Petrol Prices where you are

I just saw this article about the cost of petrol over in the states hitting a massive $4 a gallon and nearly fell off my chair.

Over here in the UK the cost per gallon has just reached £6 or around $9.61, damn you America with your cheap fuel :)

So just out of interest what's the average cost of fuel where you are?

Trev

This morning it was 1.62€ /L for unleaded gaz
that means 6.13€ /gal ($8.15)

One of our minister tells french people to drive slowly and fluently to save fuel consumption...(BTW they are taking private jet to a 150km trip .... 27000€ every week for the french prime minister....)

Today, to go to work I was driving "slowly" my motorcycle only 190kph (front wind)

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Local Tesco Supermarket 130.9p - about 1/2 mile down the road BP thinks it should be paid 134.9p per litre

I have been watching the prices around here and after the Gulf of Mexico Oil Rig blowup BP fuel prices are always 2 - 3 p per litre higher than the opposition - it almost seems like they are trying to claw back some profits.

It just amazes me that people are stupid enough to pay the higher price! I'm sure their car cannot tell if it's in a BP, Shell, Esso or supermarket filling station! After all the fuel has to meet the required specification.

Ian

It just amazes me that people are stupid enough to pay the higher price! I'm sure their car cannot tell if it's in a BP, Shell, Esso or supermarket filling station! After all the fuel has to meet the required specification.

Very subjective I know, but a lot of the guys in work swap the fuel around. They say they get better mileage out of BP than Tesco. I still use Sainsbury though (and get the Nectar points like BP)

Ron Earp

Admin
$7.74 per gal (US); $8.05 for diesel

Those prices definitely would make motorsports difficult to justify. Not the car fuel consumption mind you, but the tow vehicle. I only get around 7-8 mpg towing (going to improve that with aero) and with even our nearest track at 90 miles away it'd be a $100 one way trip. With the tracks that are further away it'd be $300 one way. Ouch. A diesel truck wouldn't fare much better.

Gas prices are on the rise here in the US too and we're up to about $3.60 for low grade petrol and $4.00 for diesel.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Very subjective I know, but a lot of the guys in work swap the fuel around. They say they get better mileage out of BP than Tesco. I still use Sainsbury though (and get the Nectar points like BP)

And if you believe the BS shell is saying at present you can get 20 miles extra per tank.

Being an anal accountant I reset the meter at each fill - Shell actually gives me the worst consumption by about 1mpg over Tesco or Esso

A tank lasts about 2 weeks of commuting so the good and bad days will even out.

I also wonder how much ethanol they are now mixing with the oil as over the last 8 months or so average sonsumprion has dropped 4mpg!

Ian

Guys,

Greater Toronto area todays price regular -$120.7L - Diesel -$127.9L The mid and high octane gases are between 6-10 cents a liter more. The CDN dollar is higher than the US dollar.
Dave

I just filled up my Porker.... £78 to the brim. 6 years ago this was around £45....

That is some serious inflation :furious:

Ian

Ian.

Would have agreed with you but now I have joined the ranks of the stupid.

I bought a Mitsubishi Evo V just before Christmas. Had to fill up at the first petrol station with cheap fuel and thought I had bought a dud car. Filled up with Shell V max ever since as recommended and she runs fine.

So my car can tell if its Shell or not and I have become anal about looking for Shell garages.

It costs £80 to fill up my Audi, fortunately I only do it about twice a month on average.

The TVR is another mater, it costs about £60 to fill up and that will last about an afternoon!

£1.32 per litre round these parts.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Those prices definitely would make motorsports difficult to justify. Not the car fuel consumption mind you, but the tow vehicle. I only get around 7-8 mpg towing (going to improve that with aero) and with even our nearest track at 90 miles away it'd be a $100 one way trip. With the tracks that are further away it'd be $300 one way. Ouch. A diesel truck wouldn't fare much better.

I beg to differ, I purchased a 7.3L F250 Super Duty right after I purchased my trailer which is an enclosed 32 ft Gooseneck with 15K lb GVWR. The diesel gets 16mpg hauling the trailer and 20 mpg on a daily commute basis. When I purchased the trailer I hauled it back with a Dodge gas truck and I got 8 mpg, I only had that truck a couple weeks after that!

Ron Scarboro

GT40s Supporter
Supporter
And if you believe the BS shell is saying at present you can get 20 miles extra per tank.

That stuff just kills me :rolleyes:

As an accountant I used to audit petroleum wholesalers and retailers. There is no difference in fuel from an octane and BTU standpoint from one manufacturer to another. All fuel is acquired from the same refineries, with brand specific additives that have no effect on power or knock resistance.

£76 to fill my cortina p100 up, but it will last ages....the head gasket's just gone!!!

Not if its boosted up with all the crap they have here in NZ, by the time you get the head gasket fixed all the good stuff will have evaporated & you will probably blow the new head gasket in short order as the fuel will now have an octane rating down around 70 something......:)

About 20pence per litre. Or, $.37/litre in USD ($1.48/gal.).

That's if I was standing in the middle of Dubai right now (which I'm not).

Ron Earp

Admin
I beg to differ, I purchased a 7.3L F250 Super Duty right after I purchased my trailer which is an enclosed 32 ft Gooseneck with 15K lb GVWR. The diesel gets 16mpg hauling the trailer and 20 mpg on a daily commute basis. When I purchased the trailer I hauled it back with a Dodge gas truck and I got 8 mpg, I only had that truck a couple weeks after that!

Sounds like you get great mileage. The diesel guys I race with seem to consistently get 10-13 mpg which is certainly better than the 7 to 8 I now get, but still will cost some coin to get to the track. I used to get 10-11 mpg with the enclosed trailer.

I'd like to have a diesel truck. But as we've discussed on other threads I'd like a 2WD 2 door standard cab manual transmission truck and Ford isn't interested in building that. Dodge will, but I don't want a Dodge.

A Lightning to diesel conversion would be really cool. But would take a lot of time and energy.

Back