Packing help needed

So... I ordered some bits from Jegs and had them delivered to my hotel here in Detroit.

I wasn't really thinking and ordered some Thermo-Tec Aucostical mat. 36"x60" to be exact. Great price, but it won't fit in the suitcase.

Any thoughts from fellows? Cut it the roll in half, or just carry the roll through the airport (which I probably don't want to do if you get what I mean ;) )

Ta
Brett

Brett, if I can carry a whole/complete front euro bumper and spoiler for a bmw 635 (about 6' long and 90lbs) through Heathrow and check it, like I did back in about 1990, they you can certainly carry a roll of Thermo-Tec....

Take it with you, and check it in. I doubt anyone will bat an eye at it. You should see a Lagos flight check in, the amount of rolled up carpets has to be seen to be believed.

And I think customs are more interested in the 3000 cigs you have in your bag rather than the roll of tin foil under your arm.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Brett,

If you have time on your hands while at your hotel, i'd suggest disguising it.
Try some olive drab spray paint and concoct a few attachments to make it look something like this : :idea:

Attachments

• law-66.jpg
    law-66.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 155
Brett,
put in a box & mark it Printer Cartridges :laugh:

Seriously, wrap it some cardboard with you name on & check into the hold. I brought a pair of cylinder heads back from the US using this method and no questions asked!

Regards

Andy

They won't be concerned with it. I brought in 3 sets of megaphone exhausts in a big suitecase last year from the U.S. They stopped me at customs and asked how long I'd been in the U.S. I said "4 days".
"so why so much baggage and what's in the cases" they asked. I told them "an exhaust system for my car ". They smiled and waved me on. Didn't even bother to check them.:drunk:

Martin

Keith

I am sure times have changed now, but I brought back a high rise single plane sbc intake manifold, a Holley 750 DP and a box full of CC Roller Rockers in my (heavy!) bag, and the security guy at JFK didn't bat an eyelid either, and as it went through the XRay machine he reeled off exactly what parts they were from his monitor. That was in the '80's.

In the '70's I brought back 6 police emergency beacons (don't ask) in 6 boxes strapped together as one. Not bothered at all. But like I say, things might be different now.

I had more problems with UK customs trying to convince those guys that they honestly only cost $50..... :laugh:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I went to Phoenix during a stopover in LA and collected my 302 complete with Webers from a guy called Slugger at Mid Valley racing, and brought it back to LA with American. I took the webers off the manifold in LA and put the rest in the bulk cargo compartment on my jet and flew it into London as a used engine. The customs guy told me I was done over in Phoenix and should have got one from his mate in Milton Keynes or some such place. Or maybe it was Slough.
On another occasion I got a 2nd hand swirl pot and the rear window (just behind the drivers head ) for Kerry Adams from a 917 at Vasek Polaks place in Hermosa Beach. I told customs they were from a car boot sale - and they looked it.
I took a greetings or get well card from Kerry for Vasek so I've no idea how much they cost.
I estimated $10 for my crew dec. A few years later Kerry told me they were $1100.

I carried a holdall with 4 coilovers and some electrical goods, including some switches, through the Heathrow check in the day after the bus bombs went off in London in 2005. That got some excitment going on the part of the x ray staff.....

Cheers

Fred W B

Back