Looking ahead to 2011 (Burning Man)

Now that I'm squarely in middle age, as each New Year approaches I tend to start thinking about how I want to make the most of the upcoming year and the opportunities for living life fully that may come along (or that I can engineer).

I've always wanted to take the GT40 on a long desert drive. Have done it in the past in a range rover, a suburban, even a VW bug. Now I'd like to do it in my GT40. My plan is to take about a week and and drive from my place in Seattle into Nevada and Arizona. I'm also going to time it with this funky little event called Burning Man that takes place in Northern NV around August (The Burning Man Project :: Welcome Home). It's funky and hippy and all that but an interesting experience.

But, driving the GT40 right to Burning Man isn't recommended. So, my thought is to rent an RV somewhere in Nevada and drive to Burning Man from there and hang out for a few days with a couple friends.

Anybody have a mid-size RV they want to rent out? Or, come experience Burning Man? I'm a responsible guy, the rig will be sympathetically driven and well taken care of, washed and cleaned afterwards. Happy to pay a good rental fee for it...and you can take my GT40 for a spin or two or three while the RV is being used (responsible GT40s.com forum guys please). Any ideas or inquiries appreciated - thanks!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I went in either 2002 or 2001. Lots of naked people. Some of them shouldn't be naked. Cool art stuff. Pretty amazing that this city (it was 30k people when I was there) pops up in the Black Rock desert with NOTHING within 100 miles.

Note that RVs are prevalent (I went in one) but frowned on by true Burners. I would not take the Gt40 anywhere near this place. Sandstorms, sand blasting and people on drugs who don't like expensive cars all there.

PM if you want more of the X/R rated version. No money is allowed in either, so you will need some tradeable items.

I'm glad I went. Worth seeing.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Sure, but low value. Booze, drugs, food, and (directly contrary to the fact RVs are frowned on) time in an air conditioned place all highly valued.

Wife only highly valued if she is willing to have public sex with strangers dressed (or not dressed) like Mad Max characters.

So I owe it to elaborate a little bit....yes. While I am a hard core motorhead junkie, I also am a fan of art and diversity in all its varied forms. I like cheap beer and AC/DC....I also like good wine and classical music. Burning Man is part of a lifelong study of human nature really....even if it (unfortunately) includes having to look at naked people who really would look much better fully clothed.

I have a couple of gear head guy friends who go regularly and they've said that if you go in the right frame of mind it can be quite an experience. At my ripe old age I don't really feel like sleeping in a pup tent for a week...I'm a pretty clean and civilized guy....so, while it's frowned upon, an RV is more my speed.

So, if there's anyone on the forum here located in or around Nevada that wants to rent out their RV for a good price then please let me know! Thank you!

Cliff Go the full route and get a hippy bus as an RV. My wife wanted to go camping but like you a tent is not my style. I picked this gem up for 10,500. It's a 1964 Flxible (former Trailways)

IMG_1904.jpg

Back