod Affair

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni,

You still have to wonder why Breitbart would ask the NAACP for a copy of this tape when we all know that the original tape did not show racism and would not help his quest to slander the NAACP!

Perhaps because he did not care what the original speach covered because he was going to change it anyway!

Pat

Supporter
Jim, unless you have personally discussed this matter with Andrew Breitbart you have no idea what his intentions may have been. Unless you know the direct source of his tape and whether he edited it or not you are simply projecting assumptions now aren't you?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Veek,

The NAACP said the aked for a copy of this tape, he then said that they sent him the tape just as he released it.

Jim, unless you have personally discussed this matter with Andrew Breitbart you have no idea what his intentions may have been
posted by Veek.

His stated intentions were to show that the NAACP is just as racist as the tea party.

His words!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Who knows. Maybe she was disliked by someone in her area, and they set her up.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
Domtoni

Yes Domtoni I think you are right, the persons name is Breitbart.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim, unless you have personally discussed this matter with Andrew Breitbart you have no idea what his intentions may have been. Unless you know the direct source of his tape and whether he edited it or not you are simply projecting assumptions now aren't you?/QUOTE] Posted by Veek

Veek, I like the way you feel,

In the future in any of your discussions here on the form, unless you have discussed the matter with the person you are talking about, please refrain from projecting assumptions!

I'll try and remind you if you forget!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
OC

The link you posted continues to play the out of context, missleading tape that started the whole problem, how is this helpful?

Pat

Supporter
The aim of an argument or discussion should not be victory, but progress.
-Joseph Joubert

Jim when you say of Breitbart ..."his quest to slander the NAACP!" I'd like to see your facts to support that. You went on to say, “Perhaps because he did not care what the original speech(sic) covered because he was going to change it anyway!”

I simply asked the question, where are your facts how do you know this? If it's just your speculation, state the the basis or admit that this is something you're assuming.

I don't know Breitbart's motivation (and neither do you) and slander is a provocative term and legally actionable. Now the facts: Breitbart says (transcript from Hannity):
"This is what she said that has to do with what's going on right now and why this is not about Shirley and Andrew, this is about the NAACP and the Congressional Black Caucus and the Democratic Party: "Tainting the Tea Party movement with the charge of racism is proving to be an effective strategy for Democrats. There's no evidence that the Tea Party adherence are any more racist than other Republicans and indeed many other Americans. But getting them to spend their time purging the ranks and having candidates distance themselves should help Democrats in November, having one's opponent rebut charges of racism is far better than discussing — "

The fact is, that what he said. What he meant is speculative so let's call it that with some analysis. His statements as to intent lead me to believe this is not "slander" but a confrontation of the NAACP, Black Caucus and the Democrats for what he believes are false claims against the Tea Party movement. Ironically, the fact that Ms Sherrod's out of context statements about her past racial bias got her fired by the administration, discredited by the NAACP and pilloried in the media easily provide a construct where disputed Tea Party use of the "N"-word and alleged spitting on a black congressman get traction when, like the evidence against Ms Sharrod, it may well be a fabrication or contextual manipulation.

So caution may be wise not to do to Mr. Breitbart and the Tea Party movement that was done to Ms. Sherrod. It could be equally irresponsible.

Jim, please call me on my assumptions and I'll continue to address your vacancy of factual support. ;)

Last edited:
Jim, this interview is after it was known that the original tape was out of context. If you listen, he does make some comments about it. But, this tape is mostly about what his intentions are and other things Shirley Sharrod was involved in, like the shockingly abused Pigford settlement.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
As I understand the information (including the links posted) here's the shorthand version:

The conservative website Big Government posted an "edited" video.

NAACP admitted providing the video, but not in the edited version.

The Bee-OH administration (not Bee-OH, himself) asked for Ms. Sherrod's resignation after seeing the edited version of the video, and Ms. Sherrod did as was requested.

When the "unedited" version of the video became public, the Bee-OH administration agent responsible admitted that he had acted unilaterally in demanding Ms. Sherrod's resignation.

Bee-OH, himself, became involved, forwarding to Ms. Sherrod a formal apology and made good-faith efforts to provide Ms. Sherrod with a position within his administration.

OK, so I have to ask where it appears reasonable to assign blame....hard to blame the NAACP for providing a complete video, hard to blame Bee-OH for taking the initiative to try to make things right.

OK, so we CAN assign a bit of blame to the agriculture department's leadership for having acted so quickly. As soon as the truth regarding the context of the video became evident, Bee-OH did his best to make it right, and I'd bet part of that is a private a$$-chewing for the ag department's poor judgement.

Why isn't EVERYBODY just jumping-up-and-down mad about Breitbard, who is the proprietor of the "Big Government" website? He seems to be the true villain here......and, IMHO, if there is any justice, Sherrod is due a huge civil settlement from him for the damage he's done to her reputation by his actions.....it's called libel!

Of course, if one is anti-Bee-OH, or a radical conservative, Breitbart might well be considered a hero and his "Big Government" website a reliable, believable website....

Doug

Doug,
Yep, welcome to the world of sound bites. This type of attack has been going on for over 15 years and getting worse. In the "politically correct" society it is sad to see that this type of attack has prospered. The damage is done before the person who is maligned has a chance to refute the skewed facts. The internet is a fast place to render gossip. Gossip, by the way, is one of the origional sins in the Bible. Now we know why.
I have seen this technique used by both political parties, the Sierra Club, the Rainbow Coalition, the Swift Boaters, etc.,etc., to further their agendas and smear a person before all of the context is known. You would think that honorable people would wait for more facts to surface from responsible investigators before jumping on the band wagon. But that is what the smear experts intended.
Garry

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Domtoni,

Once again. Why would Breitbart ask for a copy of the tape that everyone knows did not show racism?

Veek,

The NAACP said the aked for a copy of this tape, he then said that they sent him the tape just as he released it.

posted by Veek.

His stated intentions were to show that the NAACP is just as racist as the tea party.

His words!

Jim, where in the hell do you get the idea (and the proof) that the Tea Party is racist? Every large gathering of people has some nitwit with a stupid sign, planted, or otherwise.
On the whole the Tea Party is very well behaved. The name of the NAACP implies racism.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jim, where in the hell do you get the idea (and the proof) that the Tea Party is racist?

Newsweek:
Until now, that is. A new survey by the University of Washington Institute for the Study of Ethnicity, Race & Sexuality offers fresh insight into the racial attitudes of Tea Party sympathizers. "The data suggests that people who are Tea Party supporters have a higher probability"—25 percent, to be exact—"of being racially resentful than those who are not Tea Party supporters," says Christopher Parker, who directed the study. "The Tea Party is not just about politics and size of government. The data suggests it may also be about race."

The Tea Party movement has shown its ugly colors yesterday as members of its movement hurled racial epithets at several black congressman
obamawhiteslaverysign.jpg
during their so-called health care protest yesterday in Washington D.C. And, as the House votes on Healthcare Reform today the Tea Party's message has been twarted by racism.

Al there are literally hundreds of similar articles

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back