Unemployment

It is obviously important for everyone to know that I collected unemployment for 8 months when I retired. So, for all of you that missed Mr Youngs mentioning this in threads, I'm here to tell you that I did collect unemployment for 8 months. It was the first and last time in 46 years of employment, self and other. For some reason the last mention was made in the Justice Thomas thread. Although I am happy to be noticed, I wonder why? While no one knows my financial status, or should be privy to that info, I find it strange that Mr Young has such a morbid interest in me. I wonder if he has a map with a telescopic site marking where I live?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Al, no matter how you spell it, some people take issue with those who condemn folks for things they do themselves.

Al, no matter how you spell it, some people take issue with those who condemn folks for things they do themselves.

Like I said Jim, you know nothing about me. And with that I vow to never write anything not concerning cars in this forum, from this day forward.

Al,

Not sure why you felt is necessary to mention it was for 8 months and only once. If an individual is genuinely seeking employment, is entitled to what they are claiming in unemployment, does it matter if it is eight months of eight years, once or 20 times they claim for.

Especially in the current economic climate, 13% of the company I work for find out on Tuesday if they still have jobs.

Pat

Supporter
Yikes, I agree with Nick.
Unemployment is insurance in which you and/or your employer paid premiums for years. Not to take advantage of it is like getting in an accident and letting your insurance company off the hook by paying the damages yourself.

Nick, hopefully you are not of of those affected in the staff reductions.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Al, I absolutely think you were entitled to draw on your unemployment insurance.

It's that second half of my post that I'd ask you to think about -- the one where I ask why you (someone who has benefitted from a government social/safety net program) would be so vitrolic in attacking others who did the same?

Jeff,

throwing out a guess in answer to your last question -

Because that person doesn't want anybody to ever think they didn't work for what they got. They want everyone to think they got there because of hard work intelligence, etc.

Some people will never admit to achieving things by dint of luck, or a helping hand.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Al,

I want you to understand, I have absolutely no problem with you taking unemployment insurance. If you qualify, that is what it's for. As you know I support many but not all programs to help those that need it.

That said the reason people hassle you it that you complain bitterly about others who avail themselves of similar programs.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Al, I was one of those who took you to task for accepting the unemployment, but at the same time I recognized your right to do so. It just seemed to me to be a bit of a double standard to hear you, who has adequate income and didn't need the benefit to survive, frequently denigrate those who are often without income and wouldn't eat without the benefits.

... And with that I vow to never write anything not concerning cars in this forum, from this day forward.

I sincerely hope you will not follow through with this, Al. I, for one, enjoy our vigorous political discussions on the Paddock. I'm a bit unusual b/c I seem to have political opinions that range all the way from "radical conservative" (I think we ought to bring all our troops home from the mid-east and assign them to guard our U.S.-Mexico border, station one every 100 yards or so with fully automatic weapons and orders to shoot first and ask questions later) to liberal (OK, I"ll admit it here...I'd like to see SCJ Thomas removed from office and Bee-OH get a liberal in his place. I just think the liberal vs conservative ratio is not representative of the national proportions and another liberal would make it more representative), so I frequently argue on both sides. I enjoy our spirited discussions here, would equally enjoy a spirited discussion across the bar room table from you and the other participants over a good beer. I would miss your contributions terribly if you were to disappear from our discussions.

I bet VEEK would pay you to stay.....without you for Jim and I to beat around, we'd have to focus more on him......:stunned: (just kiddin, man!).

Seriously, stick around, please!

Cheers from Doug!!

Pat

Supporter
I bet VEEK would pay you to stay.....without you for Jim and I to beat around, we'd have to focus more on him......:stunned: (just kiddin, man!).

Seriously, stick around, please!

Cheers from Doug!!

Al doesn't need any help from anyone, he's doing just fine.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Al doesn't need any help from anyone, he's doing just fine.

No disagreement there....I was more worried about you (reread the post, please) :stunned:

Cheers from Doug!!

Back