Americas Cup

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
We Bay Area sailers have just received a great New Years presant!

They have announced that the 34th Americas Cup will be held on San Francisco Bay.

I have been a great AC fan since the late 1950's and have followed all the challanges since.

I was lucky enough to go to Newport in 1974 and watch Courageous, 12 US-26 win over The Southern Cross. Great days!

We are all looking forward to this campaign, its sounds like they will race in the bay, along the City front. It should be a great spectical!:)

I saw the start of the Volvo Ocean Race out of Auckland, and also the last race of the America's cup in Auckland too.

Having the race in SF Bay will be quite challenging. Lots of large ship traffic, and heavy currents will make local knowledge a necessity.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,

That Volvo race was really something, incredably fast boats. I can't wait for the next one! Several months of TV coverage, good stuff!

As for the Cup on the Bay, you are right, there should be many challenges, particularly the Louis Veton sail offs (many, many races).

The currents and local knowlege may be useful in the begining but the long lead-up (time to learn) and very fast cats may offset the current issues.

Anyway, it will be great fun:)

I lost my enthusiasm for the America's Cup because I lived in the same city as Dennis Conner. What a jerk THAT guy was. He called himself an athlete but he doesn't even know how to swim.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
John,

I'll admit that Mr Conner was kind of an odd guy. But he sailed on four Cup winners.

Additionally, he won a bronze Olympic Medal in the Tempest and two Star World Championships (an Olympic class)!

I have sailed a star, believe me, he is-was an athlete.

Other things on resume

1987 ABC Wide World of sports Athlete of the Year!

Two Whitbread (Volvo) round the world races.

Last edited:
DC seems like somewhat of an egotist but, hey, he's a phenomenally successful sailor and has the results. Some of his books are excellent - Sail to Win is good. He also wrote a basic business book focusing on competitive strength and basic business principles which was good as well. Not many people know that he made a fair amount of money in the carpet business in parallel to his sailing endeavors.

Jim, I've lost touch with the AC competition over the last few years - got tired of it when it seemed like much of the winning and losing was being done in a court room rather than on the water. Frankly, I think guys like Larry E and other billionaire type participants with large legal teams really detract from the sport. The quest to win at all costs (including on land, in court rooms) just isn't very sporting nor much fun for fans. Will the racing in SF be done in accordance with the old monohull rules and configuration, or in cats??

Congratulations by the way - SF is a fantastic venue for AC competition. Great winds, some waves, easy spectation, avid sailing community. Just doesn't get any better!

Well, I DO have to give him credit for his proficiency and success as a yachtsman. But I think his skill in that regard is outclassed by his lack of grace. If only he was a likable chap.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Cliff,

DC was a very successful sailer, but as I understand it kind of hard to like.

Cliff, I to have become disillusioned with AC. It's been a long time since the great days in Australia/NZ. The rich jerk owners and court issues have almost killed the Cup.

I was very much hoping that they would go with Volvo type boats, they go like 80' 505's.

But it really looks like it's going to be big cats, wing sails?

But Cliff, I love the AC history and I do not think this is new. The Vanderbelts, Sopwiths, Liptons of old would have given Larry a run for his money on the water and in court.

Although it's nothing like when I was young, I'm very excited about the Cup on the Bay, real tough sailing, right downtown!.

Last edited:
Should be a challenging venue. I got to race one time out of the bay for the start of the Pacific Cup to Hawaii and I recall it was pretty rough.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Doc,

As anyone who as spent time in SF knows, sailing on the Bay in the summer is serious sailing! Big wind, big waves, big cold and they do not call it "fog city" for nothing.

These Cup races should be very exciting. I think we will see serious equipment failure, but at least we will have a good view of the carnage.

Don't forget your foul weather gear!

Doc when did you do the PacCup?

Last edited:
I am a sailor from when I was young. Grew up in Seattle, sailed on bigger boats and also co owned a J24 named (appropriately) "Self Abuse". Did the Vic-Maui in 1980, moved to the Bay Area in 1983 and continued sailing. But fell out of it some time ago due to business and discovering I had another life....but I am still an enthusiast..

Anyway, IMHO the America's Cup is more about money than anything else, and to me it has lost all touch or even trickle-down effect to the average Joe like myself. It will be interesting to watch on TV (perhaps once) but I doubt I will be watching it live, and I'm only 30 or 40 minutes away from the bay...

Jim,

Waaaaay back when in 1986! Raced to Nawilliwilli Harbor on Kauai. We were 2nd overall on "Okolehau" and the other boat from Portland Oregon, "Magic Carpet" was first overall (hee hee...beat you California boys....).

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Doc,

I bet that was fun, I hear once you get clear of The Gate, its a pretty good sail, mostly reaching. But I have heard the sail back is very tough! Did you go both ways?

Rick,

I know what you mean about the Cup and money, but I just can't help it, when they near that first cross I am one excited kid!

As far as watching from shore, I will probably go a few times as I have some St Francis friends, but the racing is probably better on TV.

In 1974 when I went to Newport, we spent all day bobbing around Marthas Vinyard watching little white sails on the horizon. The 12s were beautiful but it was kind of like watching the grass grow.

Last edited:
I hear you Jim. Yes, certainly the vanderbilts and such of old fit within the same mold as Larry, however, there was a higher level of sportsmanship, and a lower level of on-land legal disputes back in the day (at least that seems to be the written history based upon my reading).

The big cats certainly are exciting to watch, although they lack the grace of the old 12s. For promotional reasons they may run some short courses right on the waterfront there - that would be great to see, and more exciting than the long course (at least for the people on the shoreline). Somehow, however, I think somethig has been lost with the big cats. The finess and precision of the old 12s was amazing, and the tactics were daring and bold in execution. A lee-bow on a 12 with the boats ending up 10 feet apart and drag racing is pretty impressive to watch. Jibe sets on the windward mark with a 15 knot spin run is also a visual treat. I just don't think the on-water action is going to be as good, despite the average STW/SOG probably going up a good 50-75%.

I'll definitely be watching though!

Heck no Jim!

We had a second crew of foolish youths transport the boat back. We were all past and current Commodores of Corinthian Yacht Club of Portland.....too experienced to know what the trip back was going to be like. :thumbsup:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Cliff,

I totally agree, the 12s were ponderous, but I'm afraid the low motion chess match (those great starts) will be lost with the hard to manuver cats.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Why don't they change it to ausi 18 foot skiffs?

I recon they are the hardest things to sail and you get no computer add ons - all comes down to the skill of the crew
Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Ian,

I totally agree, an Ausi 18's series would be great, incredable spectacle, great viewing. They should bring them back to the bay.

But my feeling is that the Cup has always been (except for the occasional oddity) for big mono-hulls. Big yachts, big crews, big bucks, big egos. Call me old fashion (among other things) but I would love to see the Cup raced in big mono-hulls like the Volvo boats.

Videos for volvo ocean race<TABLE style="MARGIN-TOP: 2px" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top width=290>
<TABLE style="WIDTH: auto" class=ts><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 8px; PADDING-TOP: 7px" vAlign=top>

<TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 10px; PADDING-TOP: 5px" vAlign=top>Volvo Ocean Race<BUTTON class=vspib type=submit></BUTTON>
<NOBR>2 min</NOBR> - <NOBR>May 3, 2006</NOBR>
Uploaded by g4reth
<CITE>youtube.com</CITE>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Alas, its not my call.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
frisco%20rules.jpg

This was shown at the most recent press conference, great venue, I hope they can make this work!

Back