Scams at Christmas

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
This came about a week ago through the RAF network and though I have no way of verifying the content, it may be true so don't get scammed by it:

Sent: 19 November 2010 11:21
To: SAN_All Users CIS MOD Site St Athan; SAN_All Army Personnel
Subject: Postal Scam

Sir/Maam/All

Please circulate this especially as Xmas is fast approaching - it has been confirmed by Royal Mail. The Trading Standards Office are making people aware of the following scam:

A card is posted through your door from a company called PDS (Parcel Delivery Service) suggesting that they were unable to deliver a parcel and that you need to contact them on 0906 6611911 (a Premium rate number).

DO NOT call this number, as this is a mail scam originating from Belize.

If you call the number and you start to hear a recorded message you will already have been billed £315 for the phone call.

If you do receive a card with these details, then please contact Royal Mail Fraud on 020 7239 6655.

Chris Whinnerah
Cpl
Community Police
MoD St Athan
No 2 RAF Police Wing - 7 Sqn

( 95421 Ext 8168 / 8009 (Mil)
( 01446 798168 (Civ)

Keith

Yes, it's been around for some time and it's a simple but effective scam, especially as one has parcels delivered almost daily. Fortunately the Scottish/Yorkshire portion of my blood will not allow me to dial any premium rate number for any reason.

I won't even dial 0870 numbers but look them up on a website called "Say No to 0870" and find the regular landline number for the outfit I want to speak to.

Works every time.

Unfortunately these scams hit the most vulnerable..

Back