Does anyone know a good auto transporter?

Does anyone know a good, reasonable auto transporter? The car would be sent from Park Ridge, Il 60068 to Oceanside, CA 92056. I was thinking of DAS....any other ideas?

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I have used Horseless Carriage on three occasions for East to West transport and although they may not be the cheapest option I was always very impressed with their service and care.

Hi Ken I have used DAS on two occasion without issue...delivered as promissed for the price quoted but it has been roughly 8 years.

Ron Earp

Admin
Have a look at our forum sponsor Intercity.....You can wait for their banner advertisement or click on "Advertisers" up top.

Ron

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Passport/FedEx are great. Not cheap, but you get what you pay for. Intercity was fine. I have had problems with VIP (damage) and DAS (late and car got lost for a while) There are also some sites where you can put jobs up for bids. I haven't used Horseless but friends have and liked them. I think Passport is generally felt to be the best. You could call some of the others and ask for references you can contact.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I have had problems with VIP (damage) and DAS (late and car got lost for a while)

That brings up a good point, be sure whoever you use that your car is loaded on a truck at pick up and doesn't leave until it reaches its destination. Some lower end carriers will swap cars between trucks at various points in the trip, all added risk of damage IMO.

BE Careful. Listen to all the information that was given above! Don't go "cheap"! You will be very sorry. They will take your money and put you on a list for carriers to pick up according to your dollar amount the broker set to get your business. Then you wait for a hungry hauler to take the job. The one we tried was recommended by Factory 5. They then took our credit card number and used it twice at a truck stop near their business to buy lunch for the crew one day, and pop and snakes the next day. Great deal! We waited over 3 weeks and still no takers. It was bid too low and no carrier would take it! We had to force them to give a refund through Visa to get the charges reversed, then drove across the USA, bought a trailer on the way from a manufacture and hauled the car home our selves just as the snow was falling...............Oh what fun!

:veryangry:BE Careful. Listen to all the information that was given above! Don't go "cheap"! You will be very sorry. They will take your money and put you on a list for carriers to pick up according to your dollar amount the broker set to get your business. Then you wait for a hungry hauler to take the job. The one we tried was recommended by Factory 5. They then took our credit card number and used it twice at a truck stop near their business to buy lunch for the crew one day, and pop and snakes the next day. Great deal! We waited over 3 weeks and still no takers. It was bid too low and no carrier would take it! We had to force them to give a refund through Visa to get the charges reversed, then drove across the USA, bought a trailer on the way from a manufacture and hauled the car home our selves just as the snow was falling...............Oh what fun!

Tim: It wasn't Stewart Transport. It was a broker located in Illinois. They owned no trucks or equipt we found out. Just a boiler room full of phones being answered to take orders. Transporters would contact them for hauls to fill there loads going or coming back in most cases.

There is a guy out here that paid extra (years back) for his car never to be started or taken off the transporter once it was loaded. Turns out some enthusiast posted a YouTube video of his car during it's trip out from the East. Problem was it was said GT40 - off the transporter - and being started during a shuffling of cars.

Needless to say the owner was not too happy about being lied to.

I am using Pilot Transport located in Brighton, MI. This is the suggested carrier by SHELBY SuperSnake converter, Sean Hyland where my GT500 is currently. The company serves all 48 states and since it is located near Detriot, many of the car manufactures in the Detriot area. I know they carried all the Mercedes autos used at this years Masters in Agusta, GA. I saw a new FORD vehicle onboard when my car was being loaded being returned from proving grounds. Every little scratch is recorded with pictures before loading onto the carrier. I feel comfortable letting the Mustang leave. The truck driver was courteous and experienced in my judgment.

Back