Wikileaks?

A question for all of you in Oz. What's the Aussie consensus on Assange? Is he anti-West, anti-American or something else? I chalked up the first 'release' as just anti-war, and we have a lot of those here in the States. This second 'release', however, goes way beyond that.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
He's a computer Hacker with a huge ego and no concept of the harm he has done. Same mentality as so called Graffiti artists. IMHO he should be charged with treason, (we are at war) and shot! Bugger, we don't have the death penalty. O.K. life then.

I thought you guys loved the second amendment etc... :) or is it the fifth, I can never remember :)

I don't necessarily agree with the guys motives, or his modus operandi, but he operates inside the law (such that it is)...

Who else is going to hold government to account?

Pete - are you going to get on a soap box and do something about the state of affairs in Oz?

Jack - ditto (but not for Oz, obviously:) ).

Unfortunately, we need whistleblowers for these exact reasons. They are focussed (probably too much so), but they often do the dirty work that we wouldn't want to do.

Again, I don't agree with his choice of information dispersal, but he is filling a void that in some ways needs to be filled.

'Off with his head' doesn't really get to the intellectual heart of it though...

I agree Graham. My earlier post was "tounge in cheek" to get a reaction.
Firstly, The government is responsible for protecting the information.
Secondly, the source of this information (and not a scapegoat) should be found out.
Additionally, Assange really has comitted no crime, but I wonder how much of this information was intentionally leaked by government sources and to what purpose...

Keith

Additionally, Assange really has comitted no crime, .

Vanity is an anti-social crime and one of the Deadly Sins.

The masses don't give 2 sh1ts what this guy leaks.

Best thing is to ignore him not mount DOS attacks on his site which only enhances his sense of self importance. He doesn't act in my interests and I'm not the slightest bit interested who said what to whom plus I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire.

The note of concern is the sheer number of people who had access, and the guy who gave the stuff to that poofter was a buck private in the US Army. They know who he is.

PS Happy Birthday Jack. If that were one of my daughters, I'd have to lend (give) them the money to pay for it.

As Governments, with the help of religious fundamentalists, find more and more ways to erode rights etc and as the conventional press has become less interested in fact than opinion and has completely lost its sense of direction when it comes to investigative journalism, something like Wikileaks is necessary IMO.
Apart from anything else it gives the conventional press evidence that they are no longer able, or perhaps willing, to pursue and a place for whistleblowers to put evidence out there in a time when people would rather keep their heads in the sand and shoot the messenger.
Think back to the events of the past that have been exposed by whistleblowers and through the actions of those who take on the powers that be.

To listen to and believe politicians, bureaucrats or religious fundamentalists (of any persuasion) is folly, as is taking any notice of propagandised opinion wearing the mask of journalism - No names mentioned...

Hey, something funny for the religious conservatives out there:- when I was a kid going to church I was taught a method of working out what name (number of the beast) could decode as 666 - count the letters in single digits up to 10, then by tens up to 100, then count by 100s. ;)
abcdeFghijklmnOpqrstuvwXyz.

;)

Take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt, no matter where it comes from, and you might see the truth hidden in there somewhere. We live in ugly and interesting times, there are many bad guys out there but Wikileaks is not one of them IMO.
Maybe a bad guy could take advantage of the Wikileaks system but they do that with politics, religion and other media anyway. At least Wikileaks is about trying to present truth and fact, not just opinion.

Wikileaks also showed Australians what was the real thinking behind internet filtering when our government decided that it might use its filter to block Wikileaks, or parts of it.
Ugly times.

Tim.

(Apparently it should be 616 anyway but who's counting. ;))

Pat

Supporter
Having spent quite a bit of time in the military and dealing with classified info, the shocker to me is how one PFC has access to all this data and can download and transmit without detection.
In my mind there has to be multiple sources and I suspect we'll never know how much was intentionally leaked. The little dirtbag may just end up as the fall guy.
Given the disclosures about Iran, China, and the nut job in N. Korea, they serve as an interesting leverage point.
To me the previous disclosures were far worse. I also don't support the absurd notion that disclosing named sources and operational/tactical intelligence thereby putting lives at risk serves some sort of higher journalistic or whistleblower purpose.

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with Graham. :shocked:

Whistleblowers are a very necessary part of our culture ESPECIALLY today. With all the special interest groups, lobbying, media bias, corporate purchasing of votes, corruption & scandal by our elected representatives...just who the hell is gonna let the average guy know what exactly is going on?

I disagree that any of the info on WikiLeaks is detrimental to the well-being and effectiveness of our troops stationed in combat zones...I say this as one of them!

Frankly all the saber-rattling between North & South Korea has me more worried than what fall-out may affect the troops as a result of WikiGate.

I don't believe that government is right. If you don't disagree with the government, you're one of the special interests groups that is busy eroding MY rights and the rights of my children.

As to this Assange guy, I don't have to like him, but since when does opinion count for stringing a guy up? That's pretty reactionary and sounds like something the old-guard would propose...just like they did with "colored" folks who didn't know their place, and strangers who stuck their noses in where it wasn't welcome. How about some facts before we execute this guy in the court of public opinion? Assassinate a guy's character all you want, but ignore truth & fact?

Assange isn't the guy you should be angry with...it's the knuckleheads that you guys helped put in power, either directly with votes & financial contributions, or indirectly with apathy & a good gloss-over of THEIR personal failings.

I may not want Assange as a leader, but I don't mind him as an attention-whore spreading the truth.

Whether this was a calculated act by the gov to disseminate mis-information or not, my experience with the gov is that if they start threatening legal action...they are busy putting out fires, not wagging the dog. This seems legit.

Having spent quite a bit of time in the military and dealing with classified info, the shocker to me is how one PFC has access to all this data and can download and transmit without detection.

Really? That's what surprises you...not that much of this "classified" data was stored where it was, or that it was classified simply to protect those pulling strings?

In my mind there has to be multiple sources and I suspect we'll never know how much was intentionally leaked. The little dirtbag may just end up as the fall guy.

Shitty that a know-nothing private (who managed to sneak this past all those know-it-all officers and non-coms) would wind up as the fall guy...they didn't have any lieutenant colonels to be the patsy this time? :rolleyes:

Given the disclosures about Iran, China, and the nut job in N. Korea, they serve as an interesting leverage point.
To me the previous disclosures were far worse. I also don't support the absurd notion that disclosing named sources and operational/tactical intelligence thereby putting lives at risk serves some sort of higher journalistic or whistleblower purpose.

So let me get this straight...outing Valerie Plame as political retribution was OK...but outing all these sources who are placing our country in unnecessary danger due to their manipulations, isn't OK?

What exactly do you want this world to end up like? These Machiavellian machinations are just as bad as anything going on in all these despot-nations we claim to despise...but you're ok with that?

Unfortunately, most whistleblowers don't do it for the greater good, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Yes Al, it is a shame...but then again all of the "good" that has come out of the last 10,000 years wasn't done for the greater good either, instead as a result of the dream of fame, fortune & the desire to one-up somebody (anybody, everybody) else.

Fire
Agriculture
The Wheel
Helio-centric theory
Discovering the Americas
Theory of Evolution
Electricity
Light Bulbs
Computers
Gasoline
Antibiotics
Plastics

The list can go on & on...in the end it all benefits us, but it was only done because someone wanted to be famous, rich or show off. Thank god for that self-interest gene!

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
The problem with this bloke is he was not selective with what he leaked.
Tim I agree with much of what you say but if you had a son or daughter in the Military I'm sure you would think a little differently.

Back