F1 in 2012.

Keith

Pete,

In 2013 1600cc. It's not Formula 1 any more, more like F3 or Formula Atantic. Indy cars will have more power.
Dave

They were squeezing at least 750 hp per litre in the original turbo era
(1.5 litre) and have already stated that the new engine formula will deliver at least the same power as the 2010 season i.e. around 720-750 hp.

Apart from the sound which is a bit more user friendly IMO the technical challenges involved with these kind of motors are far more interesting than N/A's.

At this level, an N/A motor has nothing left to give - forced induction is the only way forward and now they have the computer tech to make sure the kettles don't boil over!

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
In my opinion, the various forms of racing (even drag racing!) have their good and bad points - plenty of people think NASCAR sucks too!

Keith,
I can't see 720HP out of 1600cc engine even with forced induction and variable valve timing @12,000 RPM even on pure ethenol. 450-500 HP max. Even then how long will they last. Cosworth building these engines, I'm sure Ferrari would want to do their own. found this and they will be turboed.
Dave

F1 ENGINE RULES FROM 2013
1.6-litre, four-cylinder turbos with energy recovery and fuel restrictions to replace current 2.4-litre normally aspirated V8s
Fuel efficiency to increase by a target of 50%
Overall power to remain same at approx 750bhp
Checks and balances to ensure costs are contained and performance across all engines remains comparable
Plan for advanced 'compound' turbos to be introduced in subsequent years
Power of Kers energy recovery systems to increase from 60kw in 2011 to 120kw in 2013
It is understood that a series of checks and balances have been written into the regulations to keep costs down and to ensure it should be impossible for one manufacturer to steal a march on the others in terms of performance.

Keith

Whoa.... Just read the engine proposals again and it doesn't mention 'forced induction' at all but quote: "high pressure direct injection at 500 BAR" unquote.

If so, I have no understanding how this could work......

Anyone?:huh:

Keith & Pete,

Doing a bit more reading on the new engine rules. It will be possible to hit the 700HP mark with turbos at 2-3 Bar of boost @12,000 RPM. Still to maintain peak HP the engine has to be reving all the time to keep the turbo spooling lag time down down. Seem's to have generated alot of interest with manufacturer's. Don't be surprised if BMW comes back as a engine supplier. Here is some reading for you also.
Dave
FOTA discusses 2013 engine rules as Porsche indicates interest in F1 : James Allen on F1 – The official website

Keith

That's the point I was trying to make... they never said anything about FORCED INDUCTION (turbo) just high pressure (500 BAR) direct fuel injection, so I ask again.. please, How would that work? To force fuel under 7,250 psi into an Otto cycle, one would assume you would have to have air to match for your suck squeeze bang blow. Without a turbo, how would this be achieved? If I am asking a stupid question, please say so.

This is part of the Global Racing Engine initiative. Expect these engines in various guises to appear in different forms of motor sport.

AUTO-RACING - INDYCAR: Inside The Global Racing Engine -

I for one will love to see the turbo's back as a kid I got to see them in 1980's
I might be wrong the RA167E was from 85 and then the RA168E from 86.
Again I may be wrong but from memory the turbos were killed due to Ferrari crying and threataning to take their toy home?

750kw = omfg bhp

http://www.zzw30.com/HondaRA168EEngine.pdf

Back