Street Mclaren

I just happened to run across some pictures of this, unfortunately I have no additional information on it. Looks like somebody in California actually put a real (or near real) Can-Am car on the street.

Wild :burnout:

Attachments

• MCLARENSTREET4.jpg
    MCLARENSTREET4.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 438
  • MCLARENSTREET5.jpg
    MCLARENSTREET5.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 428
  • MCLARENSTREET3.jpg
    MCLARENSTREET3.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 441
Last edited:

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
I've often fantasized about putting an Indy-type auto on the street.

I like the way this guy thinks :thumbsup: !!

Cheers from Doug!!

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
Great fun at the lights. Who did he bribe to get it past registration?

I wonder where the vehicle was located.

I know that in some states here in the U.S.A., the requirements for registration for street use are fairly minimal.

For example, IF there is a windshield, it has to be safety glass. That is IF there is a windshield.

Other standard requirements exist, such as an emergency brake, seat belts, headlights, tail lights, turn signals, emergency flashers.

All of those things are certainly present or at least possible on that McLaren (replica????).

A lot of the requirements relate to the "year" of manufacture (or, for replicas, the year that the replica replicates). For example, the dune buggy I made while I was in high school, made from a 1954 Mercury, would have been legal for street use if I had an "emergency" brake/parking brake. It was essentially a frame stripped of its body, with a piece of bent pipe holding up the steering column and brake/clutch/throttle pedals, shortened by 3 feet, onto which I had fitted tractor headlamps and some cheap tail lights bought at the local auto parts store. It neither had nor needed turn signals. The seat was mounted to stap metal welded between the two sides of the frame, there was NO floorboard, other than the parts of the frame that remained once I removed the body. I had made a roll bar of a piece of 2" black pipe (usually used for natural gas supply lines), but it wasn't braced in any manner. In retrospect, it was a true death trap, but we didn't know any better at that time.

I bet that McLaren is WAAAAY more safe than my old dune buggy :shy: . Thank goodness I survived it!!

Cheers from Doug!

Doug S.

Lifetime Supporter
the car appears to have a California license plate judging from the colors & letter / number sequencing.

WOW! That makes getting it registered for street use even MORE of an accomplishment!!

Cheers from Doug

The car is from California, my high resolution pictures clearly show it's from the Golden State. I'd guess the pictures were taken at the vintage races in San Diego.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I don't know what's going on - but I can't quit salivating over those pictures... :eek:

Here's a tip: if you're trying to get your McLaren registered for the street, first try registering it in Washington State. If the brake lights work and you can prove there's no stolen parts on the car then you're in.

When I was a teenager I once got an old triumph registered which had no head lights, seats from my jeep not bolted to anything, no seat belts or side windows, tires down to the cords, and a steering wheel stolen and adapted from a lawn tractor. That was a rough car. But it had a license plate.

This was roughly the same time frame I ran a car into the garage wall when trying to break free a frozen clutch by jacking it up, running it up to redline in 1st and then kicking if off the jack stand......

! Nice registration tip there Cliff...may have to use that in the future. I could never do anything like your clutch trick, because with my luck I would have long since been dead.

Randy- Send me an email address and I'll ship the hi-res pics over to you for your wall.

I visited a McLaren restorer a few years ago who built a spectacular M6BGT from scratch for a guy in SoCal. I remember him saying that the tubs were so thin that they would never survive street use, so he built a steel inner frame to give it the needed strength.

Last edited:
Some pics of the M6BGT

Attachments

• coupe_right.jpg
    coupe_right.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 220
  • coupe_right_2.jpg
    coupe_right_2.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 267
  • coupe_back.jpg
    coupe_back.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 233
I have seen pics of that M6BGT before and it is a beautiful car, I think any Track only built car would not be a great road car especialy Alloy Mono types But they would be a blast for a very short period as I don't imagine keeping your lisence for very long.
Rob, Haven't seen much of the SL-C for a long time, Hows about some up date photos.
Cheers Leonmac.

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
This was roughly the same time frame I ran a car into the garage wall when trying to break free a frozen clutch by jacking it up, running it up to redline in 1st and then kicking if off the jack stand......

Wrong gear! You'd have had better luck if you'd used top..... It's all a matter of leverages (gear ratios)

Back