Amazing Military photos from WWII

Amazing pictures Bill - thank you. We have so much to be thankful for.

One of my favorite WWII quotes:

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few" - Winston Churchill.

Here's a WWII pic I've always been fascinated with. George Bush Sr. being pulled from the water by a passing US sub after being shot down some time earlier.

It's an interesting pic because there's a future US president floating around all by himself out in the Pacific in a little tube when a sub surfaces nearby and happens to see him and pick him up. What if there was a little more wave action that day and he was never seen by that sub? What if that sub didn't surface? The course of US history would have been altered, probably dramatically.

Attachments

• georgebush-rescue.jpg
    georgebush-rescue.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 227
Bill,

Amazing pictures - thanks for posting. Showing war in all it's grizzly unglory. It's striking as to how young all the troops were, and to see dead soldiers on a beach like flotsam and jetsom is just awful.

Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Amazing photographs - some so sad, others so iconic.
Will the lessons of war ever be learned? Probably never

Pete Seegers masterful words:
Where have all the graveyards gone?
Covered with flowers every one
When will we ever learn?

Great and thought provoking pictures! While many in the “free” world carp at the United States, how it pokes its nose into other people’s business and tries to export American values etc., few can argue that despite the shortcomings and blundering, it’s done with the best of intentions. Taking nothing away from the sacrifices of the Brits, Aussies, Kiwis, Canucks et al, the “free” world is free largely due to US muscle and will. There will always be the Hugo Chavez’s, Amadinanutjobs, Kims, Bin Ladens and such. The pacifists who rationalize that we should not ‘fight back’, be proactive or resist these evil influences (or rely completely on the UN and its endless “resolutions” – anyone remember Chamberlain? Peace at any price?) might consider the following poem I found while in South East Asia, author unknown:

“War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight: nothing he cares about more than his own personal safety: is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.”

Amazing pictures Bill - thank you. We have so much to be thankful for.

One of my favorite WWII quotes:

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few" - Winston Churchill.

Here's a WWII pic I've always been fascinated with. George Bush Sr. being pulled from the water by a passing US sub after being shot down some time earlier.

It's an interesting pic because there's a future US president floating around all by himself out in the Pacific in a little tube when a sub surfaces nearby and happens to see him and pick him up. What if there was a little more wave action that day and he was never seen by that sub? What if that sub didn't surface? The course of US history would have been altered, probably dramatically.

Not exactly a coincidence - the USS Finback was out there specifically as a lifeguard to pick up aviators who were shot down, and circling support fighters radioed Former President Bush's position to the USS Finback. Not to detract from the mission itself, or Former President Bush's extreme fortune in surviving.

LTJG George Bush in World War II

Ian

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Thanks Dad (RAN) --who is now with his ship in heaven.
Defending northern Australia, Phillipines , Borneo etc and was in Japan at the end.--- have seen many similar photos from that area and era :thumbsup:

More interesting (to me), if it weren't for a coconut, future president John F. Kennedy might not have been rescued after the destruction of his PT boat.

Back