Kai Tak - the old airport in HKG

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Whilst poncing about on the F1 thread and talking about Hong Kong,
I thought I would google to find a video of landing at the old airport in HKG.
It was built by the Brits for the R.A.F. using slave labour and was superceded by the new airport on Lantau island. This video is of the approach to runway 13 - more often called the chequer board approach
( you will see a hill side half way through all painted in back and white chequer board style which you have to be able to see before continuing below decision height) The airlines usually insist on a reasonably level of experience and a few visits on the jump seat then a few visits in the none landing seat and then a few visits in good weather. The clearance for Kai Tak could take severla months.
This is an approach in the rain but not all that sporting as the crosswind seemed negligible. Enjoy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8g-ArLYsloI

Our new office is direct at this site. From my desk i have direct view to the old airport.
Can imagine how difficult it was to land their.

TOM

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Tom,
Is the black and white chequerboard still there?
I may be coming through HKG in late September/October and probably in the Excelsior on Causeway Bay so if you are out there then we can maybe grab a cool beer in Wan Chai.

Wan Chai at night.

Hi David

yeah its high likely that i will be in HK at this time as well. Know a nice japanese grill restaurant in Wan chai ( old little house in between the high buildings, great food). I usually stay in the Marco Polo Honk Kong Hotel in Harbour city. It is a snap from there to causeway with the victoria ferries.

would be great to meet with you, so lets stay in contact for that.
TOM

Back