Modelling Corner: Mike's F-4 E vietnam war

Just rearranged my model gallery and I finished now to place the pics of a model I did 2 yrs ago.
It was a 1/32 Tamiya F-4E based in Korat base.

At the time was too useful for me to have the incredibly nice emails written by our forum member Mike Gaan.I grow up with squadron signal in action manuals, I started learn my english only reading such books, at 10 yrs old, not at school.So for me was incredible to read the adventures of a real pilot as from star wars saga.
He was too kindly and explained me very well the pilot point of view and feeling during that war.He also sent me 3 real pictures dated 1968.The only difference was his plane was actually an F-4c/d and this model is a F-4E.

A great and helpful friend found here inside,really.
This model was one of the nicest I've ever build, sold to a lawer in Milano, loving this plane even more than me builder.

once again....Grazie Mike !
The model is dedicated to you.

AL SOLDATINO MODELLISMO - Phantom F-4E Vietnam, Korat RTAFB 1968

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Great job! Looks like the largest 1/32nd scale I've every seen. I used to be pretty involved in this hobby, but haven't picked up an Exacto knife in 20 years. But I did purchase a 1/96th scale Saturn 5 rocket to put away for the future when I slow down a bit.

Nice build Paolo! I'm a big fan of the F4 Phantom. How long did it take to complete it roughly?

Today would be great day to work on a model here as were supposed to get a foot of snow -again...

Nice build Paolo! I'm a big fan of the F4 Phantom. How long did it take to complete it roughly?

Today would be great day to work on a model here as were supposed to get a foot of snow -again...

it took nearly 2 months to complete it, mostly for the painting and weathering (all in acrylics).The pilot figures were oil painted.
The weapons are a "modeller license" cause in reality they mounted bombs and missiles in a different sequence depending from the season and mission.

The finished model was impressive. I placed it in my showcases for some weeks and all all people loved to see this beast and its diorama.It is very rare to see so big ones build (for prices mostly,tamiya kit is around 200 dollars,Verlinden resin pilots are around 40 dollars).In this hobby those prices are high.

I definitely love too much airplanes,all airplanes, still remember how much I loved the RAF museum in Duxford,and even more when I can be present at airshows....:)

Just I am happy when they commission me planes I like,cause too often I have to build italian planes from Mussolini era:embarassed:... ;)

Back