> Restaurants cut prices. An unguarded ATM is left alone. The strong cared
> for the weak.
>
> 8. THE TRAINING
> The old and the children, everyone knew exactly what to do. And they
> did just that.
>
> 9. THE MEDIA
> They showed magnificent restraint in the bulletins. No silly reporters.
> Only calm reportage.
>
> 10. THE CONSCIENCE
> When the power went off in a store, people put things back on the
> shelves and left quietly!
>
>
>

I was listening to NPR the other day - they had a reporter in some of the hardest hit areas and the only looting worth mentioning was for food and water. If you ask me, you can't count that for obvious reasons. There were a few straggling reports of valuables being stolen from homes, but those were few and far between. Very interesting compared to other countries.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
The conduct of the Japanese people, which has been really faultless through the whole horrible ordeal, makes it all the sadder, if you ask me. The areas hit were not prosperous, it appears. But even areas not prosperous in Japan are orderly and neat. Seeing how much they love their country and their civilization makes the whole thing somehow even more poignant.

I would not wish such a disaster on anyone. But I have a disagreeable suspicion that no other country's people, in the face of something like this, would act as well as the Japanese did, with such courage and dignity.

Pete,

Thanks for this - really a somber reminder of what's the difference between a civilized country and, well, one that isn't. That level of civility will allow them to once again carry on their lives and prosper, although that day is still a long way off at present.

I'd like to add one more "thing we can learn from the Japanese" to the list:

11: Don't build a freaking nuclear plant next to the ocean, particularly in an area of known tsunami danger.

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Yes, I admire the Japanese -- remember the flood of toys and gadgets that flooded our country- early sixties - known as Jap crap, ( now the Chinese are doing it) today their stuff is better than the Swiss made for quality and reliability.
The nuke plant --wasn't it built or supplied by Americans ??
And after some 60 years when a dose of radiation was thrust upon them (Hiroshima) --some lessons should be learnt here

Back