B17 and B25 in flight

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
If any of you guys get an opportunity to ride on the Collings Foundation B-17 or B-24, I'd highly recommend it. It's a rare opportunity to gain some small amount of insight into what was experienced back when this was state-of-the-art machinery. They don't sanitize the flights or make them childproof. Poking my head out the rear hatch on top and behind the turret to watch those radials twist away was something I'll never forget. Basically they give you free roam of the entire plane, sans the left/right seat for about 30 minutes.

Attachments

• 100_2938.JPG
    100_2938.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_2954.JPG
    100_2954.JPG
    213 KB · Views: 206
  • 100_2955.JPG
    100_2955.JPG
    195.5 KB · Views: 190
  • 100_2956.JPG
    100_2956.JPG
    147.6 KB · Views: 189
  • 100_2964.JPG
    100_2964.JPG
    199.1 KB · Views: 197
Seeing those two planes lumbering over Silicon Valley gets me out of my seat everytime. Have not bucked up the money to actually go for a ride. But if you can really wonder around the plane and check every position out in flight...I might just have to go on up!
The were just out here two weeks ago.

I got to ride in the B-17 a few years ago. Well worth it. A real eye-opener when you roam around the inside (no seats, no belts, you sit on the floor/deck in the fuselage between the waist guns on take off and landing) while plugging along at something like 160 Knots, then think what it must be like while they're shooting at you...talk about feeling like a sitting duck!

Attachments

• B-17_010.jpg
    B-17_010.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 162

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Both times I went, they ask the passengers to help rotate the engines for the radial oil-in-cylinder issues. Then they tell you not to lean on the rear lower hatch (is has not special latches), don't lean against the control cables running along the inside walls (for obvious reasons), and don't find yourself standing on the bomb bay doors (STAY on the crosswalk). Otherwise, have fun. If you volunteer for "something" on the initial orientation speech, you'll get the surprise (pleasure) of sitting immediately behind the pilots on takeoff. Very fascinating watching them go the startup procedures for these radials as the instrument panel bounces all over the place on rubber mounts, and the whole thing feels like it's going to shake itself apart until it gets in the air. To think we had men (boys) in these fancy soda cans (which you could probably penetrate the skin with a pellet gun), as a way of life just mesmerizes me.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
P><P><FONT color=black><FONT face=Verdana>The last time they were here they had trouble with their B25. They had to replace the plugs along with some other maintenance. While running up the engines they only asked that the spectators stay 'sufficiently' clear of the props. <SPAN style=
In other words you could get right there with them as they ran up the motors instead of a hundred yards away with binoculars. It was nice to be a part of an activity in which it wasn't child-proofed so much to the point where the fun was completely sterilized. </SPAN>

They don't make it through <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com
><st1:State w:st=
</st1:State><st1:place w:st="on">Arkansas</st1:place> very often, but I'm always on the list when they do. Oh, and for those that aren't familiar with the Collings Foundation, they just recently completed flight tests of their ME262 (no typo here). It's a two-seat trainer that I'm assuming they will offer rides for, but I'm sure this will be a 4 figure expense. They also have an F-4, and are looking at purchasing a century fighter when they can get the DOD and/or Congress to allow it. So far they've had to fight Uncle Sam for everything they do.<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

• ME262.jpg
    ME262.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 146
Ox,
When they are here they never stop flying...they pretty much land....taxy around dump off and pick up the next load. They seem like they are always in the air when here...easy for me to tell as they fly right over my office on approach. Makes it really hard to concentrate :laugh:

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Ox,
When they are here they never stop flying...they pretty much land....taxy around dump off and pick up the next load. They seem like they are always in the air when here...easy for me to tell as they fly right over my office on approach. Makes it really hard to concentrate :laugh:

My guess is that these yahoos around here don't know what it is, or the promotion of the flights is lackluster, or the low social-economic status of the state, but I've never seen over two flights per day on the two days they are here. Perhaps this is why they've only come through Arkansas twice in the last 5 years.

Not sure if it's the same group but I just heard a news report that a B17 went down outside Chicago but everyone got out alright after it crash landed in a field
r-B17-CRASH-large570.jpg

The "Liberty Belle" took off from Aurora Municipal Airport but went down three or four minutes later in a cornfield, after the pilot reported an engine was on fire.
The seven people on board the plane got out safely.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
I hate to see this. As rare and invaluable as these are, one could argue they should all be in a museum, but their true beauty is the functional and operational experience.

Back