Caol Ila Moch

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Last edited:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Yes indeed David. Look at the Bowmore 35 from Islay. I would need to take out a mortgage to have a simple double. Drinking that at home a double would be in the region of £440. (Using the Scottish 1/5 gill as a measure).

David,
Here is a great article on the real McCoy. Just finished the read yesterday. Phenomenal information and history of Scotch, where it came from and how it is made. Great iformation on Wines as well.
Scotch.png

Bill

David,

I used to drink "Dalmore" but they don't seem to carry it in the LCBO stores here any more.I could probably get it in one of the specialty store in Toronto. Not into the real peaty stuff. I looked at the list you have(Single Malts) and have tried many on it. The funny thing about Scotch is it's only made in one place. The prices are the same world wide.
Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Bill and Dave,
I've sort of settled on Italian wines(mostly reds for the evening but open minded at lunch) , including their "Champagnes" as well (which often knock the French into their cocked hats) and of all the whiskies, The famous Grouse or White and McKays at lunch (both blends) usually taken as a 'half and half ' [ with a beer] and then in the evening a decent single Malt. I think being stationed at RAF Kinloss was the ruination of many a poor boy, because its Speyside, and just about every village has it's own brew, everyone knows where to get the white stuff (before being barreled) and everyone has a brother who is a ghillie (so a mornings fishing is in exchange for a bottle of s/malt is a fair exchange).[ In 1975 I had a single garage built including the up and over doors, a window and a side door in a weekend for five bottles of Glenfiddich] .
It's a nae questions, nae problem sort of society up there. Don't ever mention Culloden though. The distillery customs men used to meet the Nimrods for 'customs in formalities' and a pot of coffee was usually in the galley when they came on board.
They knew every nook and cranny in the Nimrod but if the pot of coffee was in the galley, the crew were 'signed off'. It was usually a Mr. Bailey and he called the Captain 'mister xyz' as well rather than Captain - if the pot of coffee was in the galley. If the pot was not there, the title Captain was used instead and the aeroplane got searched.
What was in the pot of coffee? Go figure but it wasn't coffee......
Bailey brought an apprentice once who poured himslf a cup of coffee when the crew suggested he helped himself, and behind a closed hand he kept trying to tell Mr Bailey what was in the "coffee", and when he eventually got the messge through to him, was met with the reply "Aye laddy, you'll go a long way and your learning fast".

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Very nice Dave,
a comprehensive selection on the site, I'm sure you will enjoy your choice:)
The Scots delight in showing off the taste of their single malts, but knowing that I am English, they always feel the need to give me a stern warning not to add anything to it!
Dave, you reminded me that, years ago, I went with my ex to Islay and other islands on a business trip (she worked for a bank and did the payroll for the maltings and distilleries). We toured the malting and distillery processes and tasted plenty. The great thing about Malt Whiskies is the incredible range and complexity of tastes, and I love the strong taste of peat in some.
In the hotel, they had a wide range of malts, and I remember tasting half a dozen or so. Bowmore was one of my favourites, Auchentoshan, Laphroaig and a few others. The other thing is, I have never had a headache in the morning after drinking single malt, by comparison, when I had blended whisky I have felt bad - and depressed, the morning after, so I never touch it now.
The tradition of a 'hofnahof':) has just about gone in this area, but you will still see it in trad Glasgow pubs.

DaveB

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
David that reminds me of a story of a famous Australian Jockey who shall remain nameless, in the Jocks changing rooms prior to a famous race in Melbourne in spring, allegedly handed a thousand dollars to all in the race except a young apprentice. Very miffed at this the apprentice girded his loins and approached the bloke handing out the money and said. "Mr. XYZ excuse me I think you forgot me".
Putting his arm around the apprentice's shoulder and with a kindly smile the senior Jockey said, "don't worry son, you're winning today."

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Throughout the years of transiting though Duty Free shops in the airport departure areas I used to try and bring back a different Single Malt on each trip. If they didn't have a different one, I'd go for duplicates for what I thought were good malts or occasionally a Southern Comfort or Old Forrester. I think I should start another career in aviation as I'm down to about 50% of what was there when I retired.
Thinks...........
No. Bugger that. It would mean getting up before 10am.

David,

My current cache is is 2 bottles of "The Glenlivet" and one "Glenfiddich". I had a bottle of the "Dalmore Cigar Malt" which lasted many years bought at the B21 in Florida. Looking at the price of it now, I wish I had bought two or three bottles. The reason for no hangover in Scotch is there is no sugar. My dad who's diabetic turned me on to Scotch. I don't drink it neat, I usually load a nice heavey crystal tumbler up full of ice and add a couple of ounces and sip. Nice cigar is extra.
Dave

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Just water - Preferably Highland Spring for no other reason than, allegedly, they devoted truck loads of their water for the first big 2004 boxing day tsunami and had it ready to go at Stansted within 24 hours. Seems like a reasonable company to support. At least possibly better than Evian or Vittel....
But they all taste the same.

Back