Skin Cancer

Pat

Supporter
On a different note, I'd like to encourage all of you that live in tropical or temperate climates to visit the dermatologist. Living in Florida it's something we do but this time it hit very close to home. I was having a mole looked at on my back when the doctor examined my arms. Above my elbow was what looked like a little pink dot. He felt it and did a precautionary biopsy.
Well last week it came back positive and this morning I had the area removed. I never ever would have thought that particular area would have been skin cancer. The five other spots he biopsied were negative including the mole that was the reason for my visit. .
In the US, Melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer, will account for about 68,130 cases of skin cancer in 2010 and most (about 8,700) of the 11,790 deaths due to skin cancer each year. It killed my mother when I was a kid.
Skin cancer can be found early, and both doctors and patients play important roles in finding skin cancer. If you have any of the following symptoms, tell your doctor.
•Any change on the skin, especially in the size or color of a mole or other darkly pigmented growth or spot, or a new growth
•Scaliness, oozing, bleeding, or change in the appearance of a bump or nodule
•The spread of pigmentation beyond its border such as dark coloring that spreads past the edge of a mole or mark
•A change in sensation, itchiness, tenderness, or pain

The best ways to lower the risk of non-melanoma skin cancer are to avoid intense sunlight for long periods of time and to practice sun safety. You can continue to exercise and enjoy the outdoors while practicing sun safety at the same time. Here are some ways you can do this:
• Avoid the sun between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.
• Seek shade: Look for shade, especially in the middle of the day when the sun's rays are strongest. Practice the shadow rule and teach it to children. If your shadow is shorter than you, the sun’s rays are at their strongest.
• Slip on a shirt: Cover up with protective clothing to guard as much skin as possible when you are out in the sun. Choose comfortable clothes made of tightly woven fabrics that you cannot see through when held up to a light.
• Slop on sunscreen: Use sunscreen and lip balm with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 15 or higher. Apply a generous amount of sunscreen (about a palmful) and reapply after swimming, toweling dry, or perspiring. Use sunscreen even on hazy or overcast days.
• Slap on a hat: Cover your head with a wide-brimmed hat, shading your face, ears, and neck. If you choose a baseball cap, remember to protect your ears and neck with sunscreen.
• Wrap on sunglasses: Wear sunglasses with 99% to 100% UV absorption to provide optimal protection for the eyes and the surrounding skin.
• Follow these practices to protect your skin even on cloudy or overcast days. UV rays travel through clouds.
• Avoid other sources of UV light. Tanning beds and sun lamps are dangerous because they can damage your skin.
Many of us sail, play tennis, golf and of course do things with cars. If you have had lengthy sun exposure, sunburns (even as a child) or are over 40, consider a visit to the dermatologist. It may save your life.

Absolute agreement Veek! I had a skin cancer scare last month. Visited a dermatologist and learned that my problem area (shoulder) was okay. A facial exam indicated some pre-cancerous spots. She prescribed a four week treatment with fluorouracil, used in a cream to treat certain skin conditions. Fluorouracil stops cells from making DNA and it may kill cancer cells. It is a type of antimetabolite. Also called 5-fluorouracil and 5-FU. Looked like Freddy Kruger for the first three weeks, then when my face had melted-off, healed normally. Follow-up exam proved it was successful in destroying pre-cancerous skin cells.

Be careful out there in the sun!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Very good point Veek, thanks.

They recently found skin cancer on my nose, the cancer was sucessfully removed, leaving only slight scaring.

Another thing folk should keep in mind, please get a Colonoscapy. In 2008, in the middle of my purchasing P2264, I had a Colonoscapy and they found colon cancer.

I immediately underwent surgery, the removed almost three feet of my colon!

I was very lucky, they got it all and Cemo was not needed.

Guys this is important, it saved my life!

There were several guys around me in the Hospital that were not as lucky!

Terry Oxandale

Skinny Man
Glad to hear Veek. And always remember that these things can appear even in places one would think is well protected from the UV instigator.

I was (am) married to a sun goddess. During the first seven years of our marriage I hounded her about the sun and tanning beds, but she waivered little in her practice or use. Six years ago, she found a melanoma that was successfully removed. Now, her next best friend now is the dermatologist whom she visits on a 6-month basis. I pity the poor fool in a party that comes up to her for friendly chat about tan skin, sun, or tanning beds. They will certainly get an ear-full. She’s probably the Cancer Society’s greatest advocate now.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Another thing folk should keep in mind, please get a Colonoscapy. In 2008, in the middle of my purchasing P2264, I had a Colonoscapy and they found colon cancer.

