I think I want one.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Pete, if you want some interesting reading, try the two top "sticky" threads on this Club Cobra forum (both titled "Drag Race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 468 Italia". Start with the locked thread authored by tommygold to get the history behind the top thread authored by one of the moderators, Jamo.

ALL COBRA TALK - Club Cobra

Seems two very high powered egos got into a pissing match.....a very successful lawyer (who practices primarily in front of the supreme court, as I understand it) and a friend who makes his living primarily at the poker tournaments in Las Vegas. Tommy bought an Italia 458, Blitz's girlfriend liked it so much she decided she wanted.....well, you get the idea. Blitz didn't like that, so he challenged Tommy to a drag race. Seems Blitz's Kirkham has a high powered KC FE, but most of the votes seem to be going to the Ferrari (despite the fact that it is a Cobra forum). Quite interesting reading from a bench racing standpoint.

Tommy did post a couple of YouTubes of him running the 458 through the gears on a 1/4 mile dragstrip.....ran in the 11's, IIRC.

Very interesting reading, but very long threads, so be prepared to dedicate some time. The race is set at the Las Vegas Speedway drag strip on March 9, I think, and as you can imagine with such big......um, "egos"........the stakes for the winner are pretty high.

Personally, I don't think the Cobra stands a chance......the 458 is just too much machine :thumbsup: !!

Cheers from Doug!!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
I read this, and it sounds like the terms of the bet are getting fuzzier and fuzzier, with the Ferrari owner trying to game the whole arrangement. Am I mistaken?

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
I think the Cobra owner got the worst end of the deal and the Ferrari owner seems to be attempting to make up for having taken unfair advantage in the beginning. Most recent development--the Cobra owner's "girlfriend" gets to ride in the Ferrari during the 1/4 mile runs. I can see it now, on the last of 3 (or, the ONE the Cobra owner wins), the Ferrari doesn't even stop and return to the pits, leaving the site at supersonic speed with the girlfriend, who seems to have a thing for the Ferrari owner anyway. That's what started the whole spitting match.

BTW, for those of you who haven't taken the time to read the threads, there is some pretty good YouTube footage taken from inside the 458 as the Ferrari owner practiced his technique. He put down some 11 second quarter mile runs, that car is INCREDIBLE and all the Ferrari owner has to do is put in on "automatic" and steer, the Ferrari takes care of the rest.

Cheers from Doug!!

My Moneys on the cobra, the lotus seven i built with a 300hp toyota engine and 6 speed quaif sequential dog box made mince meat of a 430 in a standing start heads up. the red machine only starting making gains once past the 200k mark then we ran out of road.
he was not impressed
cheers John

I dunno, I'd rather drive the car rather than have the car drive me. If I wanted a chauffeur to do my shifting and throttle control and and...I'd buy a Rolls or something and Have some doode named "James" do my driving :)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
My Moneys on the cobra, the lotus seven i built with a 300hp toyota engine and 6 speed quaif sequential dog box made mince meat of a 430 in a standing start heads up. the red machine only starting making gains once past the 200k mark then we ran out of road.
he was not impressed
cheers John
The 458 is a much better car than the 430. (apologies 430 owners)
I'd back the 458 given road tires are to be used.

My buddies FFR cobra with a ford 32v 4.6l, 300hp v8 runs a pretty impressive 1/4 mile. It only weighs 2400lbs with him in it. Whats more impressive is the 0-60 times. With just 300hp, and a 4.10 rearend gear, it gets there in under 4 seconds.

If his car had had 400hp or so, i would bet it would blow away the ferrari in the 1/4 mile.

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Motorweek, a PBS automotive show, had a feature on the 458 today. They compared the 458 to the 430, even showed a heads-up 1/4 mile race between the two.

It wasn't even close...I'd bet the 458 was 10 lengths ahead of the 430 at the finish line. It wasn't a race from the very start, I'd say the 458 was a length ahead of the 430 before the 60' mark. I was amazed!!

The 458 is a bit "angular" looking, but other than that it has some incredible aerodynamic features that keep it firmly planted at speed. IIRC, the 458's engine was WAAAAY more powerful than the 430's, too, and to top it off, capable of more RPM's (important for top speed more so than accelleration).

The driver of the 458 believes he can get into the 10's with launch control and a good start.

One thing is for sure, it's one hell of a spitting match! Fun stuff :thumbsup: and great bench racing.

I'd back the 458 given road tires are to be used.

I'm with you.....I drive a small block Cobra replica, not a mega-hp car at all, and it's a tough beast to control once it gets a bit sideways. The Cobra owner is a bit of an adrenaline junkie, IMHO, and I think he'll be lucky if he doesn't get sideways half way down the 1/4 mile. The most recent post I read from the Cobra owner said they had decided that neither one of them wanted to be around the other if one of them got sideways (not really a possibility for the 458 unless the driver does something incredibly STUPID), so they'll be running at different times to avoid the possibility of a lane change taking out both cars. (quote below)

....Its a fine line between getting prepared and ruining your car haha. As far as the lane issue and who goes first i think we will probably just flip a quarter, one of the times i was running drags i hit second a little too hard and it was like i snapped my fingers and my car was 5 feet over to the right in the other lane. So since our car insurance doesn't cover the drag strip and we will both be running hard i dont think we will be going side by side.

Let's hope if Blitz, the Cobra owner, gets loose he gets back control and doesn't crash. At the kind of speeds these guys are talking about, it could get ugly.

Cheers from Doug!

Last edited:

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
My buddies FFR cobra with a ford 32v 4.6l, 300hp v8 runs a pretty impressive 1/4 mile. It only weighs 2400lbs with him in it. Whats more impressive is the 0-60 times. With just 300hp, and a 4.10 rearend gear, it gets there in under 4 seconds.

If his car had had 400hp or so, i would bet it would blow away the ferrari in the 1/4 mile.

Aaaaahhh, the classic "Big Block vs. Small Block" issue :thumbsup:

Check out the Run 'n' Gun results, you'll find that the small block cars are most frequently the fastest!

I have no idea how much HP my 5.0 HO is putting out.....but it hooks up REAL WELL, so if I ever take it to the drag strip I'll be very interested in the 60' time. The rear gears in mine are 3.7's.......4.10's would make it even faster, but I kinda like the 25 MPG on the highway......it's all a trade-off.

Cheers from Doug!!

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Well, my money's on the Cobra. It's old technology, but it's good old technology, and I admire the Cobra owner for his guts in doing this. And if his girlfriend took off with the Ferrari owner, she should be easy to replace. They come along like streetcars, there's another one in ten minutes. What would be most satisfying is for the Cobra to outrun the Ferrari, and for the Cobra owner to tell his former GF to shove it in the bargain. I'm rooting for him.

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
This race is really about the Cobra's ability to "hook up". The 458 has launch control and will be just point and shoot. It'll run low 11s to mid 11s on a strip as long as the driver and point it straight (not hard).

The Cobra owner needs skill. A big FE Cobra with 500+ hp could run in the 10s or in the 13s based on the skill of the driver and conditions of the track. Short wheelbase, light rear, unknown gearing (but slower than the twin clutch uber shifting Ferrari box) doesn't really make a drag demon.

It should be interesting

Back