Space Shuttle Launches

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Actually they did announce last week that one more flight has been added to the schedule. It will be a supply flight for the space station.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Mike. Much obliged. It's a sort of "must see the last ever launch" for me though I can't see how they can put it down and retire it now. All it would take is a hiccup by the Russians and the whole thing grinds to a halt.

STS 131 / Discovery safely down for the last time.
What a record!!!
Hope your flights etc. for STS134 are booked David!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Ron Earp

Admin
I went down to FL two weeks ago to see STS-133 Discovery launch for the final time. Just breathtaking to see.

Two more launches left so you'd best make plans. Discovery had record crowds and to see the launch amounted to an 17 hour day - with no delays on part of the shuttle. Traffic was unbelievable - both in Titusville and at Kennedy. I'd recommend doing a tour, like Dolphin Tours of Florida, and bringing a lot of patience and things to occupy your time whilst on the bus waiting in traffic.

Something I and the family will never forget. My daughter watched the landing just an hour or so ago and was still jazzed up.

R

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
<TABLE style="WIDTH: 22em" class="infobox vevent" cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-SIZE: 125%; FONT-WEIGHT: bold" class=summary colSpan=2>Paul,
I'd like to see this one if possible and my flight from Gatwick will be subload on staff travel. I must remember to wear my purple nylon shell suit travelling through Gatport Airwick. (I'm pleased at least it's not Luton).

STS-135

</TH></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Mission insignia

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Mission statistics</TH></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Mission name</TH><TD>STS-135</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Space shuttle</TH><TD>Atlantis</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Launch pad</TH><TD>39A</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Launch date</TH><TD><ABBR title="No Earlier Than">NET</ABBR> 28 June 2011 15:48 EDT<SUP id=cite_ref-manifestadd_0-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-approved_1-0 class=reference>[2]</SUP></TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Landing</TH><TD>NET 10 July 2011 11:18 EDT</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Mission duration</TH><TD>12 days<SUP id=cite_ref-flight_plan_2-0 class=reference>[3]</SUP></TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Orbital altitude</TH><TD>TBD</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Orbital inclination</TH><TD>51.6 degrees</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Distance traveled</TH><TD>TBD</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Related missions</TH></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%"><TBODY><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 50%">Previous mission</TH><TH style="WIDTH: 50%">Subsequent mission</TH></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">
STS-134

</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">None [Final Mission</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited:

Fantastic film Rick, very interesting. Some time back I saw a similar idea for the Apollo 11 launch and found it here: YouTube - Apollo 11 Saturn V Launch Slow Motion; High Speed Camera E-8

Ref Discovery, that's an historic moment, I remember the first Shuttle launch (Columbia) and the song "Countdown" from Rush sums it up for me "this magic day when super science mingles with the bright stuff of dreams"

You need the speakers cranked up for this one:

YouTube - Rush - Countdown with Shuttle Liftoff

Hope you enjoy

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 22em" class="infobox vevent" cellSpacing=5><TBODY><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; FONT-SIZE: 125%; FONT-WEIGHT: bold" class=summary colSpan=2>Paul,
I'd like to see this one if possible and my flight from Gatwick will be subload on staff travel. I must remember to wear my purple nylon shell suit travelling through Gatport Airwick. (I'm pleased at least it's not Luton).

STS-135

</TH></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Mission insignia

</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Mission statistics</TH></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Mission name</TH><TD>STS-135</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Space shuttle</TH><TD>Atlantis</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Launch pad</TH><TD>39A</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Launch date</TH><TD><ABBR title="No Earlier Than">NET</ABBR> 28 June 2011 15:48 EDT<SUP id=cite_ref-manifestadd_0-0 class=reference>[1]</SUP><SUP id=cite_ref-approved_1-0 class=reference>[2]</SUP></TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Landing</TH><TD>NET 10 July 2011 11:18 EDT</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Mission duration</TH><TD>12 days<SUP id=cite_ref-flight_plan_2-0 class=reference>[3]</SUP></TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Orbital altitude</TH><TD>TBD</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Orbital inclination</TH><TD>51.6 degrees</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: left" scope=row>Distance traveled</TH><TD>TBD</TD></TR><TR><TH style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2>Related missions</TH></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: center" colSpan=2><TABLE style="WIDTH: 100%; BACKGROUND: none transparent scroll repeat 0% 0%"><TBODY><TR><TH style="WIDTH: 50%">Previous mission</TH><TH style="WIDTH: 50%">Subsequent mission</TH></TR><TR><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">
STS-134

</TD><TD style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle">None [Final Mission</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Getting close, July 8th..........................flights booked David?? :huh::huh:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Well, The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men gang aft agley.
I am unable to come over to watch the shuttle launch for a couple
of minor niggling reasons but I do expect to visit the U.S.A. in about
12 to 14 weeks time.
Quelle une pisser......

Back