Another Volcano

Met Office: Air ash concentration charts North Atlantic area Public

The significant one for UK based airlines is the FL000 to FL250 chart. Most airlines can fly in concentrations up to 400mgm3 (don't fly in the red). So it shouldn't cause as much disruption this time.

Any airline can fly in concentrations up to 200mgm, between 200 and 400 the airline has to have permission from the engine manufacturer and have put an acceptable safety case to the CAA. Above 400 is a no no for everyone.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Ian - I think I would declare the whole week a holiday and ground everything. The last Icelandic volcano made for a really peaceful period in the home counties and as it doesn't affect me any more (you could call be a selfish bastard if you wish ) I think we should all chill and get out the barbeques along with countless bottles of Cachaça and make loads and loads of this stuff:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Dave
That sounds like a great idea - especially with a long weekend coming up!

One of the directors is due to fly out of Heathrow tomorrow evening and was trying to decide if he should pack

I'll send him Jon's link andhe can make his own mind up. But from memory BA were the first to ground and last to refly last time and he's on BA.

Jon many thanks for the link

Ian

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Yes indeed - with a bank holiday approaching, could this happen at a worse time. Probably not. If I was going somewhere this week I wouldn't start from here.
I can see it now - "Family of six starves to death in major air terminal while the police eat all the blueberry muffins and drink all the coffee at Starbucks using their free luncheon vouchers". "Archbisop of Canterbury sticks his nose and eyebrows into the reason of why volcanos always hit the middle class and not the lower working class who are quite happily ensconced over the holiday getting soaked and being sandblasted at Bracing Skegness. Just think - a weekend in a caravan at Ingoldmells.
I think the Icelandics are doing this deliberately because of the previous Cod Wars
and the massive debt they have as a country. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8akXtv5MXZg&feature=related
Ian , tell your director you'll deliver him some food parcels to the terminal over the weekend.

Last edited:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Hey when is President O'Bama (This must ne the correct spelling as he has Irish blood) due to fly back? See if his plane gets sandblasted!

Ian

Back