How Tough is a 4X4?

Keith

I suppose it depends where you hit it :stunned:

This is my 4x4. It was highly modified to go off road but still be a cafe cruiser on the road. It handles like a dream and has Rough Country Shocks loads of gizmos, Lotus designed suspension and best of all, Cooper STT's possibly the best compromise (80/20) tyre I have ever used (armoured sidewalls - the SAS use them on their LR's). It stands 7' tall and the lowest point is 2' off the ground. Now, I know that's bugger all for the dudes from Supersizeme State, but hey, it's Monster enough for our little lanes.

But there is something not quite right about it. You may have the chance to spot what I didn't for 2 weeks. If anyone does, I'll finish the story, if no-one does, I'm going to the Police. :laugh:

Bighorn1.jpg

Ron Earp

Admin
Haz you an engine snorkel to suck in air while the truck is half way underwater? If you don't you're just a poser.

Keith

haha Jack yes it is out of position. You'll find that on any large vehicle manufactured for the Japanese home market. It's a kind of convex arrangement which allows the, er, shorter Japanese citizen to view their front bumber corner to facilitate parking. I am told it's very tight in Tokyo!

But, no, it ain't that mate.. :)

Looks like its been hit in the sill/bottom of LH 'B' pillar area & then touched up with spray can on the LR door & LR guard, but those might be shadows. Did you block some of the rego plate out?

Had another look & it might have had a clout on the LR wheel as well.......... I doubt even Keith could go for two weeks & not notice the glass from both LH doors might be gone!!

Last edited:

Keith

Haz you an engine snorkel to suck in air while the truck is half way underwater? If you don't you're just a poser.

It is only advisable to wade up to the hubs. Most of these dang things have low mounted alternators which do not mind water but they hate mud. Thing is, if you drive across a shallow lake and create a bow wave in front (thus creating a low pressure 'trough' by the front wheel) you can just about ford anything that comes up to the hood line but it takes practice and a detailed reccy to get the speed just right otherwise you will be sleeping with the fishes. Snorkels were originally designed for Australian dust not British Mud and they look pretty stupid in the shopping mall, but hey, everyone seems to have one, except me.

And you're right Ron I'm just a poseur mate... :)

I'm looking at this on a phone but there appears to be some damage to the body under the door just in front of the rear wheel.

Edit: Snap jac :)

Unusually positive camber left rear? Hard to tell by phone.
Front bumper fit properly?

Tim

Last edited:
I've turned up the brightness and maybe the rear tyre might not be on its rim properly or has ballooned towards the top.

Can't see the front wheel at all.

Tim.

Keith

Looks like its been hit in the sill/bottom of LH 'B' pillar area & then touched up with spray can on the LR door & LR guard, but those might be shadows. Did you block some of the rego plate out?

As usual, Jac's the eagle eye but nothing has been 'touched up' - that might be paint transfer! Read on mate.. And Tim yes - you have a good phone. Yes, the sill is pushed in and a tiny bit of the door is grazed. The sill is "soft tissue" and not in anyway structural. It used to have rock sliders on it but I took them off. I was looking for more power, couldn't afford any engine work, so I added 'lightness' - worked for me.

Right challenge accepted - on with the rest of the story.

Another reason for my disappearence apart from the health issues, is that the British Forces of Law & Order are trying to take my licence away for an accident I didn't know I had. Not content with that, they have suggested that I am medically unfit to drive and therefore also have to take a medical next week along with a Crimnal Trial in June. Eitherway, I stand to lose my licence for either too many points from 3 charges or for being unfit. Babylon is 'intimating' I have a drink problem which is a laugh because I can no longer tolertate alchol because of it's dehydrating effect.

If I drink any wine at all, it will be with plain water.

Anyway, I got stuck in a coned off road they were performing roadworks in which happened after I arrived to park outside a restaurant 100 yards from where I live. The road is one way, and when the contractors found me, the proper route was blocked by their vehicles, so I reversed under a Banksman and was directed out of the roadworks the wrong way up a one way street. When I was released, I proceeded to cross the carriageway not really sure of which was road and which was roadworks and drove up my road opposite and then into my rear drive 50 yds away. Parked up and went and had a cup of tea. That's when the nightmare started.

