Blue Angel leader quits

Blue Angels commander relieved of duties - Local News - Mobile, AL - msnbc.com

Interesting video. Seems he resigned after the low pull out (was on TV, probably on you tube). Scary. I remember when the T-birds put the diamond/T-38s (in perfect formation) into the dirt at T-bird lake at Nellis practicing. I knew 3 of the 4 guys well, the leader was an instructor at the Weapons School while I was there (he lasted about 6 months - not too hot at air to air (I was the sq. standards/eval pilot), hence the move - very personable guy though - poster boy looks). Accident report showed a wrench left in the fuselage jammed the controls and only allowed about 3.5 gs. They hit the lake in about a 5 degree nose down attitude. Bad news was there was no "break" call form the leader, so the diamond was 'light in the star'.

The Blues evidently did get a break call and pulled out at 130'. Not pretty.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
What's the usual altitude for the pull out from this maneuver? Just curious. I have seen this show fourteen or fifteen times, I live right near the Academy, but you can't judge it from the ground, I have no idea how far off the deck they are.

Thanks for the video. That was my home town! I meant to be at the show with my kids but my wife and I had done a local bike ride that morning, it was hotter than hell, and I was napping :) I did notice the sounds from the performance seemed to end early (about 3:40 instead of closer to 4:00). I think they landed immediately after that. The local paper mentioned it but had not details.

Jeezus that looks pretty close.

Back