Tsunami in Pacific

2:50 am Friday, est, USA If you are in coastal NZ, Australia or anywhere near the coast in the western Pacific and reading this, you need to get to higher ground NOW. Sorry for being alarmist but if this saves one life it's worth warning you folks. Approx rated 9 earthquake off Japan.

Just watching this on BBC news this morning. Earthquake measuring 8.9 hit Japan, Russia has evacuated 11000 people from outlying coastal regions. And the Tsunami centre in Hawaii has extended its warning to include the whole of the Pacific basin.

To anyone in Japan or elsewhere affected by this I wish you all the best.

Pictures from Japan are truly horrible.

Terrible day...

Tim.

The tsunami height is only about 8-10m, which waves can be, but the extreme force due to the kilometres of width is the threat. Very scary, and tragic event. Purely natural and cannot be blamed on pollution or our treatment of the planet, either.

Keith

The waves may 'only' be 10 metres high (33' in old money) but if it hits the coast at that height, over the length you suspect, many people are going to be in a world of pain.. :(

Edit: What I don't understand looking at the affected areas and ETA's of the waves, is how the Western United States is not affected whilst Mexico and Indonesia are- as the distances look similar?

Is it some geographical feature, deeper water or has California passed a 'No Tsunami' Law?

Last edited:
Terrible catastrophe happening there, worsened by a serious problem at the nuclear power plants resulting in tens of thousands being evacuated. Hopefully they will be able to contain the problem at the reactor.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
Just got back from a week in the field and caught up with this news. Unbelievable! My thoughts are with those in Japan. Mother Nature is really socking it to us lately.

ZEROWANX on USTREAM: TROLL CHANNEL. english

TBStv on USTREAM: TBS

it is unbeliveable, sitting in front of screen an can not realize what happend, demages are so big, so much is gone, so many people loose all they had, industry stop´s production, and after all, this nuclear problem,.....
i dont know how they would fix all this problems,...this is not a country like india or thailand,...this is a hightech-country, so it is even harder to stop normal-live for a while,.....
i had a strong feeling for japan, a wonderfull country with one of the greatest cultures around the world, (i speak from 100st of years in the past),...
and since 1978 they bring all the thinks we love, to us,...all the motocycles we want, not all was happy about, but without honda, kawasaki, suzuki, yamaha, we had not the live, we life in moment,....and this is only a small part from theyr production,....for me it was the free, the freedom to can ride whereeveer i want, can go racing, can ride into mountains street´s,...and i still live this lifestyle,....
if i think back,.....japans product´s change my life long ago, and i was allways happy with it,...
and now to see what these people must fix,....it pushs my heard, it makes me cracy about nature and our style to live, and makes me crying do cannot do anything to give back to this country
speachless and schocked
ernst

is also incredible (for us italians, another place famous for earthquakes) how nothing, or few, could human engeneering in front of nature power.
Japanese made incredibly good skylines and buildings,that have worked quite well on the sisma, but the real problem come from tsunami of water, against that u can do very few, being a wave of 10 meters destroying everything on its way.

Just terrific news arriving via CNN, and I personally suspect they are also very skilled in hide the truth not to scare too much the people and create unuseful panic.

......they are evaquating all the area around nuclear central...scary, real scary.

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
All,

My family, relatives and myself are OK. However, still thousands of people missing in North area in Japan. Due to nuclear plants outage, routine black out has been started in Greater Metropolitan area since yesterday.
This is sad, but hope we could recover soon.

Thanks and Regards

Back