Ford -Ferrari wars, again?

Ford sues Ferrari over the use on the F-150 name. Apparently the truck is not fast enough to compete in F-1.

Ford sues Ferrari over the use on the F-150 name. Apparently the truck is not fast enough to compete in F-1.
I'd love to see this go to court. It'd be great to see Ford's lawyer asked which he'd prefer, and see how well (s)he can lie.

This has to be a publicity stunt, although IMO it just makes Ford look *really* stupid.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I'd love to see this go to court. It'd be great to see Ford's lawyer asked which he'd prefer, and see how well (s)he can lie.

This has to be a publicity stunt, although IMO it just makes Ford look *really* stupid.

Actually,
I would bet Ford really does not want to hassle Ferrari, but if you do not defend a trademark, you risk losing it as Ford almost did with the "Cobra" name. If you allow a trademark to be used in your industry and do not take action, it can be seen as abandonment and nest thing you know, you no longer own the trademark!

Besides, if it keeps the OGC (Office of General Counsel, the Ford legal department) busy they may not go after small time abusers of trademarks and trade dress........

Good for Ford.

Rick is exactly right. No doubt the driving force here is risk of abandonment through not pursuing the infringing party. It's a very valid concern and Ford has every right and reason to nail Ferrari for their arrogance, or ignorance.

The ironic thing is that Ferrari is EXTREMELY aggressive in pursuing parties who infringe upon the Ferrari trademarks....to the point they have replica ferraris seized and destroyed against the owner's will. They obviously consider any Ferrari shape a protected asset, not just the logo. No doubt Ferrari has an excellent team of lawyer to do battle with Ford on this one. Thankfully, Ford has been doing well of late economically speaking and therefore has a good amount of resources to throw at a protracted trademark battle.

Go Ford!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Evidently Ferrari already caved; they should know something about trademark protection, they are hyperaggressive about it. I agree with FoMoCo- if you don't protect your trademarks you risk losing them. It hasn't got much to do with anyone mistaking a Ferrari for a Ford pickup truck. I mean, who would want a Ferrari if you could have a Ford truck?

Actually,
I would bet Ford really does not want to hassle Ferrari, but if you do not defend a trademark, you risk losing it as Ford almost did with the "Cobra" name. If you allow a trademark to be used in your industry and do not take action, it can be seen as abandonment and nest thing you know, you no longer own the trademark!

Yes, I do see that, but what they've said is:

"Ferrari has misappropriated the F-150 trademark in naming its new racing vehicle the F150 in order to capitalize on and profit from the substantial goodwill that Ford has developed in the F-150 trademark,"

I doubt that they could say this with a straight face. I know that it's all part of the game, but IMO this is just not credible.

war already finished and name for the new red will be f-150th Italia.
Definitely nicer, also cause the F-150 was famous to take fire alone very easy.

Not true Paul IMO. Little known fact, Renault took Ford to court in Europe when the Maverick was to be renamed to the Escape in the US - it was considered to be to close to Espace - Maverick stuck. I personally can't see this one being finished until Ferrari back down. Myself - I'd like to see them taken down a peg or two.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Yes, I do see that, but what they've said is:

"Ferrari has misappropriated the F-150 trademark in naming its new racing vehicle the F150 in order to capitalize on and profit from the substantial goodwill that Ford has developed in the F-150 trademark,"

I doubt that they could say this with a straight face. I know that it's all part of the game, but IMO this is just not credible.

Well, plus Ford is concerned about negative publicity when a Ferrari F1 DNF's and people think that the "Ford Tough" F150 truck was the DNF!

Straight face? Sure, after all, it was written by a lawyer! (BTW, I can leaglly make lawyer jokes, my #1 son is one)

Back