6L Diesel Fords - 2006+

Ron Earp

Admin
Anyone (Rick) know solid specific info on the 2006+ 6L diesel Ford trucks?

• How are the 2006 6L engines for overall reliability?
  • How are the 2006 6L engines for fuel economy compared to the 7.3PS and the new 6.7L PS (2wd comparisons would be best)?
  • Were there a lot of software/firmware updates or dealer service recalls that need to be done to a 2006 truck?
If anyone has any specific ownership experiences I'd love to hear them. The 2003-2005 6L diesels were notorious for having problems but many sources cite 2006 as a turning point for the engine when International redesigned a boatload of parts on the engine. I know the engine went 6.4L in like 2008 or so, but I'm specifically wanting information on the 2006/2007 6L engines.

Thanks,
Ron

Ron,

My mom has had a F250 with one in it for 3 years now. The two main issues I know of with that motor were EGR valves and weak headbolts. She has replaced the EGR but has had no issues with the headbolts. She fulltimes in a 5th wheel so she is towing all the time. I have heard that they are bulletproof if you remove the EGR along with a propper tune and replace the head bolts with ARP studs.

Ron Earp

Admin
Was it an 2006+? My reading indicates those issues were supposed to have been fixed as well.

Thanks for the reply and keeping on topic. So many of these questions I ask about the 6L (on other forums) end up having many posts of "I have a 7.3 PS and you should buy one of those" sorts of affairs. Yes, the 7.3L PS is a great engine but it isn't what I inquired about.

Ron

Was it an 2006+? My reading indicates those issues were supposed to have been fixed as well.

Thanks for the reply and keeping on topic. So many of these questions I ask about the 6L (on other forums) end up having many posts of "I have a 7.3 PS and you should buy one of those" sorts of affairs. Yes, the 7.3L PS is a great engine but it isn't what I inquired about.

Ron

I just called and hers is a 2004

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Ron

Ron,

The headbolt issue is not that common. The EGR cooler is a more common concern. The problem with the EGR cooler is that it is the highest point in the cooling system so if you run the coolant down via leak, head gasket, etc. the EGR cooler does not see coolant. The exhaust temperature rises in the EGR cooler and gets hot enough to melt the furnace brazing that holds the cooler together. There are better aftermarket coolers available but the key is to not let the coolant level drop.

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info. I might call you if I get serious about the truck. Right now I'm collecting information and seeing what the dealer might offer.

It is a 2WD standard cab 6L diesel six speed manual. Basically a stripper, even has roll up windows. I have visions of chopping the frame and putting a short bed on it, something that my local welding shop has done a few of and apparently isn't that hard to pull off.

The truck 172 miles on it, never used on the road and has been sitting inside a heated garage for the last five years. Turns out that the owner bought it to start a hauling business but that got washed up within a few months of germination due to health issues. It has one more year of engine/power train warranty on it (so I'm told).

I do have the VIN # but my local Ford dealer wasn't helpful with pulling information, TSBs, and the like. I did talk to two of their techs about the truck and neither had kind words for the 6.0/6.4L engine family. Basically told me what I expected - "7.3 PS, great engine; new 6.7 PS awesome engine so far, those 6.0/6.4s are trouble".

R

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Hi Rick,

Thanks for the info. I might call you if I get serious about the truck. Right now I'm collecting information and seeing what the dealer might offer.

It is a 2WD standard cab 6L diesel six speed manual. Basically a stripper, even has roll up windows. I have visions of chopping the frame and putting a short bed on it, something that my local welding shop has done a few of and apparently isn't that hard to pull off.

The truck 172 miles on it, never used on the road and has been sitting inside a heated garage for the last five years. Turns out that the owner bought it to start a hauling business but that got washed up within a few months of germination due to health issues. It has one more year of engine/power train warranty on it (so I'm told).

I do have the VIN # but my local Ford dealer wasn't helpful with pulling information, TSBs, and the like. I did talk to two of their techs about the truck and neither had kind words for the 6.0/6.4L engine family. Basically told me what I expected - "7.3 PS, great engine; new 6.7 PS awesome engine so far, those 6.0/6.4s are trouble".

R

Ron,

get me the VIN and i will check it out. There will likely not be any real warranty history with the non-use but updates as relates to the VION will be available.

The 6.0 got a bad rap. They did have issues early on and some were "bad seeds". As we used to say "with a partner like International, we don't need an enemy!"

Yes, the 7.3s were bulletproof. I have a friend that hauls for me that just bought a 2001 dually crew with a 7.3 in Atlanta and got 25 MPG on the return trip. However I know 6.0s getting good mileage and running well. They go like stink when they run right.

Ron, I question the idea of shortening a regular cab Super Duty. Yes, you can use the six foot pickup from a Supercab or Crew Cab but Ford never built a short bed regular cab SD and the stability of a wheelbase less than the 133" standard cab would start to concern me with the 250.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
They are a headache. By contrast, a close friend of mine has 700K on his 7.4, towing heavy trailers and 6000 lbs of tools in the truck itself, and it still runs fine. An older 7.4 might be the way to go...

Ron Earp

Admin
I don't even think I'm going to consider it. I'm not in the market for a new truck and was only interested in it because I happened upon the truck while surfing. The rap sheet on the 6/6.4L motors is just too long for me. It looks like the issues are known and can be fixed, but there are a lot of them. And the head bolt issue requires major surgery to rectify.

I'll go back to being happy with what I have until another opportunity comes along. I've got 102k on the Lightning with never a failure or break down. Still runs well, pulls strong, and burns no oil.

R

Back