Tucson

just terrible news. I doubt the perp could have done as much damage with a knife...a nine year old girl killed along with the others is simply appalling.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This is just so sad, I really do not want to start a big fight, it does no good.

These are the types of things that you need to be ready to accept along with your 2nd Amendment rights.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
This is starting to look like more than just a nut with an automatic weapon!

"News on Google"

While many of the details of the shooting are yet to be known, many people have already drawn a somewhat disturbing connection between the alleged gunmen and politician Sarah Palin.

In March 2010, Palin put up a map of America on her website. The map says in capital letters, "It's time to take a stand." It then has several 'targets', all marked with rifle crosshairs. One of the rifle targets is positioned at Tucson with Rep. Gabrielle Giffords' name next to it. The map can be viewed here.

After Palin released her target list, many criticized her, claiming that she was using violence to promote her message. Sarah Palin denied this, however, several members of congress began receiving threats. Gabrielle Giffords was among these.

Some of the most serious threats against Congresswomen Gabrielle Giffords included an incident where vandals shot the glass out of her office in Tucson, and when a man dropped a handgun while at a town hall meeting.

The threats weren't just physical though. Congresswomen Gabrielle Giffords also received many email threats, and even death threats during her campaign, before eventually winning reelection in 2010.

If Palin's target list isn't disturbing enough, Palin also released a campaign message in June of 2010, saying "Get on Target for Victory in November. Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly"

In a recent Twitter update, Palin also told her supporters, "Don't Retreat, Instead - RELOAD!'"

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Jim, let's let this one lie. Too much emotion tied up in it. I disagree with what Palin did with that website, but I don't think she wanted this to be the result.

No one, either side, did. Let's remember the victims and let teh "who caused it" go. Who caused it was a sadly crazed kid with a gun.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff

You may be right, but all this talk about 2nd Amendment solutions........

Additionally, after the shooting, Palin removed all the "target, reload, and gun sight" crap from her web sight.

Feeling guilty?

Jim, they were targets for the election, not to kill. This is bad enough without this garbage. The shooter is some isolated nutcase.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Jim,
So what you want to do, shoot Palin?
I'm sure this will haunt her for the rest of her career.
We are all aware that she is " off centre ".
My and your thoughts should be with those who have lost
their family members before their time.
I know that feeling with immediate family members.
It still hurts, every day.

Keith

No words.... :uneasy:

Apart from the fact that the little girl that died was born on September 11th 2001...

What a day THAT will be for her parents :(

Last edited:

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have been incommunicado for three days, and only just caught up with what happened. So sad, for all the families involved including the shooter's. Lets not try to politicize this tragedy, I doubt Palin's website had anything to do with this, a deranged mind will latch onto anything to justify his/her actions. In the end it is their responsibility, they pulled the trigger, set off the I.E.D., flew the plane into the towers, stop trying to blame the rest of the world, it is the perpetrator's responsibility.
Fuck him.

The thing about Palin is that she appeals to the mentality of someone who would do something like that and she purposely uses that appeal to bring those types of people to her camp.

What a horrible tragedy. And, from the looks of things, nobody to sue!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
I'm not sure I could dislike someone less than Sarah Palin, but I'm impressed with the fact that she apparently immediately took down the targets and reload language from her website.

The thing about Palin is that she appeals to the mentality of someone who would do something like that and she purposely uses that appeal to bring those types of people to her camp.

What a horrible tragedy. And, from the looks of things, nobody to sue!

The web stuff this guy was into had nothing to do with Palin, and if the people she appeals to were all like this we'd be in a world of shit. Nobody to sue? Are you a chaser of ambulances? Is this the first thing that pops into ones mind? People are DEAD!

It was a joke, Al. There has to be a bit of humor in everything or life will turn down the corners of one's mouth. As for a lawsuit, this is, after all, America. As Americans, we LIKE to search out others to take responsibility for things that happen to us.

But that's another subject entirely.

I can fully empathize with the families of those who were killed or injured during the shooting even though I can't imagine what they're going through. I'm sure everyone who heard the shots from a distance, and even a vast number of Tucson's citizens wherever they live, are in a state of shock because the incident happened in your city. It was close to home.

If you were offended by the blackness of my humor, Al, I apologize. I'm sorry I added to the discomfort you obviously feel over this. Please forgive me.

-John

It was a joke, Al. There has to be a bit of humor in everything or life will turn down the corners of one's mouth. As for a lawsuit, this is, after all, America. As Americans, we LIKE to search out others to take responsibility for things that happen to us.

But that's another subject entirely.

I can fully empathize with the families of those who were killed or injured during the shooting even though I can't imagine what they're going through. I'm sure everyone who heard the shots from a distance, and even a vast number of Tucson's citizens wherever they live, are in a state of shock because the incident happened in your city. It was close to home.

If you were offended by the blackness of my humor, Al, I apologize. I'm sorry I added to the discomfort you obviously feel over this. Please forgive me.

-John

John,

Black humour is a constant over here in the UK. I actually agree with you. If we can't find irreverence in the most awful things, then life WILL turn down the corners of our mouths as you so eloquently put it.

Maybe we are just more used to it over here...and don't worry, you certainly didn't offend me.
Anyway, back to the issue in hand. Keith, I also heard today that the poor girl was born on 9/11. How simply awful. For once I am lost for words.

Graham.

Last edited:
It's a shame we need to filter everything we say when in the public arena. Palin (not that I am a supporter) has a unique way of speaking - sort of 'guy' like, guns, targets, no retreat, self reliance. But then some nutjob does somethig like this and all will try to make connections to who said what in public.

So sad in many ways

Back