XH558 First Flight 2011

Keith

You Beauty!

Attachments

• Vulcan.jpg
    Vulcan.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 235
Keith, I was fortunate to be stationed (with my dad) near RAF Waddington many years ago, watching them take off and land on many occasions...

As a wide eyed 9 year old, it made me seek a commission in the RAF...

After being booted out of the selection process at Biggin Hill, I realised it was probalby the right thing....

So cut to last year. I was driving through Lyneham with the good lady, and we spied the Vulcan on approach. We broke the speed limit severely to get to the road at the end of the runway in time for it to pass over our heads by no more than thiry feet.

Small beer for a lot of you flyboys, but it meant a lot to me :)

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Graham,
Where did you live near waddo? I lived in N Hykeham from 58 -65 except for a spell in Germany at Gutersloh.

I remember them when they were at Manston absolutely magic to see them. We were visiting the Sea Rescue helcopters with the school when one was taxing for take off and I remarked to one of the helicopter crew that the door was open. He got on the radio and it was promtly shut.
I also got the fright of my life there while riding a my Matchles/AJS down the main road next to the runway and thought my bike was faling apart only to find a Lightining taking off next to me and going fairly vertical. The pilot must have had a good laugh watching me frantically looking down at the bike thinking it was seizing again.

Keith

Pete yes mate, Following another round of fund raising, she is fully fit for 2011 season...

I'm afraid it's going to be a struggle every year - if she loses her airworthiness certificate, I wouldn't bet on her ever flying again, and she'll become a "taxi".

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Well that is excellent news, my dodgy memory seems to think there is a website where one can donate. Do you have the info?

Graham,
Where did you live near waddo? I lived in N Hykeham from 58 -65 except for a spell in Germany at Gutersloh.

David,

We lived on the based in Officers married quarters. Apart from summers lasting forever, watchng all the planes, and the sun always shining and playing cricket with my dad, that's about it - I was only a nipper :)

Graham,

Never went to Gutersloh. I was in Rheindahlen (sp?) for a couple of years as a very small boy... I remember my sister was born in Wegburg nearby (again sp?)...

Back