A Man's word.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Remember when a man's word was his bond?
Remember when a handshake was a contract?
Remember when you could leave the doors to your house open and unlocked?
Remember when you could leave your car open and the keys in the ignition and when you got back it was still there?
Remember when the Westminster system of Government was alive and well,
and if a Minister of the Crown was caught out in a lie he would be forced to resign?
Some of you will be too young to remember those days, but to coin a phrase from Jeff, the grumpy old white Geezers on this Forum will. Sadly those days are gone.
On Sunday our Prime Minister, who as part of her election campaign clearly stated
more than once that "Under my Government there will be no Tax on Carbon"
will announce the details of her new Carbon tax. Her timing is exquisite, Parliament has risen for it's longest break of the year, so the Tax she promised the people would not happen will not be debated or questioned for some time.
Julia Gillard has lied to the Australian people and under the ethics of our Westminster system should resign. Will she? Of course not, she is without ethics or Honour.

All of the legal phraseology of modern mankind would be for nothing,if at the very fabric of it was in the beginning the first to agree or bonded by word.In the Bible it say 'In the;beginning was 'god's word.'Your word is what gives you character. Live by it or perish. 'A mans word is his bond'

I can't remember who said that, but sadly it is a thing of the past.
Shame Julia Shame.

Brian Stewart
Supporter
This tickled my fancy Pete. Sent to me by my brother who lives in Oz.....

Julia Gillard met with the Queen in England . She asked her,
"Your Majesty, how do you run such an efficient government? Are there any
tips you can give to me?"

"Well," said the Queen, "the most important thing is to
surround yourself with intelligent people."

Julia frowned, and then asked, "But how do I know the people
around me are really intelligent?"

The Queen took a sip of tea. "Oh, that's easy; you just ask
them to answer an intelligent riddle."

The Queen pushed a button on her intercom. "Please send David
Cameron in here, would you?"

David Cameron walked into the room and said, "Yes, Your
Majesty?"

The Queen smiled and said, "Answer me this please, David, your
mother and father have a child. It is not your brother and it is not your
sister. Who is it?"

Without pausing for a moment, David Cameron answered, "That
would be me."

"Yes! Very good," said the Queen..

Julia went back home to Australia and asked Wayne Swan, her
Deputy Prime Minister the same question.

" Wayne , answer this for me. Your mother and your father have
a child. It's not your brother and it's not your sister. Who is it?"

"I'm not sure," said Wayne . "Let me get back to you on that
one." He went to his advisors and asked every one, but none could give him
an answer.

Finally, he ended up in the men's toilet and recognised Tony
Abbott's shoes in the next stall.

Wayne asked, "Tony, can you answer this for me? Your mother
and Father have a child and it's not your brother or your sister. Who is
it?"

Tony yelled back, "That's easy, it's me!"

Wayne smiled, and said, "Thanks!" Then, he went back to speak
with Julia.

"Say, I did some research and I have the answer to that
riddle. It's Tony Abbott"

Julia got up, stomped over to Swan, and angrily yelled into
his face, "No, You idiot! It's the English Prime Minister, David Cameron!"

AND THAT, MY FRIENDS, IS PRECISELY WHAT'S GOING ON WITH OUR
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT IN CANBERRA .

Lies and deceit in politics, what a surprise. It'll be the media next...

Howard rewrote the book on those practices, everyone else just took a leaf from it - sadly.
Yes it was bad before him but he was spawned crawling at the bottom of the abyss the others were looking over. Same one they found Cheney in.

Politics, bureaucracy and society are in a mess in Australia.

Best chance now IMO - get rid of Abbott, install Turnbull; he would romp it in.
And no I am not normally a liberal voter. I am frankly disgusted with politics and most politicians. I'd have a beer with Tony Windsor but he's about the only one.

Tim

Last edited:
You guys are arguing over one or two politicians!!!!! How quaint. You ain't seen nothing til you take a look at the Atlanta Daily Journal's CRCT scandal. This CRCT is a standaraized test given to all the grammer schoolers to see if they are "keeping up" with the average student. Part of Presidents Bush and Ted Kennedy's handy work called "no Child Left behind. The George Bush-Ted Kennedy Chickens Come Home to Roost in Atlanta | RedStateInstead of finding out which students were falling behind and accelerating ahead of their fellow students and getting them together in special classes so they can get the help with what they need, they group them all together and they have to progress together. All the students are drug down to the slowest students level so that "no student is left behind".The slow learners are cheated the bright students are cheated and the average students don't know what is going on.
Seems that they have found out that something like 48 out of 56(numbers are round about) schools have been cheating.100 Atlanta school employees implicated in test cheating scandal  | ajc.com The teachers and principals where changing the answers to the test to keep the scores high. The test are really a measure of the teachers performance and not the children's progress. Poor scores means firings, less money for the district and a poor rating for the school system. The head of the school system, a Mrs. Beverly Hall was given the national award for the best school board head in the U S. She also got a 70K bonus for getting such high scores on the test. She either knew or had to know this was going on. Many documents were destroyed when the first reports came out, and many others were altered to disguise the depth of the problem(only a few schools).CRCT scandal tests Atlanta school superintendent's image  | ajc.com One principal even wore gloves during the alterations so she wouldn't get her fingerprints on the test. One principal threatened the teachers with sueing their asses off if anyone spoke up on the matter. Some schools had take home partys where the teachers would take test home and correct them. Students that couldn't even read were getting the highest marks of all.
Now this even gets better. It is now known that the Atlanta Chamnber of Commerce has aided and abetted the scandal by trying to cover it all up so there wouldn't be any bad reflection on the city.
The bad or worse news is that Atlanta is the system that got caught. How many others do you think there are?????

Bill

Bill,
Not to hijack the thread, Look at the makeup of that school administration, the mush minds they have to educate, lack of parental over-site (you'll know your kid is not an A student), and "Oh, we need to spend more money". I would go back further than Geo Bush, back to the "Great Society" and LBJ/J. Kennedy. I hope they file charges of fraud, jail them, and take their retirements. However, that is just me and I do love the UCMJ way of prosecuting. :thumbsup:

Deleted post - There wasn't an argument as far as I could see (Fox news could probably make something of it though). No point in starting one over a patronizing comment from the land of the bigger, better, badder... (yawn)... especially when I agree that some US problems are ridiculous.

BTW, when it comes to your school cheating scandal you guys are way behind, already been exposed, sensationalised, spun and forgotten over here.

Tim

Last edited:

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Pete, a thread we can agree on -- call me a grumpy getting old white guy who doesn't like lying politicians either.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
So Pete - You were expecting the leopard to change its spots?

The easiest way to tell if a politician is lieing is to watch their lips... If they're moving, their lieing..

I've only known a handful of politicians over all my years that I would trust - and even then - not much further than I could throw them and most certainly not out of my sight.. Sadly - They are all dead now save one or two exceptions which are now so old they've chosen to be inactive..

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
So Pete - You were expecting the leopard to change its spots?

The easiest way to tell if a politician is lieing is to watch their lips... If they're moving, their lieing..

I've only known a handful of politicians over all my years that I would trust - and even then - not much further than I could throw them and most certainly not out of my sight.. Sadly - They are all dead now save one or two exceptions which are now so old they've chosen to be inactive..

No Randy, I have been around too long to expect that. Most lie, and those that tell the truth get ridiculed, or banished for not following the Party line.
A sad state of affairs, and not at all what I think democracy should be.:veryangry:

Back