Could easily be one of us.

Wow,

It looks to me like when the parachute opened up, it jerked the back end of the car loosing traction and sent him off the road. Very hard to compensate and pull out of it at that speed !!

I've said it before (and I'll say it again), at 200mph a car acts more like an ground borne airplane than a car. Normal car territory stops at about 170 (and for some, much less - my old hotrod MGB wanted to take off and fly at 95mph) and there's a huge difference between 170 and 200+. If you've ever tried to get a car above 200 then you know that an invisible magic wall appears right around 175 that is incredibly difficult to push through w/o astronomical hp.

If your aero is not dialed in above 180 then you're going to be in big trouble.

This brings back memories of spinning through the lights at 210 at the Salt Flats. Fortunately for me, the car stayed on all four. Unlike this track, we had a lot of runoff room.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Pete

I'm sure if that had been me in that car not only would my pants have been full but my body would have emptied itself out of every orifice possible and then some more.
Dimi

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
The slightest asymmetry with the installation, or deployment of, the brake parachute or the effect of even a slight crosswind as the parachute initially deployed at those sort of speeds would adversely affect the directional control. Brake Parachutes are great until they create steering problems. If it were me (those famous last words) me I would always keep one had on the jettison control or mount a jettison button on the steering wheel .

If your aero is not dialed in above 180 then you're going to be in big trouble.

I was a passenger in Nadine/Bjorn's GT2 Comp Coupe Viper a couple of years back and after they had removed the rear wing in an attempt to make it more slippery, every time we passed 165mph the rear would break loose and start the car waggling its arse-end... Which was 'interesting'

This year - in Roy Smart's stock bodied MK1 GTD40 the car felt rock solid and stable at 183+mph on the warm up run (thankfully), just wish I'd got a second run as that '200' is not too far off now.

Ron Earp

Admin
  • Why the parachute?
  • Was the parachute ever used before?
  • Anything wrong with using the massive brakes of the car to stop?
  • I suppose since they were "amazed" that the driver lived then the car had no cage?

Pat

Supporter
That is a very lucky boy. Ron, like you, I'd trust the designers at Lambo as to the onboard brakes before I'd jury rig a drag chute. Who knows what he mounted it to. It very well could have jerked the rear wheels off the ground breaking grip.
If any of you have read Mark Donohue's book "The Unfair Advantage" he spoke of the GT40MKII's slipping clutch on the Mulsanne which was later determined to be the rear of the car becoming airborn at 200MPH. As said earlier, beyond 170 is definitely organ donor territory...

I was a passenger in Nadine/Bjorn's GT2 Comp Coupe Viper a couple of years back and after they had removed the rear wing in an attempt to make it more slippery, every time we passed 165mph the rear would break loose and start the car waggling its arse-end... Which was 'interesting'

This year - in Roy Smart's stock bodied MK1 GTD40 the car felt rock solid and stable at 183+mph on the warm up run (thankfully), just wish I'd got a second run as that '200' is not too far off now.

Great to hear she felt good at 183. Without add'l aero such as winglets and a rear dam I'd guess that she's getting pretty light on both the front and rear ends, but perhaps not. Good luck with the push to 200! My personal experience has been that's there's a huge difference between 180 and 200 with all kinds of funky things happening such as wipers flying off, wing mirrors disappearing, weaving, loss of steering, windows getting sucked out of their rails, etc. Obviously, quite hairy!

Back