Gran Turismo 5

I realise this won't be for everybody but...

The kids gave me GT5 for Christmas. We've looked forward to playing this game for YEARS through all of its delays. We bought a first generation PS3 in anticipation of its imminent release...

It seems to play ok so far but I am HUGELY disappointed with the sound, yet again!
Have these guys never heard an engine, especially a big American V8? Seriously disappointing...
GT3 and 4 were both renowned for their appalling audio so I thought some real effort would have been put into it this time - wrong.

If you have this game try the 427 Cobra out, you'll be amazed... and not in a good way.
I guess the F40 doesnt sound too bad once the revs get up a bit but why can't they get a big V8 even close?

As far as the graphics go it looks very similar to GT4, clearer with much greater distance detail but it leans a little towards the cartoony now IMO.

Driving realism seems much of a muchness with the older games so far.

Be prepared for a large update if connected to the internet - 680MB, not bad for a game only just released... (Australia)

BTW those old Cammer Mustangs were seriously fast if this game is to be believed!

Playing through a pretty decent home theatre system so I think I am being fair.

Hopefully there are a lot of improvements I have yet to find in this game, apart from the crash damage, otherwise I'm wondering what I've been waiting for...

Tim.

Tim, as a point of reference go and see one of the blogs on Autocar. I found it very interesting how the founder of GR used in to train for the Ring 24 hour. My mate who goes their 3-4 times a year says its pretty realistic, and he works in dynamics where I work.

Still have not bought it myself, as it would mean I would do even less work on building the car (if that was possible)

Brett

With all the work thats gone into the physical and visual environment it's just a shame the car sounds were done by a deaf bloke...

Tim

I got it too. Not been allowed near the PS3 yet though.
I saw on Ebay that one guy is actually selling P1076. Apparantly you need 20,000,000 credits to unlock it.

Martin

The original GranTurismo was an amazing game, but this new one is a disgrace. Ive been told of many many problems. For example you cannot play online due to server problems and Sony say to turn off the internet connection to prevent problems during play! Its why the 360 wins every time, Forza 3 rocks in all the right ways.

But then Ive not been racing for some time, been having way too much fun with an MG4 on CoD:MW2 ;) And now ive got CoD:black ops and MedalOfHonour to keep me warm on these cold evenings!!

ATB, Ben

The original GranTurismo was an amazing game, but this new one is a disgrace. Ive been told of many many problems. For example you cannot play online due to server problems and Sony say to turn off the internet connection to prevent problems during play! Its why the 360 wins every time, Forza 3 rocks in all the right ways.

But then Ive not been racing for some time, been having way too much fun with an MG4 on CoD:MW2 ;) And now ive got CoD:black ops and MedalOfHonour to keep me warm on these cold evenings!!

ATB, Ben

Ben, I'm so sad, I've already prestige'd once on Black Ops...top game!

I'll have to try it out anyway, but is this new Gran Turismo really 3d optional?

I did the prestige thing three times already playing mostly "free for all" on hardcore. I was ranked #96 in the world on "free for all" when World at War was the thing back then

Outside of the old mustang, are the American cars still shitty as hell in the game? I always noticed with all of the Grand Turismo games, they always made American cars really crappy. For instance, the Corvette handled like shit and had terrible brakes. The Shelby Cobra was another one of those cars. The Camaro? forget about that completely! I guess the Japanese are too proud to make those cars any good!

I'll have to try it out anyway, but is this new Gran Turismo really 3d optional?

I did the prestige thing three times already playing mostly "free for all" on hardcore. I was ranked #96 in the world on "free for all" when World at War was the thing back then

Same as that, Prestiged four times (if my memory serves me), but I was never as good as 96th...World at War was a better game that Black Ops IMO... and yes, you are BADASS :thumbsup:

I love GT!!!

Need more time to get more credits.
P1076 is indeed almost 20.000.000, I'm just at about 350.000.
This must be to let it feel realistic (the P1076 or similar just about out of reach)

But the game is excellent, especially using a Playseat and Logitec G25!

Back