Five days later I got Notice of Intended Prosecution for hitting a car while I was manoeuvering, Careless Driving, Failing to Stop Failing to Report. These last 2 are very serious charges. Totally stunned, I went out to look at my car and found no damage, as that sill is hard to see when you are standing next to it. Perplexed (what a lovely word) I wrote to the Police and expressed my ignorance - no reply. Later my mechanic who was doing some MOT work notices the damage. Now, I have taken this truck to hell and even Yorkshire and back - been up mountains along streams and through rocky gullies - it could have happened anywhere and is conducive to tree stump damage, what did I know?

I write to the Police again and say that I have just discovered some damage to the underneath of my car and in the interests of accuracy wanted to pont that out. No reply.

I get a call to the Police station to be interviewed under caution (no charges yet). The whole shebang was caught on Town CCTV and Christ! There WAS a bloody car there, a Silver BMW Estate which seems to be proceeding at a very slow pace along the road at right angles to my crossing. I could not have seen him, a) because of the fact that his roof must have been below my lower window line and b) because of all the bloody searchlights flashing beacons and sodding great trucks.

Anyway, there I go, just across his bows. His brake lights come on sharply which is why I know he was crawling - you could never stop from 30mph in 2 feet, sorry so why was he crawling along a main road?. My vehicle passes very close to his right hand front wing around where the headlight is and there is a tiny puff of dust. My brake lights do not come on and there is absolutely no deviation that you could expect given the resulting damage.

Three months later, my insurance company says he's found an 'eye - witness' (81 days? Really?) and have paid them out - wait for it:

£13,000 fucking pounds! I saw the BMW photos and it's ripped the entire front off, crushed the wing and the bloke sits there for 20 minutes in shock. None of this is seen on the camera though or by anyone else for that matter.

I didn't feel a sodding thing. I've tried to explain it's soft tissue skin, the vehicle weighs 3 tons and it's designed to go almost anywhere (including it seems) across bloody BMW hoods.

So, now you know. The guy's been paid out on a clearly fraudulent witness statement, the Police have 'found' a witness who is shown to stand in a place that would be clearly visible on the CCTV but he ain't there and on his drawing shows a motorbike hitting the front of MY car ? Eh? and another witness saying he KNOWS I had my front end repaired straight afterwards. Eh?

And now, I have no option but to try and plea bargain a guilty plea for careless driving in exchange for dropping the last two which are custodial offences I might add designed to deter would be drunk drivers fleeing the scene.

Either way, I will be screwed by the insurance company and it will probably be refused - banned or the DVLA take my licence away for "having enormous potential".

It's just not my decade - and at least I now have legal representation but I've had to let the other daughter go.... :thumbsdown:

But hey! The sun is shining, it's almost May Day with a hey nonny no no! Up yours facist pigs.. :tongue3:

PS I have no option on the pleading despite the errors, because it appears, I did strike his car and didn't stop. Ipso Facto. The Lay Magistrates would laugh me out of Court.

Tough bastard that Isuzu though eh? eh? Absolutely no other damage or deformation apart from that you see.

Last edited:
So he t-boned you?

If this situation is as described and a lawyer can't fix it for you then your country has fallen even further than I thought.

Tim

Keith

What do you mean MY COUNTRY white man? :laugh:

Yes, he deliberately waited for me and T-boned me. S'obvious. What gets my goat is that he is not even a proper policeman but a PCSO, ex copper doing all the routine stuff like torturing sick old men like me...

I'm on damage limitation now and just want to get this over so I can get on with whatever is left of my miserable existence.

I just wanted everyone to feel much better about their lives! No, I've nothing to complain about. I WAS careless. Forget to fit the glass eye in the back of my head...:)

Ron Earp

Admin
Snorkels were originally designed for Australian dust not British Mud and they look pretty stupid in the shopping mall, but hey, everyone seems to have one, except me.

Yes, I keep seeing them on pristine Jeeps that haven't ever been off pavement.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Keith,

Do not let the bastards get you down!

Anyway, its great to have you back, you were greatly missed!

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Keith,
what Jim said - Ne illegitima imperfectum manet dum confectum.

but seriously you have been missed, and surely the inconsistencies in the evidence you have mentioned must laugh the case out of court? If not, the law is indeed an Ass. Certainly, the perpetrator and their collaborators are Ass holes.
Anyway, keep your pecker up, and stick around, because you are wanted here.

Dave

Back