Ferrari driving simulator

Ron Earp

Admin
Naw man, you're wrong there. All Ferrari owners are Flat Out. So much so that when they have their track days at the local tracks they won't let any other marquee car come an attend. Probably because only F-car drivers can handle the rigorous driving program and have the skillz necessary to drive, oh, I mean pilot, a Ferrari around the track.

Does it just simulate driving back and forth from the nine car garage in the gated suburb to the golf club and back?

Don't be silly Ron... The clubs will be following in the butlers car :)

The graphics look five years out of date, And If I race Alonso, do I win a bigger watch if I win?

Or even worse, do I win his personality :(

I saw a F1 simulator with 3 screens, hydraulically actuated seat, peddles, steering wheel, ect. I thought it was on a forum thread, but can't find it. Help!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The Ferrari Driving Simulator is not the same as the Ferrari Ownership Simulator. The Ferrari Ownership Simulator features the following:

-all your credit cards are instantly maxed out by repair bills.
-your garage floor is covered with a selection of Ferrari vital fluids- motor oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, antifreeze, your blood from barking your knuckles trying to see where they all came from.
-you open the glove box door of the Ferrari and find the keys to a Toyota truck that someone put in there so you'd have something to drive while your Ferrari is being fixed, which is constantly.
-your wife locks the bedroom door and leaves a note on the living room sofa telling you to sleep with the Ferrari since you love it so much. You pitch a cot in your garage. There's lots of room, since the Ferrari (as usual) is at the service garage plotting its next frontal assault on your bank account. You now have to wire money for repairs since your credit cards are maxed out and you can't charge any more on them.
-the garage calls and asks you to come out and test drive your Ferrari as they have finished repairing it. You do so, and the car breaks down and strands you (as usual) by the side of the road. While you are waiting for a rollback, the following happens:

-your wife calls you and tells you she is leaving you.
-your cute secretary drives past in a Porsche
-your neighbor's kid drives past and waves.

Oh- your neighbor's kid is driving an SPF GT40. He built it himself from a roller. He built the engine in high school shop class. The entire car cost approximately one third of what you spent to buy a Ferrari. He has four thousand deliriously happy miles on his car and an invitation to several local car shows.

You have fifteen hundred miles on the Ferrari. The car has traveled at least that far on rollbacks. You have no money. You have no wife. Your boss is mad at your because you are gone from work all the time, or you don't show up because you are driving your Ferrari.

But, hey- you are a Ferrari owner. Good for you.....

No, that's not the one, but it is really something! The one I saw was a pricey home unit with three large screens, all the gauges, peddles, steering wheel with paddle shift, sound, and a Sparco type race seat with belts and hydraulic actuators on the back and bottom of the seat. Somewhere in the $40k range. It was very realistic, but for that much it should be.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I HAD a Ferrari Mondial "t" cabriolet, Pete. I sold it several years ago to some plastic surgeon from Miami who bought it through an on-line ad by Michael Sheehan, the best damn Ferrari broker on the planet. The car was thoroughly surveyed before purchase and the buyer knew exactly what he was getting- reasonable price, no comebacks, no surprises. I bought a Kirkham Cobra with the money from the Ferrari- a worthwhile change, I felt. I was glad to see it leave.And when someone asked me what it had been like to own a Ferrari, I told them this;

What is it like to own and drive a Ferrari? It's like having a beautiful Italian girlfriend.

You meet a stunning Italian woman, you hit it off, you begin dating her. Shortly you are in the sack with her, doing things to each other that you've only ever heard about. The first week of the affair, you are in heaven- she cooks magnificent meals for you, the two of you make love all the time, she sends you hot messages at work, you take her out and show her off, you feel you are the luckiest man in the world.

On the first day of the second week, you come home and her entire family (mother, cousins, brothers, sisters, etc) have moved into your house. Her mother looks vaguely like her, except thirty years older, three hundred times as loud, and three thousand pounds heavier. They eat all your food, argue and yell all the time, make the place a pigsty, and take up all her time so you never are alone with her. You complain about all this to her, whereupon she locks you out of the bedroom, banishing you to the couch, spends all her time complaining about you, etc, to her family, and her mother tells you you are no good because you have broken her daughter's heart. Who, by the way, is having her period and how dare you want to make love at such a time. This in front of all her relatives who decide you are lower than low.

This all goes on for a total of three weeks. You are a wreck. You are miserable, you are eating takeout, and the last day of the three weeks you fly into a rage seeing anything Italian because it reminds you of your current predicament. Seeing a Ronzoni commercial on TV makes you want to go postal and kill a lot of people, preferably Italians, but anyone will do. You come home from work in a fury, having decided to banish your Italian sweetheart and her relatives, and you fly in the door of your house, to find.......

