2006 Barolo

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
£10.79 for 2006 DOCG Barolo in Tesco at the moment so reckoned to be about half price. I had a bottle last night and it's really a quality wine as far as my tastes are concerned. At this price good enough to lay up as well.
How long - in the right conditions at least 15 years from 2006.
That will make me 74 and £10.79 will be about £1.50.
It's less if you buy a case of 6.
In fact they have some really good Italian wines at the moment and all DOCG such as Barbera, and Nebiolo. This last one is especially good - the grapes are left to hang until the Po valley fogs arrive in autumn.

DOCGDenominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita

Easily recognizable as a pink label about one inch wide around the neck of the bottle showing the exact location of production and a serial number. Mainly on good Italian wines but could also be on cheeses though this would be less common in the UK.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
£10.79 for 2006 DOCG Barolo in Tesco at the moment so reckoned to be about half price. I had a bottle last night and it's really a quality wine as far as my tastes are concerned. At this price good enough to lay up as well.
How long - in the right conditions at least 15 years from 2006.
That will make me 74 and £10.79 will be about £1.50.
It's less if you buy a case of 6.
In fact they have some really good Italian wines at the moment and all DOCG such as Barbera, and Nebiolo. This last one is especially good - the grapes are left to hang until the Po valley fogs arrive in autumn.

DOCGDenominazione di Origine Controllata e Garantita

Easily recognizable as a pink label about one inch wide around the neck of the bottle showing the exact location of production and a serial number. Mainly on good Italian wines but could also be on cheeses though this would be less common in the UK.

I dunno David, sounds a little "iffy" to me. Let's be sure, send me a couple of cases and I'll drink some now and let you know on the rest in a couple of years!

Sadly, I have never really "laid up" any wine. We bought a case of something (I really don't remember what) in 1977 when son #1 was born. Sealed up the corks and cellered it with the intention of bringing it out on his eighteenth birthday. Well, one by one they were picked off when we ran low on drinkables. I think he was four when the last one got uncorked..........so much for MY will power!

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
I've got the same problem -- no will power, besides Australia has an abundant supply of wines and wine makers, so, no need to keep any:laugh:

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
I am rying to adopt the mantra of buying two cases and lay one of them down for a reasonable time. It does seem to work though with three daughters always asking to
have a bottle to take to a party I have had to be careful and deliberately leave 'party' wine out for them to take. I lost a couple of really good vintage wines and a couple of Krugs that way. I'm down to my last two boxes of the latter and this coming weekend we will certainly use a couple of them - we have a new member in the family borne on the 4th of the 4th at 0400. He is named Harry and his mother is Sophie, my middle daughter. Sophie has used the name of Morton as a middle name
and his surname is Bayliss. He has become known as H.M. already.
So it's a Champagne night tomorrow night.

I am rying to adopt the mantra of buying two cases and lay one of them down for a reasonable time. It does seem to work though with three daughters always asking to
have a bottle to take to a party I have had to be careful and deliberately leave 'party' wine out for them to take. I lost a couple of really good vintage wines and a couple of Krugs that way. I'm down to my last two boxes of the latter and this coming weekend we will certainly use a couple of them - we have a new member in the family borne on the 4th of the 4th at 0400. He is named Harry and his mother is Sophie, my middle daughter. Sophie has used the name of Morton as a middle name
and his surname is Bayliss. He has become known as H.M. already.
So it's a Champagne night tomorrow night.

Congratulations David. I imagine you are VERY proud grandad :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
More on behalf of Sophie and Steven, thank you Gentlemen . This is new territory to Vivien (my wife) and me especially. I'll just carry on opening bottles (wine etc) as it seems there is no other role for me to carry out. I've been practising though.

More on behalf of Sophie and Steven, thank you Gentlemen . This is new territory to Vivien (my wife) and me especially. I'll just carry on opening bottles (wine etc) as it seems there is no other role for me to carry out. I've been practising though.

Practice DOES make perfect after all David :)

Congrats David. I found an Italian wine importer up in Willenhall. They have Barolo for about Sterling 10/bottle. Bought a great 1998 vintage Piemontese wine (a mixture) that was originally sold to SE Asia, never paid for and returned. Its sold for Sterling 1.50/bottle and its good. Occasionally a bottle has turned to vineger but its still excellent for the price. Will have to find a local Tescos !!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tonight I have a 2004 Barbera d'Asti Superiore which I bought in the supermarket in Monza (just outside Curva Grande) and I'll put together some feta, dried tomato, basel and olive oil and then followed by Aberdeen Angus Sirloin and rocquette (rocket?) salad and finally some pistachio ice cream from Albino Barberis in Acton.(He is a Piedmont man so Barbera is his local vino).[His Pistachio is made from nuts from Sicilia and is out of this world]
I was going to say it beats the hell out of French food but that would not be PC.
We have an order for ice cream from Albinos factory in Acton for the big national picnic on 29th. Should be a fun day.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations David!

Grandkids are the best, you get all the fun of having children.....just not all the time:). The perfect arangement!

Cheers, Jim & Frances!

Last edited:
Congrats again, "gramps", and be careful on the champagne :eek:) Seems to me on a recent occasion in your Star Wars kitchen, you opened...was it 3?...bottles in pretty short order. Hope it wasn't the Krug!

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Yes Mike - I remember and I ended up slightly gaga and talking nonsense. It has to be done though. I recall it was Janet Poret from Sacy. Lovely stuff. More coming back this year after Le Mans - if they get the price right.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Well,
I can report the Barbera was absolutely superb. Right down to the last drop and zero sediment. I wish I'd brought tons of it back when I had the chance. Today is a trip into west London for more ice cream for Easter. It's all gorn.....

I'm not much of a drinker (very strict upbringing), but I love pistachio ice cream. You got me drooling there, David. Good to see that you've settled into your present role in life (uncorking and sampling).

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Thank you all on behalf of Sophie.
John - I use the Italian store quite a lot - they have Barilla No3 amongst other difficult to find (elsewhere) and he often knocks up an expresso for me. His wines tend to be on the expensive side for me though.
Another one I like on the west side of town is Valentinos in East Sheen - similar range of stock and a restaurant there as well.
(210 Upper Richmond Road West, East Sheen, SW14 8AH)

Back