Loss of one of our finest airman.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Some of you with pilots licences may be sad to learn of the loss of one of the Red Arrow Pilots during the final phases of a display flight in Bournemouth , on the south coast of England, yesterday afternoon.
Obviously no explanations as to why yet though there was a possibility
of trying to avoid a built up area. Seemingly no attempt to eject though the seat was found empty in the nearby river.
Very sad day with this loss of a very high profile Pilot.

This was a topic of much discussion last night. And my sympathies are with the family and friends of the pilot.
The Red Arrows are a muched loved British institution and the loss of this pilot will be keenly felt by anyone who has seen one of their displays.

David Morton

Lifetime Supporter
Mike - Apparently this was from one of the first of two people on the scene who seemed to be quite a credible eye witness. The two of them jumped into the river when they saw the seat and probably its canopy, but it was all empty. Then they saw the other parachute in the river and went to that and found the pilot in the river as well. By that time, apparently he had died from his major injuries. That seems to be all that has been disclosed at the moment.
Apparently the canopy was broken but not (MDC) fragmented. There may have been a sequencing failure as it seems the seat may have hit the canopy and broke the canopy but not shattering it , before ending up in the river and subsequently releasing him from the seat due to the low baro alt . All speculation which, as always will be totally wrong.

Just been advised there was a mayday on the tower frequency but it may also have been a relay from the aeroplane in trail. The subject aeroplane stil had smoke on until disappearing from view but the aeroplane in trail stopped smoke overhead the same area.

Last edited:
If you have ever seen these guys there superb but I suppose eventually something like this can and will happen.
As long as the MOD dont use this as an excuse to stop them flying .
Keep them in the air.
Sorry for the loss

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
What a terrible shame!

I so love watching military jet shows, but the very real danger, that comes with flying high performance aircraft at low altitude can take the best. RIP.

Back