R31 (Re) Build Update

Keith

I have been instructed by the Wing Commander to appraise you of progress with my R31 classic high speed Pilot Boat.

So, obedient as ever, herewith.

Paint: Now completed. There are at least seven different components to the final finish - paint by Dupont.

The Sharp End:

Image9.jpg

The new hood has been custom designed (by me) manufactured and fitted (by them):

Image1-1.jpg

Image3.jpg

Image5.jpg

Image7.jpg

She now has a very appropriate name. My home port Lymington, has been a haunt of smugglers for over 1,000 years. Cases of Barbados Mount Gay Rum are still to be found everywhere in the town, can't think how they get here :laugh:.. The vinyl graphics are now being made and will be fitted prior to launching next week. Still have the 100mm diameter Hemp Rope Fender to be fitted in the hull scallop.

Name2.jpg

Some of the sums involved would bring tears to your eyes.

To wit: Osmosis treatment to entire hull £7,000

Painting materials to hull and topsides: £1,900

Labour for painting hull and topsides: £6,000

Hood manufacture and fitting: £2,000

Smile on my face: (when it is back in its element) Priceless

I think a '40 may have have been cheaper, but at least David and I can sit in the cockpit in Cowes watching the tarts on the yots, the sun going down on the chilled pinkers - that's if I don't get arrested by Customs first!

PS The irony is of course that this is an unusual case of Gamekeeper turner Poacher! In a previous life she was a Coastguard Auxiliary SAR vessel.

Last edited:
She's a pretty lady now Keith. Love the hood too.
Completion of the rope fender will set her off nicely.
I hadn't found too many "deck ornaments" in Lymington though.
Guess it will have to be "Tarts on Yots" at Cowes.

Have fun!

Very pretty indeed! Been there/done that with the osmosis/epoxy bottom and the topsides paint on previous boats so I share your tears.

......I always wanted to open a bar called "The Twin Screws!".......

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Hey Keith she looks fantastic, and those prices look pretty good by Aussie standards.
I love the irony of the name.
Next we are in Blighty I would love to join you and the Winco watching the tarts on yots while sipping a Kendells.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Pete - is that Kendells - the cider? Seems like things are looking up.
Unable to trace it here in the UK but sooner or later it will happen. If they can import XXXX, Tueys, and Fosters, they can import anything.
By the way, the Rum Runner may just be looking for a Victualling Officer (Liquids) if you are interested?

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Still need Procurement,Entertainments, and Tactics (Tatics for the purists).
Name and suitable qualifications on a postcard please.

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Shiver me timbers, if it isn't Cap'n Greybeard me old hearteeey.:bandana: Now is that not a fine Galleon saved from Davy Jones' locker 'n must have cost a dubloon or two? Now choose yer hands careful now, no lubbers but old salts all, with a saucy wench or two for the cold nights. Keep 'em in line now, 'n see the lads kiss the gunner's daughter if'n they're not smart enough for ee. I'd like fine to come splice the mainbrace with ee, and shanty too, but you see there's the sorry tale of a blackspot in my hand that I need to lie low for a time - bilge sucking swabs that they are 'n dead men tell no tales as they will see! Well me old Bucko, I have to go now and handsomely too before Jack Ketch comes to dance, so fair winds to you and your fine ship, but keep a lookout and ee'll see me afore long! AAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaar

Back