I immediately underwent surgery, the removed almost three feet of my colon!

I was very lucky, they got it all and Cemo was not needed.

My wife asked the Doctor when I had my 'scope to see if he could find my brain while he in there......

All joking aside, how has the shortened intestinal tract affected you? Do you eat more/less? What effects does it have?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Rick,

I was concerned about that going in, the Doctor said it could be a problem, but that is fairly rare. In the end (pun intended) there is no noticable differance. I was kinda hopeing that I would loose some weight, but if I did not know about the operation, I would not have noticed any change.

Once again, I was very lucky!

Veek,

Very good message. I lost my cousin in her 20's to melanoma she had spent a lot of time in tanning beds in her teens. She had just gotten married and was begining her adult life and within a year was planning her own funeral and picking out the box she would be laid to rest in.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Veek/Molleur Thanks for the tips.

Jim, Good tip for all and thanks you are OK (you seem like a good guy even if your political perssuasions could use therapy) Just joshing you: diversity of opinion is what keeps us from being pawns to our political masters of any party.

Regards, Steve P2125

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks Steve,

Tim, my God, she was only in her 20's, how incredibly tragic! I've heard them talk of the dangers of tanning beds, but I had no idea it could turn out like that.

Were there missed symptoms or is melanoma so quick that they could not catch it in time?

Pat

Supporter
Very good point Veek, thanks.

II was very lucky, they got it all and Cemo was not needed.

There were several guys around me in the Hospital that were not as lucky!

Yikes Jim!! I'm glad you're OK.

GREAT Advice about the colonoscopy. As my doctor pointed out, this getting old thing will catch up and eventually kill you you so no sense in giving it a head start by ignoring these checks.
Terry/Tim, great point about tanning beds, my doctor says they can be worse than regular sunlight and the number of young teens starting to have problems is growing at an alarming rate.

Last edited:
Thanks Steve,

Tim, my God, she was only in her 20's, how incredibly tragic! I've heard them talk of the dangers of tanning beds, but I had no idea it could turn out like that.

Were there missed symptoms or is melanoma so quick that they could not catch it in time?

Jim,

Yes it can be bery rapid and aggresive even if caught early. That is why it is particularly important for light skinned folks to stay on top of any suspect growths/lesions

Tim

Pat

Supporter
Jim,

Yes it can be bery rapid and aggresive even if caught early. That is why it is particularly important for light skinned folks to stay on top of any suspect growths/lesions

Tim

Sadly true, my Mom (in her 40s at the time) was gone in two weeks after they diagnosed it. It had metastasized to her lymph nodes, lungs, and brain. For a month before that, she thought it was a flu bug she couldn't shake.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Veek,

What a terrible loss, you must have been quite young, it's hard to imagine how difficult it must have been, going through early life without a mom.

Pat

Supporter
Thanks Jim, maybe the message to get the health exams will prevent another loss like that.

Charlie Farley

Supporter
They gonna soon find out this cancer sh+t is started by viruses, soon.
Talking about skin cancer in strange places, which never see sunlight,
how about one in the groin ? Took me by surprise. And of course, just my luck, surgical team were all women !!
How embarrissing.....

Last edited:
I went to a health fair at my work when I was 41. I signed up for a skin screen and saw a little lady that turned out to be a dermatologist who saw a spot she said she wanted to remove. When I went to my doctor to get a referral, he said that he could biopsy it. He said he "would be shocked if it was anything" as it was a little flat fringy pear-shaped spot. The little lady knew what she saw as it was melanoma and I ended up having a half dollar sized slice of skin removed (Mohs). Everyone should get a screen each year from an actual dermatologist. I've seen skin surgeons for screens and they do not detect suspect spots like you would think. They are mole removers and not mole finders.

I've lived in Florida since 1993 and have had an annual appointment with my dermotolgist since 1995. The closest I've ever had to cancer is a "Pre-Pre-Pre-cancerous" mole removed. I've had a lot of moles removed and biopsied; wound care is a bitch, especially for those ones where you can't reach them. But considering the alternative, that inconvenience is nothing.

I'm Johnny Fair Skin living in a semi-tropical climate. Stands to reason, I'll be doing this for the rest of my life.

Back