...her family is gone. The place is cleaned up- at least you think it is, because the lights are turned down, the aroma of amazing Italian cooking fills the house, music is on the stereo, and your Italian girlfriend is curled up on the sofa with a bottle of wine she's just opened, smiling at you. She is wearing about three square inches of something, certainly no more than that. You want to ask what happened, but you are quickly transported to a state of bliss and exhaustion that you dimly recall from about a month ago. You wonder exactly how "just sex" can produce such simultaneous feelings of pleasure, fatigue and dehydration.

This goes on for a week. On the eighth day, you come home holding two dozen roses (one for each orgasm she's awarded you in the last twenty-four hours), you open the front door, and there's her mother and all her family again.

This rotating cycle of enjoyment and misery continue for several months. You finally throw them all out, realizing that you can have nearly as good sex (and four weeks a month, too!) with plenty of other women who will NOT move their families in, throw stuff at you, throw fits at no provocation, throw your money away, and throw you into despair for three-quarters of your time.

Owning a Ferrari is like dating that woman. I've been there, done them both, and got the T shirts. On the day that I blow the doors off a Ferrari with my GT40, I will have gotten a third T-shirt that I am going to enjoy a lot more than the first two.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Jim that is classic, would you mind if I posted it on another forum?
I'll give you the credits.
I know what you mean, I currently own a 355 F1 Berlinetta, and the love affair is still strong after five years, but she has thrown things at me and invited her mother in a couple of times... Only Italians would make a car that every three years has to have the cam belts changed and that means removing the engine:furious:
But she can cook!:heart:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Pete, go right ahead. You can post it wherever you wish, and I'm happy to claim them both as my own, so no one will blame you. I did write them- I loved the idea of owning a Ferrari but the actual experience was less than stellar, shall we say.

If I had ought a 328 things might have been different. The Mondial and its cousin the 348 were cars with issues, to be charitable. But the whole cam-belt engine-out thing makes me sick, and frankly the only one that I'd go through all that again for would be either a 365BB or a 512BB- the carbureted ones. And periodically I'd kick myself all over again.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
One of the great pleasures of being a motoring enthusiast has been writing things on forums such as this one. I also subscribe to Sports Car Market, a brilliant journal for hopeless addicts in this hobby. They have been kind enough to publish several of my letters- I attribute this kindness either to pitying me or to a lack of available high-quality hard copy in their "Letters" section. I also got a letter or two published in OCTANE, which to me is better than getting in the New Yorker. For those who haven't read either of those journals, may I recommend them to you, especially in this time of the year when the days become short and the weather cold? For winter pleasures, nothing beats curling up by the fire with a book or journal about cars, and dreaming of sunnier days and warmer weather to come.

Jim,

A great post. I think that everyone on here can appreciate your sentiments, I cetainly can.

All we need now are the one's from guys on here who have never had their '40 break down, or their Cobra for that matter. You know the one, where fuel leaked here or a fuse blew there, or it wasn't stuck in the garage while the quad Webbers were sorted out...

Rose tinted glasses anyone? ;)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Oh, I think all of these toys get their temper up now and then. What infuriated me about the Ferrari was that it could manage to break even when it hadn't been driven. Like the time I left it in the my garage for a week or two and came back and found all the fluid for the brakes and hydraulic clutch in a pool on the floor, with no resistance left in the pedals. $2000. Or the time one of the catalyst ECUs malfunctioned- two or three trips to the Ferrari garage and THEN a trip to the dealer, since Ferrari won't allow the independents to have the software to diagnose the EFI system and its peripherals, or the time the main circuit panel melted, and had to be replaced, or the time the AC leaked and we had to order an entire AC unit from Maranello, which took months to get and TWO disassemblys of the entire dash of the car to put in, or the three alternators it ate, etc etc etc etc

It was fun to drive- the problem was that after all those breakdowns, I was always apprehensive about taking it anywhere of any distance, figuring I would come home on a rollback. Despite all that, I did drive it 15K miles over seven or so years, and finally sold it when it was facing a 12-15K major service bill, requiring the steering rack to be replaced (come on!) and the rear window regulators replaced for the second or third time. I just got fed up- at that point, I didn't like the car, I could hardly trust it, and if I spent 12-15K it would make the car easier to sell, maybe, but not worth any more that it was at that point.

I wish the owner after me well. If the Mondial had been built by Toyota instead of Ferrari, or Honda, he'd have something. As it was, it was a POS and I am glad not to have it. As far as my fellow tifosi, as they call themselves, well....I like the folks in the Mini Cooper club a lot better. More my types.

Jim, that was poetry. i have friends who have had Mondial cabriolets (so accurate) and plenty of other experience with Ferraris. You have distilled the experience.

Back