Why the horse shoes?

Hoping someone can shed some light on why some GT40's that raced at Lemans (I believe they were the Gulf cars....maybe others) ran with the twin horse shoe decals on the rear quarters and what they signified? I'm sure I've heard the story before but age is taking tis toll on me....again! Thanks.

My understanding is that is was a fuel aditive brand from Gulf Corporation.
I may be wrong but the light/blue color sheme came from them.

Thanks guys....I believe the story I was told (which I could not recall) regarded the "luck" issue. They were simply placed on the car for luck. Anyone hear of anything else.....

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I'm not positive, but I seem to remember reading that the horse shoes had something to do with a Gulf add campaign that was going on at that time.

You'll get a real kick out of our fuel?

I checked Google & found this.......

Gulf No-Nox gasoline was promoted with a bucking horse leaving an imprint of two horseshoes. Several promotions centered around the two horseshoes. In 1966 bright orange 3-D plastic self-adhesive horseshoes for your bumper were given away. Another popular giveaway was during the 1968 election season, gold horseshoe lapel pins featuring either a Democratic donkey or a Republican elephant.

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Yes Tractorboy,

In the future this type of question should be limited to equestrian sites only:)

Jimmy:
Back in the 60's The Gulf gas stations around here used to have an additive called "NO-NOX" and the logo was a horse kicking the back of a car, if I remember correctly as a kid they were also giving out plastic adhesive horseshoes to stick on one's car.
Of course we also had to go to the Sinclair station and get a blow-up dinosaur when filling up, glad that didn't end up on the rear of a 40.
Cheers
Phil

Jim, Phil, Thanks for the answers. I was a lad living in England so I assume this was an American Gulf oil ad that I would never have seen in England. I believe you guys have hit on what they were meant to represent. This forum never ceases to amaze. Now, anyone know this weeks winning power ball numbers? I have my eye on a Gelscoe GT40!

The item missing above is their slogan, "you get a kick in the gas"! On their TV adds they showed a horse kicking the quarter panel of a car at the gas pump, the driver with a big "poop" eating grin, then a close-up shot of the orange horse shoes on the side of the car where kicked. ...............what a gas.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-07 at 7.18.57 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-05-07 at 7.18.57 AM.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 368
  • Screen shot 2011-05-07 at 7.19.27 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-05-07 at 7.19.27 AM.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 559