The Ashes 2010

The Aussies have got off to a good start, with a superb hatrick for Siddle. Ask me how I know... up at three thirty this morning :)

Now we just need to skittle you boys out tonight. Won't be easy on a pretty slow track...

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
A wonderful day of cricket (day 1) especialy as I was hosting my Pommie mate Mike who had flown over from England for the match. Quite a toff is Mike, turned up in a Panama hat and linen jacket. I think the surrounding Aussies were quite a culture shock for him. (Not as bad as the soccer yobs though.) Siddels Hatrick was a cracker! Day 2 was also very interesting, but I wont spoil it for those of you who live on the wrong side of the world and may have taped it. Looks like a good summer coming up.:thumbsup:

The problem with the Aussies is that they have never learnt to roll over and die! Just confirms there is nothing like an Ashes series :)

We aren't going to roll over either, not if last nights play had anything to do with it...

It's going to be a great series :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I suspect a new ball might be called for on the last day (80 over rule) and
'Punter' Ponting will bring the pace bowlers more into the action. Will it work though?
Punter at best will get a draw and at worst a defeat.
IMHO I think a draw is on the cards.

I suspect a new ball might be called for on the last day (80 over rule) and
'Punter' Ponting will bring the pace bowlers more into the action. Will it work though?
Punter at best will get a draw and at worst a defeat.
IMHO I think a draw is on the cards.

David,

The Aussies have already taken the first new ball, and the plucky English boys have seen it off :)

A draw is on the cards, I agree.

Probably a good idea to explain some of the nuances of this most noble of sports, mainly for the foreigners who frequent this wonderful website.

Test cricket - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great idea to print it off and read all about it in bed tonight if you don't have something better to attend to.

If the above is to complicated try this

Cricket: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out.

Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game

BBC - Radio 5 live

Listen to the struggle !

David,

I think that TMS (Test Match Special) on 5live Sports Extra is one of the finest broadcasts a man can listen to!

TMS to the unititiated is basically eight hours of ex cricket players and commentators talking about the game in hand as it unfolds every day during the five days of a test match, not unlike all other sports radio commentaries. It is so OLD now, that it has become a wonderful institution of high drama, farce, comedy and irreverance and I for one find it great at three AM when I can't sleep!

As to the cricket - Pete, eat your words :) There was only one winner in that test match, and that was the wicket :thumbsdown: We could have gone another three days without a result on that tame flat track... A true bowlers graveyard which ended up as a batting paradise which has claimed quite a few records...

On to Adelaide - COME ON ENGLAND!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
???? What words? Five days of test cricket at the Gabba and a bloody draw! Well done the Poms a draw is as good as a win when you hold the Ashes. Our bowling didn't let us down but six dropped catches did. Diabolical fielding.

but I wont spoil it for those of you who live on the wrong side of the world and may have taped it. Looks like a good summer coming up.:thumbsup:

Pete, these were the words I was referring to (in jest I hasten to add, hence the smiley). I figured that at the time you had us under the pump, and as such, were making humourous hay while the sun shone.

I hope Adelaide will be a better competition between bat and ball, and produce a cracker. I know I'm biased, but the last two Ashes series in old Blighty have been unbelievably close, making them pure drama for a Cricket fan. I really want the same from Down Under.

Cheers,

Graham.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Paceman Mitchell Johnson has been dropped from Australia's side for the second cricket Test against England. <!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_introduction) --><!-- // .story-intro --><!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_body, weight=high) -->
Australian captain Ricky Ponting said Johnson's poor form in his wicketless Ashes opener cost him a place for the Adelaide Test starting Friday.
Johnson had a horror time during the drawn first Test in Brisbane, finishing with match figures of 0-170, dropping a catch and making a 19-ball duck.
Ponting announced that Johnson would be absent from the team, although the final XI was yet to be named.
Johnson admitted to understandable disappointment at losing his place, but said a lack of wickets in the first Test had counted against him.
"I'm a strike bowler for Australia and I need to be getting wickets," he said.
Coach Tim Neilsen said Johnson would be kept in the Australian squad, and he would be given as much chance as possible to play for Western Australia before the third Ashes Test, which takes place in Perth from December 16

Back