staggeringly amazing.

Shitty death - what an arsehole!

I don't pretend that I don't drive like a prat sometimes, but never when I'm endangering others....

He will be roadkill within days probably.

Yes Sir, you want to buy an R1 Sir. Yes Sir. May I ask Sir, why do you want the 9 inch handlebars and the deleted footpegs Sir...?

Wow! Nuts!

Tim.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
So...in Russia the double (or for that fact, the single) line between lanes is the motorcycle express lane? We need that here in the US.

Charlie M

Supporter
I saw a guy, probably in his early 20s, pull the front wheel up doing about 50-60 mph on a busy highway. That in itself was bad enough but what really got my ass was he had a girl on the back. All I could think was if that were my daughter on the back, he would never ride again (and I'd probably be going to jail). What an asshole.

Charlie

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Charlie - it's a relatively easy thing to do if you have enough power and once you have enough speed (and maybe the gyroscope effect of the wheels) it can be sustained by acceleration or at a constant speed by maintaining balance. In reality it's quite innocuous though car drivers often seem to get a bit upset. It's a normal sort of thing at the Ace cafe in London and I think just about everyone does it when the roads are dry and the road ahead is relatively clear. Balancing on the front wheel under braking is a bit more skilfull. My Duc999 is history now but I'm working my next machine which will be the 1198sp. Ducati Superbike 1198 SP - Ducati

Some say it's almost a sexual thing.........

Wheelies are an art - you can either do them properly or you can't. There is however a time and a place and on public roads with other road users, pedestrians or a pillion is neither time or place...

I am with Charlie on the daughter scenario too, I don't have children but if I did, I would not want them exposed to such danger.

Any wheelies I pull are 99% of the time unexpected, where an overzealous launch from stationary instantly lifts the front.. I have a GSX 1400 which is about the size of an aircraft carrier and not best suited to such antics.

The R1 chap is a nutter - there are people like that all over the world and despite their apparent ability/skill, they clearly have no grasp of the possible consequential damage of an incident - I suspect many of them end up R.I.P.

David - Love the look of that 1198SP - simply awesome. I hope you have a plinth planned for your living room to stick it on when not riding so you get to admire it 24/7...:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I tried an MV F4 and a Desmosedici RR a little while back and both were just weapons! FAR FAR beyond my ability.:cry:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Paul,
My Italian friend Luigi Landi , who is also quite a radical architect, suggested a glass wall in the side of the garage. His Electrical Installations Manager, also named Davide, has about 15 Ducatis, all superbikes and one of them is actually one of Mike Hailwoods race bikes (Real - not just a paint job), another garage with MVs - some vintage -and countless artifacts. If ever you are in the Imola area let me know and I'll sort out an intro. He's an amazing character and one of his sidelines is accepting a lot of new Ducs for various people and then they only collect them after Davide has finished with the factory getting each of them perfect. He wanted to mod my 999 to R spec but it wasn't something I wanted to do. He got the last rites once after a crash on the circuit in Imola but pulled though but is just as wild a rider on the circuit as I have ever seen.

2011 Ducati 1198SP first ride

By MCN -
New bikes
19 October 2010 14:03

MCN Senior Road Tester, Michael Neeves, is currently at Imola in Italy testing the new Ducati 1198SP. Here’s his first impressions:
"This is the replacement for the Ducati 1198S, costing an estimated £17,495. Like the Ducati 1198S it has traction control, datalogging, Ohlins forks, Brembo monoblock brakes, an Ohlins adjustable steering damper and carbon fibre front mudguard.
"But this new model also has a larger and lighter 18-litre fuel tank (which reduces all up weight by 1kg to 168kg), a quick-shifter, a slipper clutch and the latest generation Ohlins TTX rear shock.
“Riding the SP around Imola the most obvious improvement is the quick-shifter, which lets you change gear faster and with less effort, this in turn lets you concentrate on going faster round the track.
"The slipper clutch keeps the large capacity engine from making the bike unstable on downshifts into corners and the larger fuel tank will be a relief to road riders who have had to put up with a 15 litre tank up until now.
“Ducati has only given us one session to try the bike, the rest of the time we have been riding the Ducati 848 Evo (which MCN has already tested) so we have had no time to adjust the suspension or the traction control.
"Our test bike is also on standard suspension settings which are far too soft for the track – with the Pirelli race tyres fitted the bike is tying itself in knots on the straights and through the corners.
"There is undoubtedly the range of adjustment in the Ohlins forks and new shock to dial this out but unfortunately we haven’t had the opportunity."
See Michael’s full test in next week’s MCN – out October 27.

Charlie M

Supporter
Charlie - it's a relatively easy thing to do if you have enough power and once you have enough speed (and maybe the gyroscope effect of the wheels) it can be sustained by acceleration or at a constant speed by maintaining balance. In reality it's quite innocuous though car drivers often seem to get a bit upset. It's a normal sort of thing at the Ace cafe in London and I think just about everyone does it when the roads are dry and the road ahead is relatively clear. Balancing on the front wheel under braking is a bit more skilfull. My Duc999 is history now but I'm working my next machine which will be the 1198sp. Ducati Superbike 1198 SP - Ducati

Some say it's almost a sexual thing.........

David,

Having the girl on the back while driving like that is what bothered me. I'll be the first to admit I did plenty of stupid things when I was younger, I think I'm fortunate to still be around to bitch about others' "youthful indiscretions".

That Ducati is a beautiful machine, if I didn't spend most of my extra cash on cars maybe I could afford something better than the 72 Sportster I have now.

Charlie

So whats worse ? loud pipes , cracking on them stop light to stop light . OR crotch rockets zipping around . Makes me look for my fly swatter !
On the other hand , if my wife hadn't been laied-off , I would now own a new yellow R1 .
But would only zip from stop light to stop light ..... and then there would be no time to work on the kit car .

WHATTA IDIOT!!!!!!

I ride fast but this is just plain stupid, keep that at the track then we ca see if you can ride for real buzzing cars and worse trucks.... Neither he nor his poor R1 will stay in one piece for long

Back