Father's Day

Keith

Not sure if it is in US or anywhere else but the UK for that matter, but come on, 'fess up, what did your ever-so- grateful kids do for you today?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
It's fathers day here in the good old USA, my daughter & wife took me out to breakfast, Allison got be a beautiful glass sculpture of a fish and Frances got me a new set of tires for the Batmobile. Nothing says loving like a set of Avons:)

Last edited:
It's not Fathers' Day down under.

But on this topic, I have a (single) friend who has had many girlfriends around the world; he stays inside and won't answer the door on Fathers' Day.

Keith

Now that is funny mate (and so true). How come it's not Fathers Day there? I would certainly have thought at least UK and Oz/NZ would be linked....

Brian Stewart
Supporter
It falls on 4 September in NZ this year. Don't know why it is not linked to UK.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Fathers day in 2012 will be a totally new experience as Fathers days go . I will board an aeroplane about a week before and return about a week after the said date and my destination will probably be my old stamping grounds in the 70's : the Maldives or the Seychelles. I shall relax with a whole load of books to read and several bottles of Cachaca to last my sojourn. And get this - I will be travelling on my own and if anybody tries to disturb my peace and quiet they will be sorely rebuked. I might even extend this break if I can find something gainful to do - who knows.

My son took me out to a car meet in one of the 40s I have built, he drove fast and very very well, unique event for me to be in the left hand seat ! I thoroughly enjoyed that.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Well Keith, It was a business as usual sort of day. No point in moaning.
Jon - I used to be TRE on the Twotter. Yes - the sort of job I would have
loved. Another was Air BC in Vancouver and Westcoast Air, both on the Twin Otter.. Did you know the Twin Otter is back in production avec glass cockpit no less...

Last edited:

Keith

My son took me out to a car meet in one of the 40s I have built, he drove fast and very very well, unique event for me to be in the left hand seat ! I thoroughly enjoyed that.

Very very cool Frank. Now that IS a proper Father's Day gift and beats my stale slice of Madeira and 2 fig rolls into a cocked hat... :)

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Evidently there is a huge fruit basket on the way from my godchildren- couldn't be delivered yesterday as I was working at the hospital. But they called me, as they always do. I'm a fortunate man- I have children without the burdens of marriage, which has turned out wonderfully.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
My son -
Must have been very busy or he would have called I suppose..
Since I worked for my employer on Father's Day - maybe he was doing the same.
While I love being a Dad - I'm feeling just a little down at the moment - Need to focus on other things.

Keith

I kid you not, there are younger people in my town who rail against their parents if they dare to go on holiday or buy a new car because they (the parents), are, quote: " spending my inheritance"

Unfortunately true.

Fortunately, there are not that many but even one youngster who is waiting for his parents to pop their clogs is too high. :(

I travel hopefully in the knowledge that 99% of our children respect their parents and will gladly take care of them when they fall ill, take them into their homes and love them until the end. :laugh:

That's what Muslims do anyway.... :)

My son -
Must have been very busy or he would have called I suppose..
Since I worked for my employer on Father's Day - maybe he was doing the same.
While I love being a Dad - I'm feeling just a little down at the moment - Need to focus on other things.

Randy,

I see my dad maybe once a year. he lives 160 miles from me, which is frankly no distance really. we talk on the phone once a month for a catch up.

Trouble is that now he's 67 and I'm 44, and we've got into a rut of not bothering enough.... One day he'll be gone and it will all be too little too late...

Thankfully he's coming to see me in a month for the weekend, and I'm going to give us both a bollocking and make us try harder. Just listen to the Cat Stevens song Cats in the Cradle :-

My child arrived just the other day
He came to the world in the usual way
But there were planes to catch, and bills to pay
He learned to walk while I was away
And he was talking before I knew it and as he grew
He said, "I’m gonna be like you, Dad,
You know I’m gonna be like you"

And the cats in the cradle and the silver spoon
Little boy blue and the man in the moon
When you comin home, dad, I don’t know when,
But we'll get together then, Son,
You know we'll have a good time then.

