One of the scariest things I've ever seen

Simon,
That is the FIRST video I have ever seen that I could not watch (past the first minute)!
I must be getting old.
Those guys deserve a medal !!!!

:stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned::stunned:

Started watching, thought "what's the big deal?".
Carried on watching some more, then shut it off quick. It was making me feel dizzy and sick! LOL

Ron Earp

Admin
Uggh. I think I could do it if I had to or was forced, but I wouldn't like it. I always wondered what it would look like from those towers I'm always on the look out for while I'm flying.

The heighest I've been is to the very top obs platform of the CN Tower and it was great. No sense of Vertigo whatsoever. My friend though, couldn't get out of the lift!

Neat seeing planes flying over the city at a lower altitude than where you're standing.

I work for a telecommunications company , I am not allowed to mention their name without permission . And the highest I've ever had to climb a pole was 60' at a span over a railway crossing , on hooks .
And when I was younger I worked for RAM Erection (their slogan was happiness is a good erection) . We normally built the mono-rail type crane for Liebherr Cranes . I worked half a day , while waiting for our equipment to show up , erecting one of those cranes for building skyscrapers . We got to the 5th or 6th floor level before we left , which was far enough for me !

I can't imagine climbing that high , I had a hard time watching too !

Kevin Box

Supporter
Interesting video

As one who designs Radio towers the guys who designed this telecommunications tower are still draging their knuckles
There is a lot safer and better ways to design this sort of tower.(or more correctly monopoles)

My comment does not detract from the skill of the climbers. However it is very rare that you you actually inspect the the lightnening spike on the top. As you will have noticed they climbed past the highest antenna and past the lighting beacon to show how brave thy were to stand beside the lightning spike.

KB

climbing up you can see where you are going.

Climbing down, you would/do need to keep leaning away from the mast to find the next foot holds etc which also means almost constantly 'looking down'.

I might make it up but down again....not so sure.

do you think it swayed much? been to obs deck of the BT Tower in london. you could feel movement but not a lot.

I don't think that is a free standing tower. It would have guide wires, even then it would still sway. You would have to pick a good day to do that sort of work. I've been up towers running wave guide but not that high and much younger.
Dave

Back