My son turned ten just the other day
He said "Thanks for the ball, Dad, come on lets play
can you teach me to throw?" I said, "Not today,
I got a lot to do" He said "Thats okay"
And then he walked away but his smile never dimmed
And said "I’m gonna be like him, yeah
You know I’m going to be like him"

Little boy blue and the man on the moon
When you comin home, dad, I dont know when,
But we'll get together then, Son,

Well he came from college just the other day
So much like a man I just had to say,
"Son, I’m proud of you, can you sit for a while?"
He shook his head, and he said with a smile

"What I'd really like, Dad, is to borrow the car keys
See you later, can I have them please?"

When you comin home, Son, I dont know when,
But we'll get together then, Dad,

I’ve long since retired, my son's moved away
I called him up just the other day........
I said "I'd like to see you if you don’t mind"
He said "I'd love to Dad, if I could find the time.
You see my new jobs a hassle, and the kids have the flu.
But It's sure nice talking to you, Dad,
It's been sure nice talking to you........"
And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me
He'd grown up just like me,
My boy was just like me..............

When you comin home, Son, I dont know when,
But we'll get together then, Dad
We're gonna have a good time then

Keeping a relationship on the boil is a damned hard thing to do, but I think we MUST do it, otherwise what really is the point of it all???

(And that makes me the biggest hypocrite of all time...).

Well since the thread is still active, here is something a friend of mine wrote for Father's Day.
Titled, The Celebration of the Death of Fatherhood

It's been about 100 years since the first official Father's Day. For 50 of those years, we've been celebrating a dying occupation.

Lyndon Johnson's infamous “war on poverty” was a grand exercise in government expansion that morphed into a war on family. Government won. Our divorce rate has doubled, and three in four of our black children are born out of wedlock. We have 10 times as many people in jail today as we did then, and though we're twice as wealthy, we have 5 times more citizens on welfare.

Lyndon had helpers. Feminist Betty Friedan sought to right gender inequality and stumbled into ironic partnership with playboy Hugh Hefner. Their shared enthusiasm for the pill, abortion and the sexual revolution did more to liberate men than women. We were freed to rent the opposite sex as playthings rather than commit to cherished partners. The result? We saw 44 million aborted children and a society full of angry women treated as toys and emasculated men stuck as little boys.

Big government and liberty are incompatible. Evidence surfaces in the subversion of the rule of law with family courts and social service agencies empowered to rule by law. Their snowballing abduction of parents' rights has done great social harm. Parental responsibility without authority is unsustainable and a major cause of paternal detachment.

Research consistently validates the necessity of intact families in producing functional children and cultural sanity. The number one predictor of adult imprisonment is the childhood absence of an engaged father. A top causal factor for poverty, teen suicide, drug abuse, and about every other social harm imaginable is a bad dad, no dad or a ghost who pretends to be dad.

Men are designed to be heroes. For most, our greatest chance comes with being a good father. A source of reward, opportunity and challenge that few life roles can match.

The fastest path to becoming a stronger man and better dad centers on treating all women as a mother, wife, daughter or sister — period. That equation forces growth, character and maturity and holds the power to save a darkening culture.

We have a yearly opportunity to reflect on the love, values and behavioral examples shown by our fathers. The best dads delight in nurturing and protecting their children and treasuring their mothers. Such men embrace that call as a blessed responsibility — never as a sacrifice. They merit celebration.

My Fathers Day started with being woken by a phone call in the early hours of Sunday morning. Youngest stepdaughter and her boyfriend had a single car accident on the way home from a party, writing off his car.

He was driving too fast, almost hit a street light in the middle island, swerved and skidded over the pavement on the left and knocked down a good stretch of a 6 foot high garden wall, bounced off, then hit a tree and spun back into the middle of the road. We had to scoop up a tearfull daughter, pacify an irate wall owner, etc etc and take her home. Both ends of the car stoved in and how they got out alive with just bruises and a few cuts is an absolute miracle.

Yes, booze was involved and there were some very stern words spoken later.

But then I did get most of the weekend in the garage, and had a nice meal out in the evening

Cheers

Fred W B

Back